The most famous song you've never heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    G-Man, you need to rectify not hearing "Planet Rock" right now.
    Oh, I did. I have no idea how I had never heard it before. It's in my line of music, and I'm not exactly ignorant of Afrika Bambaataa either. I have The Light album, which came out a couple of years after Planet Rock.

Comment

Fer me it’s even better than Trans Europe Express. It’s a pity there’s a taint of Glitter from Bambatta these days.
      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-12-2018, 19:48.

Comment

Of the top 100 in that list I have not knowingly heard the following:

Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
        What'd I Say by Ray Charles
        A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke
        Maybellene by Chuck Berry
        People Get Ready by The Impressions
        Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones
        The Weight by The Band
        Georgia On My Mind by Ray Charles
        The Message by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five
        Long Tall Sally by Little Richard
        Bo Diddley by Bo Diddley
        For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield
        Sunshine Of Your Love by Cream
        Tangled Up In Blue by Bob Dylan
        Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran
        Mystery Train by Elvis Presley
        Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino
        Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen
        Blitzkrieg Bop by Ramones
        Love And Happiness by Al Green
        Fortunate Son by Creedence Clearwater Revival
        You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones

I've never heard of The Impressions or Buffalo Springfield.

Comment

I envy you. There's a tonne of fantastic music there that I would love to hear for the first time

Comment

My flatmate keeps mentioning people like Kurt Vile and I keep smiling politely. If he was talking about Brecht’s pal I’d be on surer ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              I envy you. There's a tonne of fantastic music there that I would love to hear for the first time
              I decided to do a check on Youtube of the songs I listed, because I may have heard them without knowing, obviously now I've heard a bit of all of them, but songs I'd definitely never heard before are now:

Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan
              A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke
              Maybellene by Chuck Berry
              People Get Ready by The Impressions
              The Weight by The Band
              Georgia On My Mind by Ray Charles
              Tangled Up In Blue by Bob Dylan
              Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen
              Love And Happiness by Al Green

Some of the songs I knew within literally a couple of seconds - I just didn't know their titles.

Comment

Simon G's Unheards list would make a superb playlist.

Can I interest you in 35 different versions of Like A Rolling Stone?

Comment

At a slight tangent - I remember reading over and over again, and hearing from rock fans, that Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the Water' was one of the greatest guitar riffs of all time.

When I eventually heard the song, I remember thinking, "What's all the fuss about?"

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                    Well, this. I have no clue what the answer to this would be, because if I don't recognise a song, or find it catchy enough to make a mental note of, I won't remember it. So there is a very good chance that I will have heard some of whatever properly famous song I look at the title of and think "nope, don't know that at all" and then hear a fragment of and think "I've never heard this before".
                    Well, I think the subtext is 'the most famous song you've never knowingly heard', yes. I mean, I'm sure that I'd have many times wandered through a shopping arcade and some garbage by the Black Eyed Peas might have been playing, but I'd not have registered it.

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    10cc had a big song....now what was it called....
                    Ah - but we all know that you've heard that now.

With the general consensus on Planet Rock. Monster of a tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      My flatmate keeps mentioning people like Kurt Vile
                      Ah, Kurt Weill. Kurt Vile sounds like a WWE star.

Comment

The boy's pretty good, IMO. Purveyor of world-weary sketches dusted with a light, laconic finish.

Comment

Not sure I understand what's going on here, or the companion thread. How can something be famous if I don't know it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                            Not sure I understand what's going on here, or the companion thread. How can something be famous if I don't know it?
                            Because others do know it and know it well. The Ballad Of John And Yoko was a #1 single but stone me if I can recall a second of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                              You think that something cannot be famous if you don't know it? How on earth does that work?

No offence, but that's a little solipsistic to say the least.

Comment

I've just heard The Beatles' "It's All Too Much" for the first time ever and it sounds great (e.g. Ringo's drumming):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNH...XI4Bc&index=15

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  No offence, but that's a little solipsistic to say the least.
                                  Oi. Gero...'e says you've got sloppy lipstick.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that I had never heard La Vie En Rose until yesterday (when it popped up during, ahem, a repeat of Murder, She Wrote).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      I've just heard The Beatles' "It's All Too Much" for the first time ever and it sounds great (e.g. Ringo's drumming):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keNH...XI4Bc&index=15
                                      It’s freaking brilliant, one of George’s best. Beatles as a proper almost garage style Psych band (which despite tomorrow never knows, Rain, She Said She Said, bits of “Pepper” etc, they usually weren’t). That and Hey Bulldog were worth the rest of the horror on the Yellow Submarine album.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-12-2018, 01:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Same here. And yup.

Comment

Speaking of "Gimme Shelter", have we done a "most astonishingly over-rated song of all time ever in the world ever" thread?

Comment

No...but it's just a shot away.

Comment

Fuck man that’s Hobbesian.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                                Speaking of "Gimme Shelter", have we done a "most astonishingly over-rated song of all time ever in the world ever" thread?
                                                We don't need one because I would just say Imagine and kill the conversation stone dead.

Comment

People have been getting all pretendy-cross about Imagine for years though.

Comment

McCartney was the Best Beatle. Can we say it yet?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X