No announcement yet.

Favourite Radio Voices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seems to be some people who are putting forward people like on the radio whereas I thought the opening post was about voices we like the sound of which is a different matter.

I will go with many on here - Peel, Nunes, Young, Mair - and also add, as slackster has rightly mentioned the sexiness of Frostrup's voice, Antonia Quirke as well for the same reason (although different pitch).

I quite like Jim Naughty's voice as well, there is something comforting about it as with most Scottish voices on radio. I had grown attached to the mangled meter that was Robert Peston's metier and miss it now he has gone to TV.

Comment

For the first 20 years or so of my life the only American voices I heard were generally loud. TV sitcoms, movie cops, news clips of politicians' rallies, etc.

Then I travelled a bit and heard NPR, as well as syndicated shows playing old music. Suddenly I had a completely different perspective. It was like I'd left NYC and arrived in Iowa.

If you want to sell me a bridge just say "All Things Considered" in a voice that combines authority and seduction, and I'll sign on the dotted line.

Comment

Aleks Kratoski

Elizabeth Alker

Comment

(Adam) Rutherford and (Hannah) Fry, I love the fact that you can hear that they're enjoying themselves and are clearly really good mates.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Actually, on the Radio 4 vibe, growing up my folks would clear off on Sunday mornings and I'd be alone in the house with Alastair Cooke on the radio talking about America. His voice is still my favourite radio voice.
            Yes, and if you work your way gradually through the Letter From America archive you can hear how his voice changes over the years.

Ken Bruce on Radio 2 would be my contemporary favourite. And Kirsty Young.
            Scottish burrs seem to have a comforting effect on the soul.

Comment

Now there is a bit of an issue here as there are some people who appear on radio regularly but it isn't their main gig. However, I like their voices so:

Josie Long
              Grace Dent (although she gets a bit of money for old rope for 'presenting' "The Untold" on Radio 4 which just seems to use her voice to link other people's work)
              Tim Hayward (a restauranteur and food writer who appears on "The Kitchen Cabinet" and I didn't realise I liked his voice until he was on something else and I was pleasantly surprised to hear him).
              Edward Stourton who has one of those old-style Radio 4 voices full of gravitas.

Comment

James O'Brien, that's the one I've been thinking of. I know that he is a little bit matey but, even at his most rants, it is mellifluous. Amazing considering the shit he has to deal with on occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                  Now there is a bit of an issue here as there are some people who appear on radio regularly but it isn't their main gig. However, I like their voices so:

Grace Dent (although she gets a bit of money for old rope for 'presenting' "The Untold" on Radio 4 which just seems to use her voice to link other people's work).
                  Grace is one o' ours so I'm duty bound to be overall positive about her - and she gave a great review in the Guardian to the restaurant my son works at, and gave it an award in the local media (and he was cheffing that night), leading to the place being packed out in the last couple of months - however she's certainly filed the edges off her accent in recent times, evidenced in a quite bizarre showing over Christmas presenting a clips show about Christmas TV in 1988. In one sense fair play for escaping the professional Northerner role she carved out for herself, but at the same time it was her choice to carve it out.

Comment

Mickey Clarke on Wake up to Money
                    Maxwell Hutchinson when he's on Robert Elms.

Comment

Originally posted by Del Usory View Post
                      Corfield. Sleat. Rae.
                      Clugston. Soanes. Lester. Long. Butters.

And whisper it quiet

Feltz. Bruce.
                      I hate Vanessa Feltz on the radio. When I was doing nights in the factory, I'd be flagging by 5am when she started on Radio 2. Hearing her horrible, twee "Lovely listener" schtick is not the motivating factor you need to get you through the next two hours.

Perversely, Alex Lester on the same station from 2am-5am shoe (a tic later appropriated by Steve Wright) was fantastic and I have very fond memories of his shows.

Comment

Working...
                      X