• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ash

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
      You're all playing in the shallow end.

I like some Dire Straits and some Eagles stuff.
      Me too, but not much.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        Anthrax.
        I'm a fan. Seen em a few times and have some of their early work.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          Patchoulioil glugging single trick ponies.
          I thought that was Rush.

Comment

System Of A Down. I'll admit Serj's voice can be divisive.

Comment

Nothing to wake you up in the morning like "Boom".

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
              My nomination would be Lloyd Cole, both sin and con Commotions.
              Surely you are not alone there. The music of Lloyd Cole is wonderful.

Oh, I love the Eagles. And some of Dire Straits as well, though the only one of their albums I have is Making Movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Ash
                I think we're in a club of two. My children are addicted to Kung Fu now...

Comment

Bauhaus are great.

Comment

That is taking it to another level. Talking of which, does anyone want to claim etc...

My shout would be Ezio. Who most of you will probably never have heard of (edit - actually our Germany-based posters may have done, and those from Cambridge of course), or for those with longer memories will only know from Tony Blair selecting one of their songs for Desert Island Discs. If ever there was an undeserved kiss of death for a band, it was that.

They are probably a better live band than on record because the singer-songwriter (um, Ezio) is a witty and charismatic stage presence.

Anyway, here is one of their songs

Last edited by Janik; 15-12-2018, 10:01.

Comment

Natalie Imbruglia.

Saw her live this year in fact, and bought a mug at the merch which said "Nothing's right" round the side and "I'm torn" on the base.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                        I think we're in a club of two. My children are addicted to Kung Fu now...
                        Your kids are all right. Guess they like Angel Interceptor too?

I should say my fondness for Ash tails off quite abruptly around the time of the Meltdown album when they got a bit too self absorbed and serious.

Comment

And Jack Names the Planets

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Terrorvision and the Levellers are the best candidates I have.
                            I like Terrorvision. Not as much as Mrs Thistle does but I've seen them live numerous times and will probably see them next year on the 25th anniversary tour of HTMFAIP.

My candidate: Ace of Base. I've got Happy Nation in the car. It's brill.

Comment

Oh and some more:

Country Music, generally. Specifically Darius Rucker, the Avett Brothers, Ward Thomas, and Dolly.

George Ezra
                              Bastille
                              Midnight Oil (I used to be obsessed with them)
                              I think WOM and I are in an OTF club of 2 with regards to the Tragically Hip - the only band I've ever followed round the country as they toured
                              The various Muppets albums
                              Garbage

I like the Eagles, too, SB.

Comment

I used to like Lloyd Cole & The Commotions but never really followed up his solo stuff for some reason. Dire Straits aren't nearly as bad as their reputation would have it (see threads passim).

SB and PT really need to get a grip when it comes to the Eagles though.

I like Northside.

Comment

Benjm (my office, after school) only disses the Eagles cos none of his family ever went out with any of them

It's Naartsoide surely?

There really isn't enough love for the Guildford Stranglers (and their inspiring older brothers, the Doors. He lives...)
                                  Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 15-12-2018, 12:10.

Comment

Shocking allegations, DG.

Now I shall forever picture you cruising along Dudley High Street in a massive convertible, sporting faded double denim and nodding along to those sweet soft rock sounds.

The Noddy statue was an impressive piece of brickwork, although rather lost in the enormity of (can I bring myself to type it....) Grand Central.

Comment

Now yer talking. For non-locals, Dudley even has its own Ventura Highway. Though it's tough to evoke Californian sunshine on a mini-bypass linking Asda's car park with the Health Centre and remnants of canalside industry...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Oh and some more:

Country Music, generally. Specifically Darius Rucker, the Avett Brothers, Ward Thomas, and Dolly.

George Ezra
                                        Bastille
                                        Midnight Oil (I used to be obsessed with them)
                                        I think WOM and I are in an OTF club of 2 with regards to the Tragically Hip - the only band I've ever followed round the country as they toured
                                        The various Muppets albums
                                        Garbage

I like the Eagles, too, SB.
                                        I'm in the Garbage gang, however small.

Comment

Primal Scream are a weird one for me.

I quite liked Screamadelica but was far too indie to really get it, but that southern rock confederate flag follow-up turned me right off them and that's how it stayed until one night 2000.
                                          Life was shite, marriage break up and a young son. I was out-of-touch with everything music and feeling a bit lost until one evening I happened to catch Jools Holland's show and there were Primal Scream lined up across the stage, three guitars, one in an aeronautical helmet playing tracks from xtrmntr. Don't know how and don't care why but it was my wake-up call. Was it revolutionary, not at all in the great scheme but for me personally it was the all. That album turned everything around for me, when people talk about the power of music, well xtrmntr was that record for me.

So out of thanks for that I've followed them since (except the flag one - that can fuck right off) but they never quite hit that mark again. Evil Heat's pretty good, Vanishing Point in places and they've done some enjoyable tunes, Country Girl for instance. Beautiful Future was meh. I got More Light and quite liked it for a couple of weeks but never bothered with their last release. Nothing they ever do again will compare to that rush and kick up the arse I got from that one album, perfect from start to finish.

Do I like Primal Scream, well over the course of three decades their music's been alright, but for a brief moment they were the perfect encapsulation of a personally revolutionary rock and roll so for that I'll always love them.

Comment

What's the concensus on the early 90s Thames Valley/ Shoegazing bands then?

Slowdive and Chapterhouse are still very welcome regulars on my playlists.

And I'll add my name to the Ash fanclub (though not really listened past Twilight of the Innocents) but the greatest hits is a regular in the car stereo as it's one thing Ms G and myself agree on.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              I'm in the Garbage gang, however small.
                                              I fancied Shirley Manson and quite like "I Think I'm Paranoid". Am I in the gang or not?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                I fancied Shirley Manson and quite like "I Think I'm Paranoid". Am I in the gang or not?
                                                We'll take what we can.

Comment

I bought and like Liam Gallagher's solo album.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                    I think WOM and I are in an OTF club of 2 with regards to the Tragically Hip - the only band I've ever followed round the country as they toured .
                                                    On this tack I suspect I'm the only one on here who has seen The Alarm five times on the same tour. In my defence i was 17 and susceptible to that sort of testosterone fuelled air punching stuff, which soon passed when I was old enough to go to the local indie night club. However I have seen Mike Peters a couple of times since, including an album in full / story telling sort of evening maybe three years ago, and I'll maintain that some of the songs still stand up, removed by time from the bombastic presentation.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X