Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a shock. More free money from the rest of us for "that London"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46507417

No surprise whatsoever as shitty parasites given more free cash while the rest of us expected to starve.

You'll all benefit as it will make it easier for you to come and stay for the weekend

Comment

How's your cooking?

Comment

Hallmark of fascism. Centralise the wealth and power in the capital city. It's why Real Madrid were so big in the 1950s.

Comment

Shush. It will benefit all the provincials.

Comment

And why Roma were founded, PT

Comment

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the sums we're talking about here are fucking colossal aren't they. It puts the scrambling around for £40m to save our local airport into stark perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Usory View Post

No surprise whatsoever as shitty parasites given more free cash while the rest of us expected to starve.
                It's a loan. But now you mention it, I'm amazed the government didn't just leave it unfinished. Egregious bias towards London that.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Usory View Post

Who are these "shitty parasites" you speak of?

Comment

The government also knocked a billion off the budget in 2010, which may or may not have been a ruse to get it past itself.

Comment

Oi, Del-boy, Over here...

Comment

Are they waiting for Liz to pass first?

Comment

People will insist on wanting to live and work here. My local trainline has seen passenger increases of something like 3000% in 10 years, and where I was once able to pootle along the canal towpath or bike or foot, it's now gone all Tour de France. Four people live in what was once my sole-occupancy flat, and they're young professionals.

Huge property prices and rents don't put anyone off. Unless things change, around what, 12% of the UK population? will either live or work here and it's growing.

Comment

By the time it opens they will have to rename it the Charles Line.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                              People will insist on wanting to live and work here. My local trainline has seen passenger increases of something like 3000% in 10 years, and where I was once able to pootle along the canal towpath or bike or foot, it's now gone all Tour de France. Four people live in what was once my sole-occupancy flat, and they're young professionals.

Huge property prices and rents don't put anyone off. Unless things change, around what, 12% of the UK population? will either live or work here and it's growing.
                              That's fair. But not to the people who can't get there.

*edit: MsD, and sorry about this, but you have to keep moving: you work your arse off, and yet you can't afford to buy.
                              Last edited by Gerontophile; 11-12-2018, 15:18.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                Who are these "shitty parasites" you speak of?
                                The "Square Mile"

Their transport costs are disproportionately subsidised at the expense of the rest of us

Comment

Crossrail isn't really about The City per se, though. It is much more about access to areas to its East and West.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post

Fun fact: London's population is about the same as what it was in 1939 (I think it passed the 1939 peak in 2015 - it's now about 200k higher). In that time, the population of the UK has nearly doubled. In 1939, not far off a quarter of the UK population lived in London.

The population is still growing, but barely, since Brexit so we may be hitting another peak.

Comment

The "Square Mile"

Their transport costs are disproportionately subsidised at the expense of the rest of us
                                      Anyone in particular? The cleaners who clean the offices for minimum wage? The people who work in shops and food outlets round there? the admin staff, receptionists, mail room staff etc who work there but see few of the benefits?
                                      You see, you might think using terms like "shitty parasites" to describe a wide and varied group of people from all backgrounds, classes etc. Who happen to temporarily share geography on weekdays is edgy and cool. Personally I think it just makes you sound like a cunt.

In addition, while it is true that London does recieve an iniquitous amount from the public purse, something that could stand an rebalancing, they also contribute rather more according to the ONS.
                                      So rather than being parasitic, it's quite the opposite in a strictly balance of accounts sense. London is just sharing somewhat less of its own money about than would arguably be ideal.
                                      Last edited by hobbes; 11-12-2018, 15:41.

Comment

hobbes: no sir.

What you have just replied with is the point, and the whole point.

treibeis: we really need you.

Comment

Who happen to temporarily share geography on weekdays
                                          Quite.

Comment

You know exactly what I mean by "the city".

Not the schmoles who keep it working, the parasites who feed off our labour by moving and trading money.

And they are behind this.

To keep the money in their hands, rather than where it's​ made

In manufacturing of stuff, and the growing of food

Comment

I like that everyone still calls it Crossrail.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                I like that everyone still calls it Crossrail.
                                                Some of us still refer to the Overground as the Shitlink, particularly over the last few months.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X