Artists you like that hardly anyone else on OTF does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    On this tack I suspect I'm the only one on here who has seen The Alarm five times on the same tour. In my defence i was 17 and susceptible to that sort of testosterone fuelled air punching stuff, which soon passed when I was old enough to go to the local indie night club. However I have seen Mike Peters a couple of times since, including an album in full / story telling sort of evening maybe three years ago, and I'll maintain that some of the songs still stand up, removed by time from the bombastic presentation.
    I was in a pub next door to an Alarm gig a couple of years ago and ,based on seeing them leaving, it was the most spectacularly drunk audience I've ever seen in my life, I saw them support U2 at their mid eighties pomp and they certainly knew how to get a crowd going.

Comment

I have a soft spot for the Beautiful South and Paul Heaton's solo stuff. In terms of my record collection they stick out like a sore thumb when compared to the hardcore punk, electronica and hip-hop that dominates. If you constructed a Venn diagram of liking then and Laibach I would be the only point of intersection.

Comment

I remember seeing them do "Where Were You Hiding When The Storm Broke?" on Top Of The Pops and admiring them for doing the air-punching and guitar-lifting even though they were miming.

They're still shit, though.

Comment

I'd love to see The Beautiful South doing 'Where Were You Hiding When The Storm Broke?' on Top of The Pops.

Comment

Anyway, I have almost everything TBS did, but listen to none of it any more. And I liked The Housemartins, too. Dave Hemingway still can't sing.

Comment

The Housemartins and TBS were two bands that I liked a lot of their stuff but never went out and bought any of it, I have TBS greatest hits on CD somewhere but I haven't played it in years, might dig it out later.

Comment

Great programme on Channel 4 this week about Paul Heaton - From Hull to Heatongrad. Well worth an hour or so of your time if you like his stuff.

Norman Cook is good value on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Midnight Oil (I used to be obsessed with them)
                  Diesel and Dust is a great album.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                    I'm a fan. Seen em a few times and have some of their early work.
                    If you're still of the persuasion, their last album "For All Kings" is well worth a listen. It's a very good modern metal album.

Comment

I listen to Mansun and Fish-era Marillion by choice.

Comment

Someone mentioned Shoegazing...

I have most of the Thousand Yard Stare back catalogue. I put Mappamundi on in the kitchen just the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                          I listen to Mansun and Fish-era Marillion by choice.
                          We have a winner.

Comment

Natalie Imbruglia.

Saw her live this year in fact, and bought a mug at the merch which said "Nothing's right" round the side and "I'm torn" on the base.
                            That’s excellent.

Comment

I'm in the Garbage gang, however small.
                              Garbage are great. I’d like to see them live.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 15-12-2018, 17:51.

Comment

Has Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong had a mention yet? Quite like a bit of Dido.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  Diesel and Dust is a great album.
                                  They’re one of my favorite ten bands of all time. In college, they were my favorite. I have all their albums on cassette (up to when those stopped being released) and on CD. I’ve also listened to Peter Garrett read his autobiography on audible. (Not that exciting.)
                                  Unfortunately, I’ve only seen them live once, but it was at 930 in DC and it was spectacular.

Comment

Chicago. All eras.

Comment

I liked Chicago Transit Authority a lot, and still play it a fair amount. I even put Someday on my Christmas CD this year. I was lucky enough to see their UK debut at the Albert Hall and it was jawdropping. But after Terry Kath died they became kinda pobsy I think.

Comment

I saw Chicago live two years ago and liked them without being blown away.

Comment

Jethro Tull.

Comment

Tom Petty.

Comment

Dr Hook. I've seen Dennis Locorriere live. He's excellent.

Bon Jovi. They had some great songs in the late 80s / early 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                Someone mentioned Shoegazing...

I have most of the Thousand Yard Stare back catalogue. I put Mappamundi on in the kitchen just the other day.
                                                Yeah, they were my favourite from that genre.

I suspect I’m not alone in this, but mentioning The Alarm reminded me of Big Country, who were resolutely unfashionable with the cool kids back in the day - but quite brilliant live. 17 years tomorrow since we lost Stuart Adamson, where does the time go?

My two oddball choices - Transvision Vamp and Then Jericho. Don’t listen to them now, but loved them when they were current.

Comment

I really like a lot of shoegaze music and it's really only a dogmatic and short-sighted music press of the 90s that gave it a bad name.

My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Flying Saucer Attack, all seriously influential bands in the UK and especially abroad, FSA is the US underground notably. And you'd struggle to find a more original band than Seefeel, whose work sounds fresher with every passing year, who came directly out of that lineage.

Comment

How about Family? Music in a Doll's House, Family Entertainment, Fearless...Roger Chapman with his highly distinctive voice...John Whitney...but I suspect I've lost most of you already.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X