No announcement yet.

What a shock. More free money from the rest of us for "that London"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George is one of his names, innit? Slightly ashamed to know this.

Comment

Given that even non-Britons use the name of the reigning UK monarch for different eras of history - Elizabethan, Georgian, Victorian - it seems fine to name a line after the monarch on the throne when it was built.
      She's already got a line.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
        George is one of his names, innit? Slightly ashamed to know this.
        I suspect that the only reason why anyone knows this is down to Diana screwing it up at the wedding.

Comment

King Tampon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            I suspect that the only reason why anyone knows this is down to Diana screwing it up at the wedding.
            I remember that.

He’s got an Arthur in there too. He could be King Arthur II.

Comment

Wasn't the Metropolitan Line the first? And everyone nicked the name to call their own underground transport systems the Metro. A bit like Vauxhall being Russian for "station".

Comment

The Victoria Line was originally going to be called the Viking line as it went from Victoria to Kings Cross which is a much better name imo

Comment

The Jubilee was the Fleet, but got renamed by the Tory-held GLC, at some expense. I like Fleet.

Comment

Maybe Charles should reverse things and name himself after Underground lines. King Hammersmith and City or King Circle would both be good, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                      Maybe Charles should reverse things and name himself after Underground lines. King Hammersmith and City or King Circle would both be good, I think.
                      Brilliant

Comment

After Liz pops it it will be called the "Late Elizabeth Line", surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                          Fun fact: London's population is about the same as what it was in 1939 (I think it passed the 1939 peak in 2015 - it's now about 200k higher). In that time, the population of the UK has nearly doubled. In 1939, not far off a quarter of the UK population lived in London.

The population is still growing, but barely, since Brexit so we may be hitting another peak.
                          London in 1940 was so massive that huge areas of it must have been barely aware that the blitz was going on. That's certainly the impression you would get walking around the acres and acres of untouched pre-war terraces in the areas around finsbury park and holloway road. The contrast with say Cable st and around wapping is remarkable. The Contrast between the scale of the Blitz relative to what happened elsewhere in europe, and its position in the UK's narrative of the 20th century is quite eyecatching. You'd never think from the various documentaries that you see on the telly that only about 1 in 300 people in london died as a result of aerial bombing. (though it did kill my granny in manchester, and made a war refugee of my dad) That puts london a long way down the list of cities devastated by aerial bombing.

Comment

London was less populated in outer boroughs, I think, but it's the same area, I think.

Comment

Working...
                            X