And the world is so wrong
    That I hope that we'll be strong enough
    For we are on our own
    And the only thing known is our love
    I don't wanna classify you
    Like an animal in the zoo
    But it seems good to me to know
    That you're Homosapien too

There's a sneaky allusion to an erect penis in the video (25 seconds in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HwmO_GZfzI&t=20s
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-12-2018, 20:14.

Comment

A 'sneaky allusion' that, along with the perceived lyric, saw Homosapien receive a ban that prevented it from making the Top 40.

Comment

Ever fallen in love just on BBC4 now. So beautiful.

Comment

Yep. Whacked the volume up for that one. Sorry* neighbours.

*Not even in the slightest.

Comment

Nice couple of moments from the BBC yesterday, they used Ever Fallen In Love as a background track on Football Focus and Everybody's Happy Nowadays on Final Score. Nice who ever that was!

Comment

Indeed, where they not only, like the rest of Radio 4, insisted on missing out the definite article but explained why it has been left out in the first place (see also Ramones).

I can't honestly say that Buzzcocks were my favourite band as, like many punk bands that I have now revisited, they weren't 'rock' enough for the more heavy metal inclined teenage me in the manner that the Pistols or Damned were. They were, obviously, the epitome of the pop-punk band in many ways. I saw them when they did a reunion gig at Finsbury Park and was somewhat sneering about them being, gasp, 30 years old or more. My best friend gave me "Singles Going Steady" which was odd as I had never really mentioned them and I didn't play it that much. I mean, obviously, I know pretty much all the songs on there. Since Friday, of course, I have been reacquainted with many songs that I know again and some that I didn't know as well. I did a funk and soul DJ set on Friday with a mate and he ended it by playing three Buzzcocks songs including the surprisingly fitting "Why I can't touch it".
              I was going to go with Shelley's "Homo Sapiens" which, similar to WOM, is actually one of my favourite songs of his if not the actual favourite.

I was amazed to discover he was married to his wife as I always assumed that he was now exclusively gay.

Comment

I was amazed to discover he was married to his wife as I always assumed that he was now exclusively gay.
                See Tom Robinson (the band leader, not the character from 'To Kill A Mockingbird') for details.

Comment

Here's an interesting piece on Pitchfork from Simon Reynolds:
                  https://pitchfork.com/features/after...-pete-shelley/

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                    See Tom Robinson (the band leader, not the character from 'To Kill A Mockingbird') for details.
                    Sexuality doesn't have to be explicable to someone else.

Comment

No idea what that means, Satch.

Comment

Sexual and romantic feelings are personal and subjective and can't always be translated into linguistic terms. If Shelley or Robinson want to use the word "gay" to describe an orientation that others call "bisexual", it's their prerogative.

Comment

True: not my place to say otherwise...

... and yet, the guy who went to Pride every (other) year with the song "Glad to be Gay", with one of the verses saying (live version) 'you'll read in the Scum', who then goes on to come out as bisexual and married, in the Scum, on the morning of a huge London Pride, I suppose has his (paid?) prerogative.

It was a personal let-down. Good luck to him and his, always.

*I have to assume that I didn't get the full story, and that it was all 'out of context' and they were just shit-stirring, and it doesn't matter now. But it really mattered then.

I had to neck 4 Brechts and a Lemper just to get the taste out of my brain.
                          Last edited by Gerontophile; 11-12-2018, 15:00.

Comment

But both Shelley and Robinson have argued against using any labels for sexuality. Shelley wrote:

I don't wanna classify you
                            Like an animal in the zoo

And Robinson added an extra verse to Glad To Be Gay:

For 21 years now I've fought for the right
                            For people to love just whoever they like
                            But the right-on and righteous are out for my blood
                            Now I live with my kid and a woman I love
                            Well if gay liberation means freedom for all
                            A label is no liberation at all
                            I'm here and I'm queer and I do what I do
                            And I'm not gonna wear... a straitjacket for you

Comment

And I agree, entirely. But you don't say one thing in the press, and then try to get away with it, elsewhere.

And, of course, we label ourselves, and therefore, we label others, but I was suggesting that your amazement upthread, was not entirely worthwhile, because it's happened before. Just that when this happens, we are engaged elsewhere.

And, yes, you are correct: I should not label. But I do.

And I will continue to do so, almost always, without 'facts'. (Going to have to come back to this, may need to edit, and Stephen A Smith is a bit of a knob)

Comment

Actually, I am fine, as is.

Don't earn your money from one thing, then fuck off from it.

Comment

Very sad. Made me look at punk beyond the snot and hellfire. Great live too. RIP.

Comment

In retrospect, my post looks a touch mean-spirited and led to a mild disagreement about sexuality so sorry about that.

Comment

Working...
                                    X