No announcement yet.

The most famous song you've never heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary secretary is fucking brilliant no matter the artist.

Comment

Something in Chinese, probably.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
        People have been getting all pretendy-cross about Imagine for years though.
        Nowt pretendy-cross about my hatred for it. If it weren't for the fear of developing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I'd type out a diatribe that would make War & Peace look like a pamphlet.

Comment

Why pretendy-cross. Lennon sat in his mansion, with the Rolls-Royce outside, crooning about imagining no possessions. That's fine to ponder, but instead of singing, "And much as I try, I do love my mansion and car too much to transkate these ideas into reality", he admonishes the listener "to join us", as if he has accomplished these raduical ideas already. And even if that is a misreading, don't sing about imagining things, as if that is enough. Put on your yellow vest.

I like the melody though.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
            Speaking of "Gimme Shelter", have we done a "most astonishingly over-rated song of all time ever in the world ever" thread?
            Overrated by who?

If nothing else, Richards' guitar playing is outstanding on that record.

Comment

But, but didn't Lennon's credibility jump an even bigger shark with Working Class Hero?

Comment

The verses are still good but I didn't understand the relationship to the chorus. What does "A working class hero is something to be" mean?

Comment

From Wiki:

in an interview with Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone in December 1970, Lennon said, "I think it's a revolutionary song – it's really just revolutionary. I just think its concept is revolutionary. I hope it's for workers and not for tarts and fags. I hope it's about what Give Peace A Chance was about. But I don't know – on the other hand, it might just be ignored. I think it's for the people like me who are working class, who are supposed to be processed into the middle classes, or into the machinery. It's my experience, and I hope it's just a warning to people, Working Class Hero."

So it's about John wanting to get down with the kids (working class kids obvs).
                  Last edited by Aitch; 12-12-2018, 15:56.

Comment

So he's like Bruce Springsteen--a voice for the working man, who's never actually done a day's work in his life? (Outside of showbiz.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                      Overrated by who?

If nothing else, Richards' guitar playing is outstanding on that record.
                      It's a great record, but movie directors - especially Scorsese - are a bit too in love with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        It's a great record, but movie directors - especially Scorsese - are a bit too in love with it.
                        Yeah, fair point.

Comment

So he's like Bruce Springsteen--a voice for the working man, who's never actually done a day's work in his life? (Outside of showbiz.)
                          For most musicians, playing music professionally is hard fucking work. Obviously it got a lot easier for him once he reached a level where he could hire roadies and a nice tour bus, etc. But he didn't get to where he is by winning a TV show or being discovered at a mall.

Comment

He reached the tour-bus level pretty quickly, though. Fair play to him, and all that, but he didn't spend years having an idiot screaming at him as to what he should be doing (unless McCartney screamed, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                              For most musicians, playing music professionally is hard fucking work.
                              Yeah, some of them play as long as two hours an evening.

Comment

Hah. I used to think the same thing. But try singing along to just three or four songs in a row on the radio and see how quickly you're ready for a sit down and a tea.

Comment

McCartney was the most talented Beatle for sure, but if I could only keep 5 Beatles songs 4 would be Lennon's, although some of the things I love about them were contributed by Paul, like the intro to SFF or bass on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Comment

A bit. Except, Lennon's Aunty Mimi was rather middle-class, whereas Springsteen's family and surroundings were very much working class. His observations from a working-class POV were authentic because he lived in that environment, and was rooted in it. I suppose Lennon knew that environment as well, but he couldn't articulate it. Perhaps because it wasn't a lived experience for him. I wonder what the other three Beatles, who came from working-class homes, made of Lennon's posturing.

Comment

I've always understood "A working class hero is something to be" rather referred to the pigeonhole that others put him in, rather than the role he wanted or sought

Comment

Some very strange comments being made on here. I'm no Springsteen-apologist, but are people really suggesting that he dropped straight out of the sky into rock stardom?

And, as ad hoc suggests, Lennon wasn't claiming any kind of position of personal hardship. (I mean, like most of us, I'm not badly off but I reserve the right to argue in favour of those that aren't given a fair deal in this world.)

Comment

Well, that last line leaves open various interpretations.

Comment

I'm not a massive Lennon fan but was the gap between working and lower middle class really such an unbridgeable chasm back then? Maybe Aunt Mimi did buy her sofa outright rather than on HP, or whatever the indicators are, but it hardly makes him Lord David Dundas.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              Some very strange comments being made on here. I'm no Springsteen-apologist, but are people really suggesting that he dropped straight out of the sky into rock stardom?

And, as ad hoc suggests, Lennon wasn't claiming any kind of position of personal hardship. (I mean, like most of us, I'm not badly off but I reserve the right to argue in favour of those that aren't given a fair deal in this world.)
                                              It goes back to the dreaded A-word (authenticity); a concept I have realised, probably too late in life, is generally bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                Well, that last line leaves open various interpretations.
                                                I'd say it was fairly transparent. What were you thinking I meant?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                  I'm not a massive Lennon fan but was the gap between working and lower middle class really such an unbridgeable chasm back then? Maybe Aunt Mimi did buy her sofa outright rather than on HP, or whatever the indicators are, but it hardly makes him Lord David Dundas.
                                                  Nobody claimed that he was Lord David Dundas. The question was whether he grew up in a middle class environment. And by all accounts, the Mendips, where he grew up with Aunt Mimi, was a middle class suburb, and Mimi was middle class (albeit married into it) with middle class sensibilities, and the means to live a middle class lifestyle.

I don't know whether she bought her couches on HP or not. I have bought furniture on HP, and I would be a fool if I used that to define myself as working class.

Of course Lennon also had roots in the working class, so he indeed wasn't Lord David Dundas. He could comment with some authority on the condition of the working class. And he saw himself as working class, Mendips and art school notwithstanding. Of Working Class Hero, he said: "I think it's for the people like me who are working class, who are supposed to be processed into the middle classes, or into the machinery. It's my experience, and I hope it's just a warning to people, Working Class Hero." Written in his country mansion with the Rolls-Royce outside. So when he sings, "A working class hero is something to be. If you want to be a hero well just follow me", it is...ambiguous.

Comment

It goes back to the dreaded A-word (authenticity); a concept I have realised, probably too late in life, is generally bollocks.
                                                    Yeah, pretty much this. Instead of 'authenticity', look for sincerity. If you sense you're getting sincerity, accept it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X