X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different procedure to last year

Dinner For One to be shown on British TV for the first time
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...for-first-time

I wasn't aware of this until I spent new year with a Scnweizerdeutsch friend who excitedly sat me dow to watch it, and couldn't believe I'd never seen it. I only laughed at the last line.

I'm a sucker for a bit of slapstick, and having found it n Youtube it had me giggling quite a bit.

Comment

Last New Year's Eve, Dinner For One was broadcast something like 25 times on the various regional and national state channels.

I've got the same surname as the butler in Dinner For One. If I had one euro for every time somebody, upon hearing my surname, has said "Cheerio, Miss Sophie!", I reckon I'd have, ooh, about 79 euros.

Comment

It is big in Australia too, according to my aunt in Perth.

Comment

Even Germans who speak no English can say, "same procedure as every year."

I'm a Dinner für Brot man myself.
          Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 15-12-2018, 12:06.

Comment

Is that Bernd das Brot? You've got a thing about him, haven't you?

Comment

The first time I saw it, Dinner For One was fairly amusing. The returns have been diminishing with every repeated viewing.

As some people here may know, I have a famous Nobel Peace laureate next-door neighbour, whose name I don't want to mention here. Some years ago, his wife was entertaining us, and her illustrious husband had the job of filling our glasses with refreshments. To reach the kitchen, her had to cross the living room. In which there was a rug. Over which he stumbled every time he had to cross the living from. That obviously reminded me of the tripping butler James. I was itching to make a Dinner For One reference, but I don't think anyone would have caught it. If they had, I might have said something like "Dinner For Two & Two".

Comment

'Different procedure from last year.'

Comment

"Different to"'s all right as well, though, isn't it?

Comment

'Different to' seems to be accepted these days, it's true. It doesn't actually make sense, however: something cannot 'differ to' something else, after all.

Sorry - just another bugbear of mine.

Comment

Oxford Dictionaries

Different to is common in Britain, but is disliked by traditionalists. The argument against it is based on the relation of different to differ, which is used with from; but this is a flawed argument which is contradicted by other pairs of words such as accord (with) and according (to)

Comment

I gave it no thought, "different to" just seemed right.
                        And if that upsets the traditionalists, then sorry grandad(s), get with it.

Comment

And some people believe that 'could of/should of/etc' sound 'right' as well.

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                          Oxford Dictionaries
                          That argument doesn't equate though: those are two completely different uses of a word that has broader meaning anyway.

Up to the individual, I suppose. I know which I'd use.

Comment

Back to the main topic:
                            I'm sure this was re-discovered in Britain about ten years ago, and even shown on New Year's Eve (by Channel 4?) two or three years running.

Comment

Working...
                            X