A Christmas Reading - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Christmas Reading - Weekend Matchgoing

Rotherham United v Reading. And it's the London Millers' Christmas Party on the train...

Making three trips to Haig Avenue over the next five days, starting with Everton v Manchester United in the WSL Cup this evening. On Saturday Southport play Solihull Moors in a match that may make Austria v West Germany in 1982 seem keenly contested as both sides are likely to be focussing far more on their midweek FA Cup replays - Southport host Tranmere on Monday (winners play Tottenham) whilst Solihull play Blackpool on Tuesday (winners play Arsenal).

May also do a Merseyside Christian League game on Saturday morning and an FA Sunday Cup tie on Sunday lunchtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
      Rotherham United v Reading. And it's the London Millers' Christmas Party on the train...
      The thread title threw me. I was thinking “you’ll be lucky to get half a dozen shots down you by the time the train pulls into Reading”.

Comment

Nothing planned, but I might go and see Goytre play Briton Ferry in the Welsh League if my friend is actually in the starting line up.

Comment

Carlisle versus (hastily checks fixture list on website) Colchester, in the battle of the CUFCs, as no one is calling it.

Seems like ages since I've been to a match, and to be honest I might have considered missing this as we're on a 'long lunch' at work tomorrow and Saturday morning could be a struggle, but I've got a new winter jacket and I'm wanting to put it through its paces before the festive season.

It starts a spell in which I'll attend five games (four home, one away) out of our six between now and 5th of January, a strike rate I've not managed for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            Carlisle versus (hastily checks fixture list on website) Colchester, in the battle of the CUFCs, as no one is calling it.
            El Cufcico?

Comment

It's cramped-upper-deck-behind-the-goal seating for the second time in a fortnight. QPR v Boro.

Comment

Can't go too far and don't like the look of that weather forecast, but first choice is Armthorpe Welfare v Parkgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                  El Cufcico?
                  But is the true El Cufcico Carlisle vs Colchester or Cambridge? Or indeed Cambridge vs Colchester? Or is that El supercufcico?

Comment

Levante - Barcelona on Sunday.

Comment

TheLikesofDoncaster vs Scunthorpe United in the M180 Derby... the worst named of all local derbies.

I was going to lament the early kick-off, but as it ensures I won't be on a train north with the London Millers Christmas Party I've warmed to it.

Comment

We're on the St. Pancras line...

Comment

Sunday sees Friendship Trophy quarter final action at Bernard Park - North Village Rams (again) host Robin Hood.

Comment

I’m at the Track Cycling World Cup at the Olympic Velodrome on Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon for the Gold Medal sessions.

Hoping to make a game nearby on Saturday afternoon. It may be Charlton v Wimbledon but I recall The Valley being a bugger to get away from. I might visit the London Marathon Community Track ground in the shadow of the Olympic Stadium to see the Southern Amateur League clash between Altis FC and Queen Mary College Old Boys, especially as QMC is my alma mater.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-12-2018, 12:01.

Comment

Meeting a friend, who works for one of the league sponsor partners, at Lincoln v Morecambe tomorrow on a freebie. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                It may be Charlton v Wimbledon but I recall The Valley being a bugger to get away from.
                                Walk from The Valley to North Greenwich and then get the Jubilee Line to Stratford? The cold doesn't increase that option's appeal though.
                                Last edited by Benjm; 14-12-2018, 12:52.

Comment

Nah.

Off to York for the pre-Crimbo "not going to the match" meet up.

If it snows, I doubt we'll get much farther than the Tao or the Maltings.

Comment

Apparently we've got to take the tram-train tomorrow.

Comment

Assuming it doesn't collide with some idiot in a truck.

Comment

I am venturing to The Valley today, for my first game of the season. And possibly my last. Will see how it feels.

Comment

It's throwing it down here, so I texted my mate saying I know I'm a fair weather friend but I didn't want to stand in the wet for two hours. He replied saying fair enough and the game had just been called off anyway.

Comment

For the second consecutive Saturday I watched a game that was abandoned. This was the top of the table clash in the Merseyside Christian League between St Sebastian's and St Edmund's. Kickoff was about five minutes earlier than advertised, as the referee decided that there was no point hanging on any further in the cold. St Edmund's took the lead, against the run of the play, from the penalty spot after about fifteen minutes before the home side equalised within a couple of minutes. Shortly after this there was a big punch up between the two teams, although quite why I'm not sure - possibly something said as players contested which way a throw in was going. The referee managed to calm things down but about thirty seconds after play had restarted one of the St Sebastian's players made a fairly horrific tackle on an opposing player, sparking another scuffle. The referee decided that the best course of action was to show the tackler a red card and abandon the game. Whether he would have done so if it hadn't just started raining is a matter for debate.

Comment

Horsham v Cray Wanderers

Third versus first with Horsham looking to bounce back after unexpected defeat at Three Bridges on Tuesday, Cray looking to extend the division's only unbeaten record and their splendid 100% away league record - seven wins from seven games. The Beeb forecast is for 100% chance of rain from 1pm through until 6pm with winds gusting to 40mph, but it's a south easterly so should be dry in the main stand. I'm looking forward to a pre-match cheeseburger.

Comment

Salop v Posh.

It's raining and I'm hungover.

Might give it a miss.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  But is the true El Cufcico Carlisle vs Colchester or Cambridge? Or indeed Cambridge vs Colchester? Or is that El supercufcico?
                                                  I reckon the first is the true one, it was first contested in 1961. Colchester certainly took the bragging rights the one time I went to the away leg of this spectacle, in 2008 when they battered us 5-0 and I didn't get home til after midnight from a 3pm kick off.

Anyway I've texted my mate asking if he's going and he says "lets meet in the pub and take stock", so our attendance doesn't seem to be guaranteed, or maybe he's moonlighting as an auditor for the brewery, hard to tell.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X