Larkspur In Aspect - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wycombe 1-0 Barnsley

Wycombe sat deep to soak up the Barnsley 'pressure' in the first half. After half time they had a decent ten minutes, scored, then sat back again.

We just don't have enough guile to open teams up sometimes.

Comment

Bayern Munich 3-0 Nürnberg

Myself and Mrs TrL are both dying on our arses with a particularly grim cold virus, but having called in a favour to get tickets for this one it seemed like we needed to make the effort. Perked up by gluhwein in the city centre festive markts, we got the U-Bahn out to the gale-swept wasteland that leads to the Allianz Arena and made our way inside.

We were sat with the Nürnberg fans, who had a wide variety of songs that I couldn’t understand, but all seemed to feature the words “Scheisse Bayern”. Unfortunately it was their team who were scheisse, conceding two fairly average goals in the first half (both scored by Lewandowski).

They made a bit more of a go of it after the break, but Ribery scored a third off the goalie and that was that, really. We got so cold that we ended up watching from the concourse behind the Bayern fans in the lower tier, man there’s some exceptional waistcoats (and meffs) in there.

Came out with a couple of minutes to go, into a wind gusting 60km/h, which has done fuck all for my lungs and throat - not even a schnitzel and a few Augustiners whilst watching the Chelsea - City game has rectified things. Tidy ground though, loved how it looked when it was all illuminated.

Comment

Drove down to Guilsfield, which is a village near Welshpool, for their match with Connah's Quay in the Welsh Cup. The home side, who play in the second tier Cymru Alliance, have a decent little ground which has three small stands and a bit more cover in front of the tea bar. This came in handy as the weather for much of the game was abysmal, with the players all ending up covered in mud. Connah's Quay won the cup for the first time last season but looked like they might fall at the first hurdle in their defence as Guilsfield reached half time 2-0 up. The visitors pulled one back a couple of minutes into the second half, and then equalised with about twenty minutes left. From then on it seemed likely that Connah's Quay would take the victory and they hit the bar with a couple of minutes remaining. However Guilsfield managed to hold on for extra time but conceded once in each half to lose 4-2.

After a longer than expected afternoon in Mid-Wales, it was a much shorter than expected evening in North Wales. It was apparent that there were problems with a couple of the floodlights at Flint during the warmup and kickoff was delayed by ten minutes to sort this out. Visitors Bala didn't seem worried about the delay as the scored in the first minute. However the floodlights failed again within seconds of the restart, this time terminally.

Comment

I tuned into S4C to watch the second half of Flint v Bala and it was a programme about an artist who lives in Snowdonia. Buggered up Sgorio that floodlight outage

Comment

West Ham 3 Crystal Palace 2.

An enjoyable game for the neutral though Alan Hansen would’ve rolled his eyes at some of the defending. The Irons (when did they stop being The Hammers?) had their shooting boots on, though Palace opened the stronger and hit the bar when leading 1-0.

I liked how the cost of plastic cups of beer inside the ground (£4.40) leapt in price to over a fiver once we got to within an hour of kick-off. And I liked how the bloke behind us swore so fucking much that by the fucking end we were all fucking at it.

Comment

Boro 1 Blackburn 1

The game was defined by an incident in the first half where Besic appeared to pull back the Blackburn player who was heading for goal. That it was clearly a foul was evidenced by the sigh of relief around the ground when the referee seemed not to see it and waved play on. But the assistant had seen it and raised her flag. It was really only a case of whether it was a red or yellow card. It was red, Besic was off and Blackburn scored direct from the free-kick. The manager changed things around at half-time and introduced Boro's remaining two substitutes. This worked to good effect and Assombalonga scored the equaliser and could even have won it in the last minute. The officials were booed off at the end of both halves, presumably for getting the Besic decision right.
              Last edited by Capybara; 09-12-2018, 12:57.

Comment

Still feeling like shit, if anything marginally worse than yesterday, so what could be better than a walk through the driving rain at the Munich Olympiapark for the top of the table DEL clash between Red Bull München and Adler Mannheim.

Cracking match, much higher quality than the EIHL, a couple of good scraps and some exceptional goalkeeping. The München Nordkurve kept up a non stop barrage of noise and the Mannheim fans in the corner terrace did their best to match it. Full house of over 6000 too, impressive.

No score after 3 periods and overtime, so it came down to a shootout with the visitors winning it 1-0, their goalie again the hero. BallochSonsFan will be a happy man tonight.

Of the two sporting events I’ve taken in this weekend, this was far more enjoyable than the football.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                  Staying local, so it's Cricklewood Wanderers v Larkspur Rovers.
                  Larkspur Rovers are a fictional team from "Roy Of The Rovers" and I claim....etc.

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                  Wycombe v Barnsley

New ground.
                  It's a new ground for you or have they moved to a new ground?

Bath City 1-1 Concorde Rangers.

A match that makes it hard to explain the attraction of live match-going to the uninitiated. Horribly wet and windy beforehand (although the rain kept off reasonably during the match). I said at the start that it would be a game of mistakes and stupid goals and so it was. I would love to tell you about he goals but I didn't see either. The warmth of the half-time bar proved too attractive and I missed our goal straight after the start of the second half and I was otherwise distracted for their's but apparently both were shit goalmouth scrambles. Nothing more to report.
                  Last edited by Bored Of Education; 09-12-2018, 21:42.

Comment

Working...
                  X