Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bands which - no matter how good - are absolutely nobody's favourite band.

Mister Mister

Huey Lewis and The News

The Fixx

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    Huey Lewis and The News
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically.

Comment

The Boomtown Rats

Comment

Sky

Comment

Indeed.

But remain nobody's favourite band.

[Er...to Stumpy.]

Comment

I'd say Saga, but somewhere in Germany, Saga is still someone's favourite band.

Comment

Huey Lewis and the News are a band that would come to your town, you could take your best girl, they would put on a great show so you could forget the working week for a few hours. If rock and roll is about anything it's about that.

I like Huey Lewis and the News.

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Well, they were Patrick Bateman's favourite band. (That was the gag, at any rate.)

Comment

Ah fuck.

Damn you adams house cat. Damn you to heck.

Comment

Er, thank you WOM.

Comment

Tears For Fears
                        Del Amitri
                        Elbow

Not so terrible they couldn't have hit singles, and put out multiple albums and for most of them to sell well. But you couldn't imagine people proudly wearing their T-shirts around town. Could you?

Comment

Toto.

Comment

I'd say Saga, but somewhere in Germany, Saga is still someone's favourite band.
                            Surely that's James Last, and it's everybody in Germany?

Comment

Ah, Tears for Fears. First year university, I lived in a squalid rooming house. Across the hall was Marty, who was an ex-con taking computer programming at community college. And next to him was Dan, who was schizophrenic and was attending some vocational training courses. After dinner, Dan would put on The Hurting and listen to Side A...then Side B....then Side A...then Side B....then Side A....then....eventually he'd go to bed.

After two weeks of this, Marty and I went downtown and bought a box of ten blank cassettes and each made him 5 mixtapes. Dan had never realized that there was anything more than The Hurting to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                Tears For Fears
                                Del Amitri
                                Elbow
                                I know someone whose favourite band is Then Jerico. If they can attract at least one fan giving them top ranking, I suspect that all three mentioned above can.

Comment

An acquaintance of mine was a huge fan of Del Amitri. Could never understand why.

Comment

I knew a guy who was mental on Elbow and I Am Kloot. He had weird musical tastes, that guy.

I also had a friend (since passed) who was into practically everyone dodgy from Hootie and The Blowfish to Brand New Heavies to Jamiroquai. If they were somewhat suspect, he was all-in.

Comment

With Elbow, I think that precisely the same quality that fans enjoy as warm, life won authenticity is what non-believers find monumentally boring.

Comment

If anyone’s favourite band is M People, they should be more pitied than hated. Though Heather Small and Mike Pickering deserve all the hate and negative waves sent their way. That fucking voice.

Comment

they would put on a great show so you could forget the working week for a few hours.

Having seen Huey Lewis & The News live, I can confirm this to be the case. They're fucking great. Also, a really relaxed crowd where we ended up happily chatting to complete strangers after the gig (and John Inverdale).

They'd have been measurably worse if they hadn't thought to do this, though.

Comment

I have a friend whose favourite band is Mud. Now, I like Mud but, before meeting him, they would have been a band I oddly have nominated for this thread.

Tin Machine (I know they aren't really a band)
                                            The Darkness
                                            Wings
                                            Sleeper, Echobelly, Elastica, all that lot
                                            Fun Lovin' Criminals
                                            Groove Armada
                                            Saxon
                                            Any of my bands, it appears.

Comment

Fine Young Cannibals.

Comment

Deacon Blue.

Comment

everyone dodgy from Hootie and The Blowfish to Brand New Heavies to Jamiroquai. If they were somewhat suspect, he was all-in.
                                                  What do you mean 'dodgy' and 'suspect'?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X