Artists you like that hardly anyone else on OTF does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I think WOM and I are in an OTF club of 2 with regards to the Tragically Hip - the only band I've ever followed round the country as they toured.
    No lie, but I saw the Blu-ray for Long Time Running just today and thought of you.

Anyway, Tenpole Tudor. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
      Tom Petty.
      I like Tom Petty.

Comment

I think Mumford and Sons are alright and certainly don’t understand the white-hot hate they engender in so many critics and OTFera. It seems to be mostly be an objection to anyone who went to private school playing accoustic instruments while wearing a vest. Life is too short to worry about things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
          How about Family? Music in a Doll's House, Family Entertainment, Fearless...Roger Chapman with his highly distinctive voice...John Whitney...but I suspect I've lost most of you already.
          Not at all. Best band Leicester ever produced. Saw them maybe half a dozen times during my time there. MiaDH should have been a massive album but it was horribly over-produced by Dave Mason. There were maybe half-a-dozen tracks on it that killed live, and would have made great singles if left "as-is."

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I think Mumford and Sons are alright and certainly don’t understand the white-hot hate they engender in so many critics and OTFera. It seems to be mostly be an objection to anyone who went to private school playing accoustic instruments while wearing a vest. Life is too short to worry about things like that.
            I don't think those are the cause of the objections. The fake "Oirish" burr Marcus Mumford seems to affect as he sings is a far bigger issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
              Not at all. Best band Leicester ever produced. Saw them maybe half a dozen times during my time there. MiaDH should have been a massive album but it was horribly over-produced by Dave Mason. There were maybe half-a-dozen tracks on it that killed live, and would have made great singles if left "as-is."
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3lRVxGrDQ

Comment

Def Leppard
                The Blasters
                Cheap Trick

Comment

Def Leppard just put out a best-of that I gave a long look at today. Cheap Trick are fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                    I don't think those are the cause of the objections. The fake "Oirish" burr Marcus Mumford seems to affect as he sings is a far bigger issue.
                    That’s not how I remember it.

I think he sounds more faux-American.

Comment

With the possible exception of johnr, I suspect that my continuing enjoyment of 70's Prog will find little backing here. Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Greenslade, PFM, Focus, Bo Hansson, Hatfield & The North, early Yes and ELP, Soft Machine - I still listen to them regularly alongside the jazz that is my main musical love.

Comment

That’s not how I remember it.

I think he sounds more faux-American.
                        Well, whatever it is... a band selling themselves on something vaguely resembling authenticity having a singer with a fake accent... it's going to piss people off.

Comment

Yup. That's one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                            With the possible exception of johnr, I suspect that my continuing enjoyment of 70's Prog will find little backing here. Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, Greenslade, PFM, Focus, Bo Hansson, Hatfield & The North, early Yes and ELP, Soft Machine - I still listen to them regularly alongside the jazz that is my main musical love.
                            *waves*

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                              Me too. I also like the Moody Blues.

Comment

My main objection to them is that they're really shit.

What's that? oh. Well, right. They represent a form of "folk" music which is neither a) "authentic" or b) any bloody good. Just listen to HMHB for a relatively authentic, modern take on folk storytelling. Or just listen to Jake Thackray, or Nick Drake. Anything that basically isn't giving money to bloody Mumford and bloody Sons.
                                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 15-12-2018, 22:27. Reason: "authenticity" is overrated

Comment

Top reference to Jake Thackray. Always liked him. He used to show up on "ATV Today". Or was it "Midlands Today"? Whatever, I liked him.

Comment

You know what? Listen to Chas n' Dave.

Not even kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                      Diesel and Dust is a great album.
                                      Yeh, the Oils are still one of my favourites. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Warakurna off that album is my favourite song of all time. Ever.

They did a lot of great stuff before and after Diesel and Dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Someone mentioned Shoegazing...

I have most of the Thousand Yard Stare back catalogue. I put Mappamundi on in the kitchen just the other day.
                                        Tragedy No.6 was one of my favourite songs of the early 90s. Always takes me straight back there whenever I listen to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          No lie, but I saw the Blu-ray for Long Time Running just today and thought of you.

Anyway, Tenpole Tudor. Really.
                                          Who could object to Tenpole Tudor?

Comment

A thousand men, at least.
                                            Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 16-12-2018, 02:28. Reason: Got me numbers wrong, mate.

Comment

Anyway. Not sure how small the minority is, but I'll go with The Bonzo Dog Band (or The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, if you will).

I reckon that's me and AdeC (if I had to guess).

Comment

The Stylistics

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                  Well, whatever it is... a band selling themselves on something vaguely resembling authenticity having a singer with a fake accent... it's going to piss people off.
                                                  Mick Jagger sounds fake-American too. It’s an old tradition.

I’m not aware of M&S, or any band, ever claiming to be “authentic.” They just use a lot of acoustic instruments because people like the sound of wood. That’s not new. Neither is that observation. I stole it from David Bowie.

If new music that sounds sort of like old music bothers people, then the problem isn’t in the music.

Britons don’t seem to like other Britons being uncynical and guileless.

It might be worth asking why M&S are more famous and popular than thousands of other bands doing basically the same thing, but that’s true of a lot of bands. I guess they just have a better manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                                    Anyway. Not sure how small the minority is, but I'll go with The Bonzo Dog Band (or The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, if you will).

I reckon that's me and AdeC (if I had to guess).
                                                    You might be right (The Intro and Outro was another track that went on my CD this Christmas) though I'd hope for a few more, any Monty Python lovers would surely be included.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X