No announcement yet.

Artists you like that hardly anyone else on OTF does

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone mentioned the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band earlier, the Rutles stuff Neil Innes did as a parody of the Beatles, some of the songs were fantastic and you would swear you were listening to the Beatles themselves.

Comment

My favourite band is a group called The Bathers. Haven't seen anyone else mention them here.

Comment

The Rutles soundtrack album is just fantastic. Cheese and Onions is wonderful, especially the prosaic closing note referencing and deflating the bombast of A Day in the Life always makes me chuckle. Let’s be Natural, I think it’s better than Dear Prudence. I Must be In Love is just lovely. The film is not all that funny but.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
          The Rutles soundtrack album is just fantastic. Cheese and Onions is wonderful, especially the prosaic closing note referencing and deflating the bombast of A Day in the Life always makes me chuckle. Let’s be Natural, I think it’s better than Dear Prudence. I Must be In Love is just lovely. The film is not all that funny but.
          Some of the film is good, but most of it is hard work though. The music is fantastic though, Innes sounds so much like Lennon, you would swear you were listening to John. Piggy in the Middle, Ouch and Just Another Day are also brilliant, as is Shangri La on the Archaeology LP.

Comment

The film is not all that funny but.
            The main problem with All You Need Is Cash is that This Is Spinal Tap comes along a few years later, does a similar thing but a lot better.

Comment

Get Up and Go is better than Get Back.

Comment

Idle’s mugging and shit jokes make the film a bit of a chore. This also applies to much of Monty Python.

Comment

Get Up and Go is better than Get Back.
                  Get Up And Go was removed from the original Rutles LP based on the advice from John Lennon who reckoned it was too similar to Get Back and could result in a plagiarism claim from one of the other Beatles who didn't think the film was as funny or the music was as good as John did. I agree though that it is actually better than Get Back.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                    This is a weird thread. There are very few controversial acts nominated here. Mumford & Sons was a good shout. But let's have some real big OTF unspeakables. Let's have people admit to really, really liking Kid Rock, Barry Manilow, James Blunt, Kajagoogoo, Jennifer Rush, Robson & Jerome, Papa Roach, Jive Bunny, Coldplay, Michael Bolton, Will Smith, Bay City Rollers, Limp Bizkit, MC Hammer, Billy Joel, UB40 (post-1982), The Backstreet Boys, auto-tuned rapper Drake, Wet Wet Wet, Pat Boone, Justin Bieber, Vanilla Ice, Ted Nugent...

Of these, I really, really like Billy Joel (but only up to 1983). I also like Wet Wet Wet, and quite enjoy the occasional Bay City Rollers number. I'll defend Manilow's artistry, though I'd not care to have an album of his music.
                    One of the first albums I bought as a youngster was Manilow Magic. Nothing since, but the guy could write and sing a song. The big song on there for me was his version of "Could It Be Magic" bookended by Chopin's Prelude in C Minor, Opus 28, Number 20, which is now one of my favourite pieces of classical music, probably because of that association.

I'm also very partial to Billy Joel's output and share GMan's caution regarding anything post (and to some extent including) An Innocent Man.

I have paid money to go and see Coldplay (at Wembley a couple of years ago). "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" is so good Mark Ronson covered it.

Muse are currently my second favourite band (behind Everything Everything, whom I suspect are more acceptable in these parts). I have seen them five times and will soon make it six.

Add me also to the Dire Straits fan club here (was obsessed until Brothers In Arms and saw them live the night before Live Aid).

Clean Bandit's first album was fantastic, especially the live version with the BBC orchestra.

I will stop here to save peoples' walls, desks and beverage mugs from further punishment...
                    Last edited by statto99; 17-12-2018, 22:26.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
                      My favourite band is a group called The Bathers. Haven't seen anyone else mention them here.
                      Scottish band, I believe. I used to work with someone in the 90s who was a big fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                        Level 42, especially the earlier more jazz-funk style stuff, but I even like the song 'Running in the Family'.
                        That whole album is excellent. Not keen on much else of theirs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
                          I really like 'Virtual Insanity'.
                          Seconded. And basically only that one.

Comment

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
                            Scottish band, I believe. I used to work with someone in the 90s who was a big fan.
                            Yes, from Glasgow. Spawned after Friends Again broke up. A guy called Chris Thomson is the brains behind the band. If you're interested, there's lots of their stuff on YouTube. Gracefruit, If Love Could Last Forever, For Saskia, amongst others are well worth a listen.

Comment

I may just do that. Only recently I discovered Friends Again's "State of Art" video on there. Didn't realise there was a connection. Around the same time I also found a live version of The Trash Can Sinatras' wonderful "Obscurity Knocks".

My favourite artist from that Scottish mid-80s crop was The Big Dish. When frontman Steven Lindsay re-emerged as a solo artist about a decade ago I had the great pleasure of meeting him a few times, sharing a drink with him once or twice and also interviewing him for a website.

Comment

Yep I’d reckon half the board still hold a candle for Ms Grogan.
                                I do. This was one of my favourites.

https://youtu.be/66zVGG2uPG0

Comment

The Wildhearts
                                  Hanoi Rocks
                                  Dogs D’Amour
                                  Backyard Babies

I also have a penchant for over produced warbly European power metal, like Nightwish, Epica, Xandria too.

The kids refuse to let me choose the in-car music

Comment

I may just do that. Only recently I discovered Friends Again's "State of Art" video on there. Didn't realise there was a connection. Around the same time I also found a live version of The Trash Can Sinatras' wonderful "Obscurity Knocks".

My favourite artist from that Scottish mid-80s crop was The Big Dish. When frontman Steven Lindsay re-emerged as a solo artist about a decade ago I had the great pleasure of meeting him a few times, sharing a drink with him once or twice and also interviewing him for a website.
                                    Friends Again unfortunately only recorded one album, Trapped & Unwrapped, but it is a cracker. You can find it on YouTube or iTunes. State of Art is one on my all time favourite songs. Honey At The Core is another belter, as is South of Love, Swallows in the Rain and Sunkissed. James Grant, from Love & Money was also in Friends Again.

I love the Sinatras Wild Mountain Side and Weightlifting.

Like the Big Dish stuff too.

Another great Scottish band that I discovered recently are The Orchids. Again, lots of stuff on YouTube. Tiny Words and No Place Like Home are my favourites but they have lots of great songs.

Comment

Yep I’d reckon half the board still hold a candle for Ms Grogan.
                                      <clears throat, looks innocently in other direction>

Comment

From G-Man's list I like Backstreet Boys. Their Greatest Hits gets a listen or two every couple of years.

I also like Twenty One Pilots so much I'm happily taking my fourteen year old to see them in concert. (They are all he listens to.)

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                                          I also like Twenty One Pilots so much I'm happily taking my fourteen year old to see them in concert.
                                          I find myself in a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
                                            The Wildhearts [like]
                                            Hanoi Rocks [love]
                                            Dogs D’Amour [like]
                                            Backyard Babies [like]

I also have a penchant for over produced warbly European power metal, like Nightwish, Epica, Xandria too.
                                            You're on your own there, mate.

Comment

I find myself in a similar situation.
                                              Yup. I found myself having a much better time at Imagine Dragons than I would have anticipated having.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Cathy Dennis. I like 'Too Many Walls' a lot.
                                                Everybody Move would be my choice.

Comment

Cathy Dennis is a very talented songwriter, but never did it for me as a performer.

In the end she got tired of it and pretty much gave up to concentrate on writing. And very successful she was too.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                                    On this tack I suspect I'm the only one on here who has seen The Alarm five times on the same tour. In my defence i was 17 and susceptible to that sort of testosterone fuelled air punching stuff, which soon passed when I was old enough to go to the local indie night club. However I have seen Mike Peters a couple of times since, including an album in full / story telling sort of evening maybe three years ago, and I'll maintain that some of the songs still stand up, removed by time from the bombastic presentation.
                                                    Me, although it might not have been the same tour, it's a fair few years ago, but still give them a blast every so often. Also saw the Cult a lot, and that was a similar experience. Mike Peters and Billy Duffy were then in Coloursound, who I thought were decent.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X