Best TV Series of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best TV Series of 2018

I'm not especially big on year end lists, but there's so much international TV available now that it's easy to forget stuff — even good stuff — as there's something new almost every week.

Most of these have been mentioned in other threads, so i'm not getting into descriptions. Five only, though others are worthy of mention.

Babylon Berlin (Germany)

Still resonates for me after almost twelve months. Might be the first genuine TV dramatic spectacle. I'm hoping for a second season, but expecting to be disappointed.

The Good Fight (USA)

Second season — though too short — well up to the standard of the first. Manages to be pointed, funny and topical simultaneously. Back in the Spring I think.

My Brilliant Friend (Italy)

Watching the first season in amazement. As well cast and directed as anything I've seen this year. The two young women leads are exceptional.

Sacred Games (India)

Complicated, chaotic, intense but never boring, and as detailed and colour saturated as a mandala, I often felt I was hanging on to this by it's coat-tails. But I can't wait for the next season.

Letterkenny (Canada)

Usually very funny, sometimes hilarious, occasionally flat, it's a real Curate's Egg of a show but I'm so glad it's on TV. Even ten years ago something as idiosyncratic as this would never have had a chance.
    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 22-12-2018, 23:43.

Atypical

The Good Place

Comment

Killing Eve

Mrs Maisel

Comment

Atlanta - Endlessly creative, impossible to put in a box

The Good Place - The initial charm has worn off a bit, but it's still my favourite running sitcom

Better Call Saul - Slow TV at its best

Patriot - Like if Charlie Brooker made a spy show, on sedatives

Bojack Horseman - Painfully funny, in the fullest sense of the phrase

Humans - The best running sci-fi outside of the expanse

Killing Eve - I think this flatters to deceive a bit, especially compared to Fleabag, but my the flattery is fun.

Possible candidates I have not watched enough episodes to judge:

Sally4Ever

The Americans (I mean, of this year's season)

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (likewise)

Possible candidates lost to the mists of international licensing fuckery:

Venture Bros

The Expanse

Bob's Burgers

Best technical achievement:

Altered Carbon - the story was meh, but boy this looked pretty on a good TV

Most disappointing:

Legion

Handmaid's Tale

Bodyguard

Comment

Since no one's mentioned it, I'd like to add Maniac.

Comment

Working...
          X