Managers who aged in the job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managers who aged in the job

I must admit I was starting this thread to say blimey look at Mourinho, who now resembles Pat Coombes on celebrity squares in his press conferences, until I realised he looked just the same when he left Real Madrid. But managerial stints do seem to suck the life out of people. Any better examples of 'before and after' in a few years of the kind I'm alluding to?

Benitez seemed to age very quickly at Liverpool, though he was hardly reeking of youthful exuberance to begin with.

Comment

I guess the forties are the turning point into looking fucked for most guys in any case.

Comment

Dalglish, for understandable reasons from 1989-91.

Most England managers but especially Bobby Robson 1986-90 and Graham Taylor 1990-93.

Comment

David Weir at Sheffield United seemed to age a year for each week he was in the job. He looked particularly ill before being sacked after 5 months, of which 2 of those were off season.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            I guess the forties are the turning point into looking fucked for most guys in any case.
            Speak for yourself, matey.

Comment

I was of course excepting the svelte Adonis lads that are the otf 40s contingent.

Comment

Comment

Bloody hell, if I've deteriorated this much in my thirties I dread to think what the next decade might bring. I'll end up like Mumm-Ra from Thundercats.

Comment

David Moyes, a fairly youthful 50 when he took over at Manchester United in 2013. Five years on and United, Sunderland and West Ham have left him looking like he's pushing 70.

Meanwhile if we're looking for those who have seemed to have slowed down the clock, I would nominate 71 year old Harry Redknapp, currently entertaining the nation having seemingly aged about 3 years since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                      David Moyes, a fairly youthful 50 when he took over at Manchester United in 2013. Five years on and United, Sunderland and West Ham have left him looking like he's pushing 70.

Meanwhile if we're looking for those who have seemed to have slowed down the clock, I would nominate 71 year old Harry Redknapp, currently entertaining the nation having seemingly aged about 3 years since 2000.
                      Ally McLeod in Argentina 1978. He aged about 50 years between the start of the Peru game and the end of the Iran game 3 days later. And no wonder.

Comment

The England job nearly killed Bobby Robson, by the end he looked like he needed an oxygen mask at every press conference.

Comment

Paul Lambert seems to be aging in dog years. Then again, when I think of Paul Lambert, I always think of the Borussia Dortmund version, and that was over 20 years ago.

Comment

Wait till you get to fifty, when, proverbially, you have the face you deserve.

Suffice it to say, I have the same surname as Sid James and fear that he may have been my father.

(Yes, I know he wasn't really called Sid James.)

Comment

Wenger looks good there.

Comment

Bearing in mind those pictures of Wenger are roughly 80 years apart.

Footballers always look older than their years anyway, don't they? I put it down to so many hours spent in the outdoors exposed to the elements. Managers then do a similar amount of outdoor work and also have more stress than when playing.

Comment

Simon Grayson at Leeds was a fresh faced up and coming manager with a full head of luxurious hair.

Two years later at Preston, and he resembled an exhumed Neolithic skeleton.

God knows what they did to him at Huddersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                    Footballers always look older than their years anyway, don't they?
                                    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says hello.

Comment

Dennis Wise still looks like a little scrote who hangs around football grounds offering to watch your car for a quid whilst you're in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                        Footballers always look older than their years anyway, don't they? I put it down to so many hours spent in the outdoors exposed to the elements. Managers then do a similar amount of outdoor work and also have more stress than when playing.
                                        Well I've had indoor jobs for 38 years, how do I explain the fact I look about 97?

Comment

Every time Frank Lampard appears on tv now he's Derby manager, Mrs KGR comments on how the job is ageing him already.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                            Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says hello.
                                            He clearly kept out of the elements on the substitute bench, only entering the field for 15-20 minutes per week.

Comment

Obviously, the effects of greying hair will change the visual but Paul Bracewell looked very fresh when he was Fulham manager and that freshness was lacking in pics I saw from when he was Sunderland assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
                                                He clearly kept out of the elements on the substitute bench, only entering the field for 15-20 minutes per week.
                                                But wouldn't that have been counteracted by him being a stereotypically weather-beaten Scandinavian? Makes his youthful visage all the more curious.

Comment

Heh, as a Scotsman over 40 who still gets taken for being in his 30s (not a boast, this doesn’t really help in work and Respecting My Authority), folk can age at different rates from national stereotypes.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X