X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over-rated Radio Voices

John Peel - just felt a bit smug and sanctimonious

Andy Kershaw - shouting in your face, I felt

Stuart Maconie - knows a bit about many things but never as much as he pretends. Many errors.

Brian Johnston - to me he was just rambling along. If that was the appeal, it was lost on me.

Don Mosey and Fred Trueman - miserable, nasty bastards.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-12-2018, 11:57.

Jo Whilley is unspeakable.

Pete Tong and Danny Rampling were a right pair of twats.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-12-2018, 12:04.

Comment

Nicky Campbell. Sounds like a smug old gammon.

Comment

I'm not sure to what extent he counts as 'rated' in the first place but Stephen Nolan gets right on my nerves. As does Alan Green, but I'm not otherwise averse to the accent, it's just how their contempt of other people is reflected in their voices.

Comment

How the fuck has Steve Wright and his fucking "posse" (oh, grow the fuck up) continued to contaminate the airwaves for thirty odd years?

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
            How the fuck has Steve Wright and his fucking "posse" (oh, grow the fuck up) continued to contaminate the airwaves for thirty odd years?
            Steve Wright is doing exactly the same now as he was 35 years ago on radio one. Ironically quite a lot of the music critics of that era, some of whom are of this parish, are still following his trawler.

Comment

Although not a music critic, I thought Steve Wright was quite amusing. Granted, I haven't listened to him for nigh-on 30 years, but I've probably not grown up, either.

Comment

Wright received a good kicking on Chart Music so I'd guess that ex-Melody Maker journos are exempt from the charge of following him.

The 6 Music thread IIRC has stuck the boot into Lamacq, who is mogadon.

Comment

God I hated him and his dreary tastes back in the Evening Session days.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    John Peel - just felt a bit smug and sanctimonious

Andy Kershaw - shouting in your face, I felt

Stuart Maconie - knows a bit about many things but never as much as he pretends. Many errors.

Brian Johnston - to me he was just rambling along. If that was the appeal, it was lost on me.

Don Mosey and Fred Trueman - miserable, nasty bastards.
                    And when it came to John Ravenscroft.

Not his own voice.

An affectation to create a fictional character with a Scouse accent.

Comment

I can even recall his Saturday evening R1 show that began in 1979, so doubtless he'll be preparing some kind of fortieth anniversary self-love as we speak. Many credit him with popularising 'zoo' format, but I always found it tiresome in the extreme. I associate him more however with his 'hilarious' 1980s characters, some of which were written or voiced by Phil Cornwell.

What we listened to when we didn't have a choice, eh?

Comment

Yet millions still listen to him in the afternoons and we've got limitless choices. He washes over me to be honest, although the fake chumminess in celebrity interviews grates.

Comment

Exactly, fucking hate him.

Comment

Vanessa Feltz

Humphrys

Wogan at least had the good grace to retire.

Comment

Henry Blofeld. A parody of a pisstake.

Comment

Charlotte bloody Green. A classic example of self - deification by the BBC. See the way they dedicate hours of coverage to every Tom Dick or "legendary" commentator who finally deems to be replaced.

Every time she reads the results it grates.

Doton Adebayo. The man is virtually uninentelligible. Not because he is not intelligent, but because his sense of humour is undecipherable (jesus, what a sentence). And he plays way too much music.

The World Football Phone In is held up as a great programme, but that's purely because of Tim Vickery's undying patience and ability to translate the nonsense.

And to balance things up with a white, middle - aged male, Danny Bloody Mills. Miserable bastard, spouting 20 years out of date rubbish. If he's co commentating I immediately switch off. I can't bear him.

Comment

Voices I love: Jane Garvey, Paul Hawkesby and the two Dannies.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                    Paul Hawkesby
                                    Still astonishes me that someone hasn't poached him from TalkShite. Far, far too good for them.

Comment

Working...
                                    X