No announcement yet.

Backstop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rounders is the one. I knew I used the term in childhood but knew it wasn't in cricket. The very existence of rounders had slipped from my increasingly porous mind

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
      The correct term in cricket is 'long stop'. 'Backstop' is incorrect in the same way that 'bounce-up' is an incorrect name for a 'drop ball' in football. 'Back stop' is the correct name for the catcher in rounders. So there you are. Rounders.

And as an off-topic supplementary, in German who decides the gender of a word borrowed from another language?
      Backstop is a cricket term? For somebody standing on the boundary behind the wicket keeper?

That's very useful. Captains of teams of fielding teams with dodgy wicket keepers used to have to say stuff like "Smithy, can you go to a very very fine leg?" Never fine enough to stop the inevitable 4 byes.

Comment

I once had a row with a twat in a café who corrected my "die Baguette" to "das Baguette". I wouldn't have said anything, but he raised his Index finger, so the gloves were removed.

For the record, you can say both. "Die Baguette" because of "die Weißbrotstange", and "das Baguette" because of "das Weißbrot". Or something.

Comment

You played rounders with baguettes?

Comment

Whenever I was captain, I didn't need a backstop. It's not so much that the keeper was brilliant. It was more that the bowling was mostly part time leg spinners.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
              You played rounders with baguettes?
              No, we played softball at school. There was some teacher exchange with a school in Toronto, which meant we always had two Canadian teachers, one of whom was always a Games teacher. So we were shit at cricket, because we were never taught to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                Whenever I was captain, I didn't need a backstop.
                Long stop (see above).

When I was playing, deep (very) fine leg was a very useful fielding position which I made my own. With the outfield cut or, rather, not cut as it was I was able to cover everything from deep square leg round to third man, thereby releasing an extra fielder for elsewhere. Our captain was also so immobile that he had to field at slip and, given that he couldn't catch either, and the pitch was, at best, of variable bounce it meant I had a generally busy afternoon.
                Last edited by Capybara; 12-12-2018, 16:36.

Comment

I think it's better for keeper morale to describe your longstop as a "very fine leg". Perhaps in T20 if you're worried about paddle scoops, your keeper is going to accept it. In regular cricket if you're worried about your keeper being shit telling him you're wasting a fielder as back-up for him is going to be a tad demoralising.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                    Long stop (see above).

When I was playing, deep (very) fine leg was a very useful fielding position which I made my own. With the outfield cut or, rather, not cut as it was I was able to cover everything from deep square leg round to third man, thereby releasing an extra fielder for elsewhere. Our captain was also so immobile that he had to field at slip and, given that he couldn't catch either, and the pitch was, at best, of variable bounce it meant I had a generally busy afternoon.
                    Ah, longstop.

You'd have been bowling at one end in my team, but your fieldsmanship would have been very appreciated at the other.

Comment

Mr. Bairstow alsp did it against India in an ODI tr. Brearly was skipper.

I also played rounders.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        I think it's better for keeper morale to describe your longstop as a "very fine leg". Perhaps in T20 if you're worried about paddle scoops, your keeper is going to accept it. In regular cricket if you're worried about your keeper being shit telling him you're wasting a fielder as back-up for him is going to be a tad demoralising.
                        There were about 6 fielders placed for bad bowling, so I think I can allow one for a bad keeper. I'd have put a fielder in Cheltenham General Hospital's car park if the laws had allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                          I once had a row with a twat in a café who corrected my "die Baguette" to "das Baguette". I wouldn't have said anything, but he raised his Index finger, so the gloves were removed.

For the record, you can say both. "Die Baguette" because of "die Weißbrotstange", and "das Baguette" because of "das Weißbrot". Or something.
                          Given it's shape, I'd think it would be der Baguette.

Comment

“Filet de sécurité” in French:

https://www.lemonde.fr/referendum-su...1_4872498.html

Michel Barnier a donc proposé le « backstop », ou « filet de sécurité », qui est une clause temporaire de sauvegarde pour conserver cette frontière ouverte aux biens et aux personnes.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/international...-le-brexit.php

Le «backstop»- «filet de sécurité» en français - désigne la solution de maintenir la frontière irlandaise ouverte de façon temporaire.

https://www.challenges.fr/monde/euro...ackstop_626045

C'est la solution censée résoudre l'épineuse problématique, liée au Brexit, de la frontière irlandaise : le "backstop", ou "filet de sécurité" en français.
                            The term was used by EU institutions before Brexit (they must have sussed out long ago that Britain would try to escape), found on the Net: Les États membres ont décidé, dès l’adoption du MRU en 2014 de doter le FRU d'un filet de sécurité supplémentaire (backstop). Conçu pour être un instrument « de dernier recours », le filet de sécurité doit être neutre, du point de vue budgétaire.

Term used in French for this sort of net (same sort of protection net as in ursus’ photo): Filet de sécurité Exit 'Backstop Net 900'

French translation above possibly lifted from French Canadian (and good on them, why reinvent the wheel if it rolls?):

Hockey Goal with Backstop by HockeyShot

The HockeyShot Extreme Goal and Backstop combo is our biggest and most ...

Le filet de sécurité procure 2.5' supplémentaire de protection de chaque côté du ...

FranceTerme has a different translation (“adossement”)

http://www.culture.fr/franceterme/re...&action=search

... but their backstop is a different backstop, a very boring one (the plot thickens even further Fussbudget, tension is reaching climatic levels…). They haven’t come round to tackling our new funky backstop term yet. They’re not the most proactive bunch of translators it has to be said (they only meet once a month and it’s a very collegiate organisation so they consult widfely). We may have a translation from them for our Brexit backstop circa 2022 if all goes well.
                            Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 12-12-2018, 20:32.

Comment

On a Brexit-language related note, can someone explain what "Cake" means when Lang Spoon and Berba talk about it. There are a couple of different cake metaphors I've seen doing the rounds. Is it just "having your cake and eating it"? Or is it that weird omelette/cake/egg thing that keeps getting reposted? Or is it something else entirely?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Good question. I'm interested too. Why, in French, is "le weekend" male, but "la fin de semaine" female?
                                Ah, gender assignation from foreign words into French, at long last a proper subject on these boards! I once did a short talk on that for the Alliance Française in Dubai about 25 yrs ago, not the long stuffy sort of lecture that the AF regularly inflicts on its long-suffering members (well, in Newcastle anyway, so stuffy in fact it's all falling apart, no programme for the last 2 yrs I think, it really needs jazzing up that thing but I'm digressing, sorry) but something short and informal, it was a workshop type of presentation, there was other linguistic & cultural stuff in my presentation too, thank God for the audience it wasn’t just about genders. I subsequently did similar presentations for my 6th form students and for other AF people, a sort of breakaway group of dissidents. I’ll try to find my notes but it was mostly in French so I’ll need to translate them, I'l have to locate them first, they are somewhere in my mess but not sure where. I’ll try to write something in English about it later but more likely tomorrow.

Weekend and "fin de semaine" mean 2 different things (https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=1#post1487442) but I know what you mean. It’s a vast issue, I could give you an "in a nutshell" reply but it needs developing, there are several factors at play.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                  Theresa May likes to invoke Geoffrey Boycott but the Yorkshire cricketer she really wants is David Bairstow, the keeper who once stood on the boundary as a "backstop", for England v Australia. (Technically a "backstop" should be in addition to the keeper, but you'd be humiliated if you needed one at international level ... which also works as metaphor, I guess).
                                  Theresa May likes Geoffrey Boycott? Jesus Christ, I’m amazed (well, not that amazed coming from her) that this man is still liked by anyone outside of Yorkshire, he was convicted by a French court for beating up his girlfriend FFS, in 1998 (three-month suspended jail sentence and a £5,000 fine). Even the Sun and Sky I think terminated his contracts. He even claimed that his partner had “fallen”, the man is an absolute disgrace.

He famously said this:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/...ory/76472.html

''The frustration! For nine hours and 10 minutes it drove me crackers. […] I couldn't understand 80 per cent of it. It was all in bloody French. I'm waiting there wondering what the hell they were saying and it's my life! I knew chuff all what was happening. Then the interpreter would turn to me and ask me something and I'd forgotten what the hell I was talking about. You can't put across to people the difficulty, the stupidity of it. It was medieval, it was archaic, it was such a farce.''

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...rt-277244.html

Boycott, 59, convicted of punching his lover in the face 20 times in a French Riviera hotel room in 1996, said after the judgment: "I'm not embarrassed and ashamed by anything. I've never hit her."

He went on, once again, to criticise the French judicial system - despite the fact that this was the third opportunity he had been given to defend himself. "I didn't have great hopes, because of the [legal] system and culture, which is different from ours," he said. "She's made a monkey out of the French system."
                                  Mind, I, for one, would love to see Boycott in trouble again in a non English-speaking country following his stonking performance before that French court, see what he has to say about other outrageously patriotic systems who shamelessly condone the use of their own language in their courts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/211569.stm

During the trial, the court was told that Boycott pinned Miss Moore down and punched her 20 times in the face before checking out and leaving her to pay the bill. […
                                  Boycott claimed that the heavy bruising Ms Moore suffered about the face and eyes was the result of a fall during the argument.

''The evidence is overwhelming. If I'd 'it 'er 20 times, she would've been pulped. She would have been carried out on a stretcher. Maybe it would've been better if I'd cried on television like Paul Gascoigne and said I did it. I'd have been fine, wouldn't I?

Comment

Interestingly (pour moi), blockchain In French is “la blockchain”.

Comment

It was even more crass than that, Perou. He showed up to court with a load of women as if that proved anything. Having not shown up at all to the first hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                        It was even more crass than that, Perou. He showed up to court with a load of women as if that proved anything. Having not shown up at all to the first hearing.
                                        Bah, it was a furrin court so it doesn't count, Mickey Mouse justice system. And as Boycott said, nowt much good to hope from them furrin systems, as he complained (quoted in my post): "I didn't have great hopes, because of the [legal] system and culture, which is different from ours,"

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                          Interestingly (pour moi), blockchain In French is “la blockchain”.
                                          No idea what "blockchain" is about but I’ve just typed the word and it sounds racy! (La Blockchain est l'objet de tous les fantasmes). I thought you must be working in a sex dungeon as a dominatrix or something. I was most disappointed when I read further.

Anyway, "blockchain" is officially épicène (same word in English, epicene) meaning that it's "une" or "un" blockchain, but the feminine is overwhelmingly used (about 63,000 occurrences for "la blockchain est" for instance vs 5,000 for the masculine equivalent).

There clearly is a bit of a dilemma with this word as its 2 French components are masculine (bloc) and feminine (chain), so both genders are accepted but usage seems to have settled on the feminine, most probably because of the word order in French: "chain" comes first (une chaîne de blocs, its official French translation), so it more natural to favour the feminine, une blockchain.

But it’s not always that logical and there are other reasons that may come into play, but already we see that usage is a key factor in determining the gender of foreign words in French, there are others, it's multi-factorial. I’ll develop tomorrow or later this week.

Comment

I wonder if the preference for la blockchain reflects the now largely abandoned French attempts to make la chaîne de blocs a thing.

PF, the Bitcoin thread discusses the blockchain.
                                            Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-12-2018, 23:19.

Comment

SB, the use of cake is indeed derived from having one's cake and eating it and is a shorthand for demanding the benefits without accepting any associated obligations.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post

Baguette as a neuter noun has been so long in use, it's written into seven-day-olds bread.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                  Baguette as a neuter noun has been so long in use, it's written into seven-day-olds bread.
                                                  I know. But the twat raising his index finger in the café said, "Nein, nein, nein, junger Mann, nicht DIE Baguette, sondern DAS Baguette. Von "DAS Baguettebrötchen"". Which would be all well and good, but we were talking not about a Baguettebrötchen, but about an actual Baguette. And, anyway, Duden says you can say both, so up yours.

This all happened nearly 30 years ago, but now it's resurfaced, I'm fucking fuming. Instead of going to work today, I'm going to go out looking for The Twat In The Café and then fill him in. I probably won't find the actual culprit, but any bloke raising his index finger while talking - and God knows there are enough of them in this country - will do.

Comment

It's an old chestnut I always bang on about, but (at least in Bavaria), das Brot, die Semmel, der Bagel.

Harummpph.

(I once said 'das Bagel' and my German colleague looked at me as if I was an idiot.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X