Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by statto99 View Post
    I find myself in a similar situation.
    And me, except my daughter is 15 (will be 16 by the time of the gig).

Comment

Originally posted by Anorak Smith View Post
      Me, although it might not have been the same tour, it's a fair few years ago, but still give them a blast every so often. Also saw the Cult a lot, and that was a similar experience. Mike Peters and Billy Duffy were then in Coloursound, who I thought were decent.
      Used to be a big fan of The Cult but only saw them once that I can remember - I got into them around the end of the Electric phase and by then they'd moved to L.A. and seemed to tour here less. The one time I can remember seeing them was at Whitley Bay Ice Rink - then the North East's premier indoor gig venue before it was eclipsed by Newcastle's Arena - I was down the front and I got head-butted by a, as it were, radgey. I'm due to go back there in a couple of weeks to use the rink for its original purpose, and will be on my guard this time.

Comment

The Cult were the first band I ever went to see, on the Love tour (so support Cactus World News were I first I did see).

Comment

My favourite album of all-time is '5:55' by Charlotte Gainsbourg. I can't imagine anyone on here being a fan, although I can imagine there's a few fans of her dad, er, Serge.

Comment

5:55 is a great record.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
              5:55 is a great record.
              The first time I listened to it, it sort of threw me, as I couldn't find anything to compare it to. For me, the nearest reference point was 'Court and Spark' by Joni Mitchell, but by the second listen, it was totally embedded.

Comment

I like Lloyd Cole both coommotioned up and solo.

Saw The Alarm before they were The Alarm under the guise of mod band The Weekend. The following weekend a mod band named The Graduates played the same venue (now the Stadium Of Light metro station) and they became Tears For Fears. Both rubbish by the way.

Comment

Wolfgang Press and Clinic.

The latter started off PIL-Metal-Box-alikes but soon sorted themselves out and saw them supporting and being supported by most of the 1980's 4AD label mates.

Clinic - have declined a bit after their first three brilliant LP's.

Comment

I was listening to New York Tendaberry this morning and realised how much Laura Nyro's music has woven its way through my life. Her voice, at times just a half note from being harsh or off key, has fascinated me forever. Her music and lyrics with their echoes of Gershwin and Goffin/King were an evocation of New York (mostly) that somehow covered the twenties through the seventies. On stage I found her hypnotic, a large but slightly nervous presence in her floor length black velvet dress and single red rose. Like her voice, in person, she was devastatingly beautiful but also slightly awkward on the verge of clumsy. Janis Ian, who was at school with her, says she was nicknamed Morticia Addams. An immensely talented eccentric loner she always stood out.

Here's her live version of Poverty Train at Monterey. It didn't go down particularly well, she was just 18 but didn't really fit in with "the Love Crowd" as Otis aptly put it. What did they know, both the song, singer and writer were profoundly gorgeous.

Comment

I keep forgetting to add my ones -
                      Fun Loving Criminals (well, the first album, bits of the second anyway and I enjoy them live)
                      Groove Armada (only as I have never seen any love for them on here)

Also, is there a contingent for early to mid-era Madonna?

This thread also reminds me of Jah Womble's remark when I stated that Groop Dogdrill's second album is one of my favourites that it probably wasn't even there favourite album.

Comment

I like a lot of 80s Madonna, basically up to Like a prayer.

Comment

I'd go as far as Vogue, but the wheels really do come off after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                            I keep forgetting to add my ones -
                            Fun Loving Criminals (well, the first album, bits of the second anyway and I enjoy them live)
                            Groove Armada (only as I have never seen any love for them on here)
                            I've seen Fun Lovin' Criminals live and they were good fun, Huey wanting to kick the shit out of some dickhead in the front row notwithstanding.

As for Groove Armada - I loved Vertigo and still do. Will happily soundtrack a commute with that.

Anyway. Any love for (and I know WOM loves his singer-songwriters) Brendan Benson or Elliot Smith? Lapalco and Figure 8 respectively are among my favourite albums.

Comment

Nothing like someone standing there singing their feelings about one of three ... maybe four ... topics.

Comment

Are there more than four top(ic)s?

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Any love for (and I know WOM loves his singer-songwriters) Brendan Benson or Elliot Smith? Lapalco and Figure 8 respectively are among my favourite albums.
                                  Back in the day (around the time of his death) I recall there were quite a few Eliot Smith lovers on here.

Comment

That's an egregious spelling error by me there, isn't it? Anyway. Figure 8 and XO are worth a listen.

Comment

No, sadly he's not around to worry about it, and it's no one else's concern.

Comment

That is, unfortunately, true.

Here's Son of Sam from Figure 8:

Comment

Elliott Smith often makes my top three artists. Some staggeringly beautiful songs.

Comment

Comment

Oh, man.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                I like a lot of 80s Madonna, basically up to Like a prayer.
                                                Yeah, I'm a big fan of all that. Like A Prayer left me entirely cold but the first 3 albums are great.

Comment

I'll see all you Garbage fans and raise you Curve.

I don't see Free mentioned on here a lot either, any love for them?

Comment

Not exactly love, but certainly a degree of affection. I was assistant photog on their first album cover (inside of the gate-fold, not the front.) One of my first gigs so it sticks in the memory.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X