No announcement yet.

A Christmas Reading - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've made it to the Donny Brewery Tap, it is punishingly cold and I'm sorely tempted to sack the football off and just do a pub run.

Comment

Am impressively poor Reading following see their team take the lead from an offside goal.

Comment

HT - Horsham 2-1 Cray Wanderers

It seems to have become random chant/song day for the Lard. Amusing but sometimes painful to the ears.

Comment

0-1 at half time. Probably the worst I've seen us play this season.

Comment

Newport’s is the only postponement. They really ought to put some guttering on the Hazell Stand, as t’s always that area of the pitch that causes issues.

Comment

According to the lady on the BBC Final Score programme Peterborough United like to outscore their opponents.

Comment

Finally an equaliser.

Is that 20,000?

Comment

FT - Horsham 4-2 Cray Wanderers

Out comes the old favourite "We're not very good!"

Comment

Ipswich have won a game, I repeat won a game.

As you were

Comment

Southport lost for the first time in about ten games this afternoon, losing 1-0 to Solihull. It's fair to say that Southport didn't try particularly hard, starting seven debutants, most of whom made little impression. Solihull also didn't seem too bothered and the first half was without a shot on target. Throughout the weather was abysmal, with heavy rain and strong winds.

Positives for the day were that the pitch held up well despite the weather, and most of the squad having a rest before Monday's replay.

Comment

Armthorpe Welfare 2-3 Parkgate

Five on the spin for Gate now, they were pegged back twice in the game but knocked in the winner with five minutes left. I know this because I shamelessly copied this off the NCEL website. It was so fucking cold I passed off on the game and did a mini crawl around some fine pubs of Donny, and I got to watch nine ukulelesits, a singer, a drummer, a guitarists and a bongoinger play Merry Christmas Everybody. What did you do with your Saturday?

In a more practical point, have Wednesday still not sacked the fucking useless tosspot and replaced him with Steve Bruce? Jos Jos.
                        Last edited by longeared; 15-12-2018, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                          I am venturing to The Valley today, for my first game of the season. And possibly my last. Will see how it feels.
                          Bloody hell, but that was shit.

Didn't feel much at all, tbh. So it might be a while before that happens again. If ever.

Charlton had a chap sent off in the first minute, for a foul. which looked less serious from where I was sitting than it did reviewing it later on TV. They proceeded to make no attempt whatsoever to use the one-man advantage, and then levelled the situation through Pinnock's collecting a second yellow for a shit dive when it looked easier for him to carry on and do something.

For all but about ten minutes of the game, I couldn't tell what Wimbledon were trying to achieve. I'm assuming it wasn't "to lose two-nil".

Lyle Taylor is still great.

Comment

I fell asleep watching Soccer Saturday or whatever the Jeff Stelling show is. Mrs Thistle kept it on to update me every time I stirred in my napping. I woke up proper just as the full times started rolling in.

Comment

We made it to the Carlisle match, even overcoming the last minute hitch of my mate, in putting his jumper back on as we were leaving the pub, contriving to slice his finger open on a Christmas decoration. I'm still laughing at the look on the barman's face as my mate explained the situation to him while asking for a plaster.

After a fairly balanced first half in which we took a one goal lead, we rattled in two more early in the second and one of us said out loud something about going back to the pub and the other agreed so off we went, leaving a 3-0 lead by 4.30. We were on our second when our fourth goal appeared on Sky, in the fifth minute of injury time. Somewhere along the way we agreed with our other match going mate that we'd go to Crewe in February and he booked the train before we could change our minds. We're four points off the play off positions even though we have no right to be. Heady times.

Comment

Why did you leave the game?

Comment

Have you been to Brunton Park? It's parky at the best of times, never mind in this weather.

Comment

I have, yeah. Just the once. Can't recall the weather. It was summer, though.

Comment

It was probably raining.

Comment

I have a feeling, now I think about it some more, that it may have been warm and sunny. Although this suggests it may well have rained.
                                        Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 15-12-2018, 20:16.

Comment

Decided I didn't fancy driving in this weather and gave the groundhopping a rest this week. Still got cold and wet watching Banbury United beat Kettering Town 4-1, but it only took 10 minutes to get Home.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                            Have you been to Brunton Park? It's parky at the best of times, never mind in this weather.
                                            It was ridiculously cold today, and sleeting - so we retired to the nice warm pub instead and thawed and dried out - where I read of multiple pile-ups on the M6 and A66 due to treacherous conditions and passed the news to a work colleague who is attempting that route tomorrow.

There were several Colchester fans already in the pub, understandably.

Comment

I was very cold and also quite wet, though we were far enough under the roof to not be getting wetter.

Comment

My companion at Carlisle in 2014 tells me it did not rain. It was "nice and sunny", he says. And he has memory, unlike me.

Comment

One wonders if his memories are coloured by the result.

Comment

Haha. Nah, he has the kind of remembering power that means I believe him. And photos.

He knew we won 1-0 at Braintree with a Chris Hussey free-kick. And he's not even a Wimbledon fan.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X