Both sides of the city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both sides of the city

This season Shrewsbury (League 1) have been drawn against Stoke City (Championship) in the FA Cup and against Port Vale (League 2) in the EFL Trophy. Both ties scheduled for January 2019.

Has another team ever been drawn against 2 sides from the same city in cup games, who they won't also meet in the league that year?
    (I'm not sure whether to exclude London teams from this question and keep it to the provincial derby pairings.)

I think Bradford Park Avenue and Bradford City need to be considered in this search.

Comment

Slim pickings admittedly (not least because the towns in question are little more than ten miles apart) but Runcorn who were in the top division of the Northern Premier League at the time, hosted Northwich Victoria (Conference) in the FA Trophy and travelled to their infinitely more tolerable neighbours Witton Albion (Northern Premier League second tier) in the League Cup less than a fortnight later, during the course of the 1999-2000 season.

Comment

Slightly off topic but it looks like Celtic and Rangers are going out of Europe at the same round on the same night which I imagine must be fairly unique.

Comment

It took Milano three days, and Inter was working with a net

Comment

And Rosenberg have scored to potentially save Celtic

Comment

Tranmere in the 2000-01 FA Cup

Famously beat Everton, knocked out by Liverpool.

Beat Portsmouth and Southampton on the way, though we were in the same division as Portsmouth.

In 97/98 we beat Sunderland then lost to Newcastle in the next round but were in same division as Sunderland

Comment

If 'Tyne & Wear' were a city your example would fit the thread (smiley). I gather they've been drawn against each other in the Checkatrade (well Sunderland 1sts v newcastle sub-21s).

What's the record crowd for that cup? Given that they'll not see each other in a real derby for a bit.

Comment

And will there be violence like when Port Vale hosted Stoke U21 last month?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Has another team ever been drawn against 2 sides from the same city in cup games, who they won't also meet in the league that year?
                    Assuming we're talking season and not calendar year, Carlisle 2015/16.

Took Liverpool to penalties in the League Cup at Anfield and embarrassed ourselves against Everton in the FA Cup at Brunton Park.

Comment

Yeah, I meant season, Walt. So that counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X