No announcement yet.

Artists you like that hardly anyone else on OTF does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ever gig with Mrs Thistle was a Morrissey gig. That gig was also noteworthy as the first time I'd heard any of his songs. He was a very good performer. The music was alright, I spose.

Comment

I think I have the answer. In the era of self-important, dirgey overproduced anthems of the 2000s, of Travis and Keane and Snowplay and Cold Patrol, a band called Lowgold released a couple of albums of self-important, dirgey overproduced anthems. I was reminded today - by the fact that a couple of their songs came on shuffle from my phone - that I actually really like those albums. And I'd be astonished if any other OTFers did.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
        Oh come on, The Carpenters were rehabilitated as cool by indie kids as far back as the early 90s and are on every music snob's "cheesy pop it's ok to like" list alongside ABBA and Toxic by Britney Spears, they're hardly controversial. I still fucking hate them, mind.
        I guess a lot of that was down to Thurston Moore's Karen-obsession at the start of that decade. But I'd take The Carpenters over Abba anyday - Karen possessed a unique voice: some of the productions are cloying and way OTT, but Close to You and Only Yesterday are great songs in anyone's language.

I heard Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) earlier on the radio - Kenny Rogers had his moments, y'know.

Comment

Level 42, especially the earlier more jazz-funk style stuff, but I even like the song 'Running in the Family'.

Billy Joel had his moments (I have a real soft spot for 'Scenes From an Italian Restaurant'), and I bet he puts on a good live show. 'We Didn't Start the Fire' remains truly horrible, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            I heard Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) earlier on the radio - Kenny Rogers had his moments, y'know.
            Not really representative of his career though. The First Edition were pretty much a pop group (at least in their early incarnation).

Anyroad, there are few adult men who can't sing the chorus of The Gambler.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              Playing bass on that song was Joe Osborn, who died on Friday.

And that reminds me: I like a lot of The Partridge Family, which was essentially David Cassidy, who was a decent singer, backed by the group of the Wrecking Crew that also played on all those famous Simon & Garfunkel and Carpenters tracks -- specifically Osborn, Hal Blaine, Larry Knechtel, Tommy Tedesco.

Comment

And Glen Campbell did the backwards guitar part on Just Dropped In …

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                  Not really representative of his career though. The First Edition were pretty much a pop group (at least in their early incarnation).
                  I appreciate that, but it was nevertheless a fine moment. As was Ruby - which perhaps gave greater indication of his later solo work.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                    Level 42, especially the earlier more jazz-funk style stuff, but I even like the song 'Running in the Family'.
                    I like Level 42 - and Jamiroquai, for that matter.

Comment

"Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town" pales in any version to the 1976 version by the song's writer, Mel Tillis.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                        I like Level 42 - and Jamiroquai, for that matter.
                        Aahaha. Almost got me there, but then I looked at the calendar and...oh...uh....

Comment

The first Jamiroquai album contains a couple of okay moments, IMO.

And Level 42's The Sun Goes Down (Living It Up) was a fine single.

So sue me.

Comment

I saw Level 42 in concert when that Something About You was on the charts. Clearly excellent musicians, but the songs generally felt a bit tepid.

Opening act was some dire local outfit called Cats Can Fly. They held their 'hit' Flippin' To The A-Side right til the end, like wise performers.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                              I saw Level 42 in concert when that Something About You was on the charts. Clearly excellent musicians, but the songs generally felt a bit tepid.

Opening act was some dire local outfit called Cats Can Fly. They held their 'hit' Flippin' To The A-Side right til the end, like wise performers.
                              I've neither seen Level 42 nor had much warmth towards their output, but I did hear Mark King on the Word podcast recently (he may not have been on recently, I tend to catch up in batches) and he was surprisingly good value and more self-aware than you'd usually expect from a big-in-the-80s pop star.

Comment

Looking back at Morrissey 1983-1987 based on what we now know, we could infer that we deceived ourselves back then about how cutting edge he really was. He was a huge contrast to the Thatcherite pop of that era so timing was really the key but it is notable that he got nowhere in 1978-81when the competition was hotter.

OTOH a track like This Night Has Opened My Eyes would be amazing in any era. It expresses empathy which the solo Mozza has never had AFAIK.

Comment

Yeah, Jamiroquai have some decent tunes. Doesn't stop Jay Kay being a colossal wanker.

Comment

I really like 'Virtual Insanity'.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                      Yeah, Jamiroquai have some decent tunes. Doesn't stop Jay Kay being a colossal wanker.
                                      True, but removing all the colossal wankers, curmudgeons, egomaniacs and criminals from my record collection would result in some serious thinning.

Comment

The Stylistics. "Betcha by golly wow" is wonderful. As is "Stone In Love With You."

I really like the Carpenters.

I like Hall and Oates, Robert Palmer, Anita Baker, The O'Jays.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          So how many other OTFers enjoy The Carpenters?
                                          The Carpenters Christmas Collection is the background music to our tree decoration every year.

Comment

And as G'Man says, there are some old skool 70s soul fans here. Count me in. Harold Melvin, Blue Magic, The Intruders...

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                                              The Stylistics. "Betcha by golly wow" is wonderful. As is "Stone In Love With You."

I really like the Carpenters.

I like Hall and Oates, Robert Palmer, Anita Baker, The O'Jays.
                                              I like the O'Jays too. And Jamiroquai.

Comment

Altered Images; I really liked them at the time and still think BITE is an underappreciated album of the early 80s

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  Altered Images; I really liked them at the time and still think BITE is an underappreciated album of the early 80s
                                                  Nah, reckon they are a safe bet in this demographic.

We were talking about them at work last week, when someone was singing out loud and another asked what the song was, and got the reply "Snakes in the Grass, by Claire Rogan". It was of course, "Go Wild in the Country" by Bow Wow Wow.

Comment

Yep I’d reckon half the board still hold a candle for Ms Grogan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X