Players at your club that you hated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players at your club that you hated

Andy Goram. The fat mess was sweating in the tunnel before his debut against Coventry. He got subbed in the second half. I've got a feeling he didn't finish the 90 minutes in his second game either. He was shite. And worse than that he was a UVF supporting, Rangers piece of shit. An absolute disgrace to the shirt.

Mark Bosnich. Another fat mess. Couldn't kick the ball. Every time he did he got injured. And he'd done a Hitler salute to Spurs fans the massive fucking dickhead. Genuinely would have preferred Taibi to this unfit chancer. Imagine coming to Manchester United and thinking you could still spend your time going twos up with strippers with Dwight Yorke. I bet Roy Keane hated him. I did.

Paul fucking Konchesky. As soon as Uncle Woy was appointed, it was clear who Liverpool's shiny new left back was going to be. Sorry, did I say shiny? I meant fucking awful.

Bruce Grobbelaar. Bit of later-life revisionism that one, as when I was a kid I thought he was great, but then I never knew he was a big racist bastard at the time. Life, eh?

I also currently hate Graeme Souness, Mark Lawrenson and Phil Thompson, but their crimes are latter-day and post their time at Liverpool. Mostly.

Comment

Add me for Paul "Fucking" Konchesky.
      Wasn't entirely his fault though. He didn't make the decision to Sign.

And add El Hadji Diouf.

Comment

Leaving aside those who didn't make a good impression on meeting them on drunken nights out (I doubt they thought much of me either), and leaving it on the pitch...

I remember him from my Panini album a few years ago, he must be good, what a coup:
        Nicky Platnauer - ex Coventry, but was on a steep decline and seemed incapable of playing football.

David Cork: ex Arsenal, but a bit tubby and useless when he arrived at Glanford Park on the basis of having done a job for Mick Buxton at Huddersfield. Silly blond streaks.

Alan Birch: ex Wolves and I hated him because everyone else did. The crowd used to chant "fuck off Birch" every time he played, not sure what be'd done to earn the vitriol, he was shit but so were most of the other players. Rewarded the fans with full on V flicks when his corner delivery led to a goal, once. Older brother of Paul.

David Shearer: Older brother of Duncan. Played top flight for Middlesbrough. Good player but liked a drink by all accounts, and often played and looked as if fresh from the pub.

Billy big bollocks:
        Jermaine Beckford: signed on loan from Leeds reserves, having signed for them from non-league and having played 5 times for them and 4 times for Carlisle. Scored 8 goals as we cruised to the League One title, including the greatest goal ever against Rotherham, but had a really shitty attitude, acting as if he was slumming it in the provinces rather than launching his career alongside a great young team. Opted to remain in League One with relegated Leeds, and has since proved to be a decent player but insufferable prick at various clubs. Now at Bury, and somehow about to turn 35.

Saving the worst until last:
        Ian Ormondroyd. Endeared himself to fans by cheating against us for Bradford. Was later inexplicably briefly a star in the big league with Villa. 20 games for Scunny, no goals, no impact, no use. Then retired because of arthritis, which was a shame for him, but a shame for us that we had to witness him reaching that decision. He was very tall, which wasn't his fault, but the way he played made it another stick to beat him with.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
          And add El Hadji Diouf.
          Oh, yeah. Definitely him.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            And add El Hadji Diouf.
            Who was fine when he played for us.

More of a deep dislike than a hate, but Dean Holdsworth.

Comment

Dunno really. The bog standard answer to this question is Wim Jonk, but I can't really blame him that much for doing what most of us would have done if we were paid tonnes and given the opportunity to do nothing. There are players who the fans in general hated because they were perceived as shit (current incumbent: Morgan Fox), but I can't really hate them either (more the fact that they keep getting picked).

Jay Bothroyd seems to be a strong candidate among many fans, though his short time at the club barely registered with me, so I can't say I hated him

Comment

Gregor Stevens. Signed by Jock Wallace from Motherwell for an not unsubstancial for the time Ł165,000, not only did he replace my mate in the Leicester team he was so fucking shocking and unaware of positional play it was untrue. Lasted only 4 months before Wallace pursuaded his mates at Rangers to buy him for a knockdown price. The Ali Dia of Leicester.

Comment

Owners? Easy.
                  Managers? Easy.
                  Players? Surprisingly difficult. There's a few I resent for their incompetence - Xavi Valero springs to mind - but only one springs to mind when it comes to outright hatred. Stevie Evans. Shite player, worse person. Compounded by the fact I went to school with him.

If we can extend this to national teams: Vinnie Jones, Savage, Ben Thatcher.

Comment

Gilles de Bilde. Very obviously came for the money and played well below his capabilities. Scored a few goals in the Premier League relegation season then blatantly downed tools, we tried and failed to flog him to Villa and ended up paying his final two years of his contract up to get rid of him. Think he ended up winning the Belgian equivalent of Strictly.

Bothroyd - definitely
                    Leon Clarke - shite, then alright for a while, then shite again, then his final act for the club was breaking his toe celebrating in the relegation shootout v Palace and now he's at fucking United.

I have an intense dislike of our current manager, who somehow still hasn't been sacked.

Comment

It was after the dust settled that I grew to hate him. And it wasn’t altogether his fault. He maintained a scoring record of roughly 1 in 3 at Newport, including truly the best, most dramatic headed goal I’ve ever witnessed.

But really, Len Ashurst, what the fuck were you even thinking signing another forward? You had an embarrassment of riches to choose from - Tommy Tynan and John Aldridge in all their pomp - with wily veteran Dave Gwyther delivering crowd-pleasing cameos. What possessed you to smash our transfer record on Alan bloody Waddle?

“Unfortunate” is a word that comes to mind whenever I think of him. It was unfortunate that we paid so much for him, unfortunate that we had to sell John Aldridge for that same 80K, unfortunate that Waddle eventually fell out with the manager and left on a free. But there’s something unfortunate about watching a 6 foot 4 inch beanpole navigating his way around a football field, like watching a HGV driver reversing into a tight spot without realising he’s taken out an entire hedgerow.

The club never recovered but,though it wasn’t Waddle’s fault, he has been held up as the reason Newport went to the wall. It’s more complicated than that of course, but it just seems easier to blame the gangly freak.

Comment

I hated Neil Warnock when he played for us. Utterly useless bastard. Liked him as our manager, mind...

Comment

Billy Abercrombie. Being a washed-up wage thief didn't endear him to us in any case. But far worse than that, he put Kilmarnock's Gordon Wylde out of the game for two years with a sickening knee-mangler of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                            Gilles de Bilde. Very obviously came for the money and played well below his capabilities. Scored a few goals in the Premier League relegation season then blatantly downed tools, we tried and failed to flog him to Villa and ended up paying his final two years of his contract up to get rid of him. Think he ended up winning the Belgian equivalent of Strictly.

Bothroyd - definitely
                            Leon Clarke - shite, then alright for a while, then shite again, then his final act for the club was breaking his toe celebrating in the relegation shootout v Palace and now he's at fucking United.

I have an intense dislike of our current manager, who somehow still hasn't been sacked.
                            He will be when you lose at home to Rotherham (0-3) on Saturday.

I hated Jiri Jarosik when he played on loan for Birmingham. Clearly talented, and clearly could, not have cared less about putting in any effort whatsoever.

But I hated us signing Dennis Mortimer most. if you think your team has signed the very worst person they ever could have, you are wrong. Us signing that wanker is worse. If we signed Gabby Agbonlahor, that would be less awful than us signing Mortimer.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                              Billy big bollocks:
                              Jermaine Beckford: signed on loan from Leeds reserves, having signed for them from non-league and having played 5 times for them and 4 times for Carlisle. Scored 8 goals as we cruised to the League One title, including the greatest goal ever against Rotherham, but had a really shitty attitude, acting as if he was slumming it in the provinces rather than launching his career alongside a great young team. Opted to remain in League One with relegated Leeds, and has since proved to be a decent player but insufferable prick at various clubs. Now at Bury, and somehow about to turn 35.
                              Scored that goal just as I was shouting "Wealdstone reject" at him... He managed to leave Leeds at the end of his contract, so the Stones got nowt from the sell-on clause.

Comment

Steven Vaughan Junior. Purple-faced sweaty fat cunt.

Comment

Allan Clarke (at Barnsley) - hated him even though he dragged us out of the Fourth Division. Came cross as a big bully with no empathy. And of course the whole ex-Leeds "Do you know who I am?" shit.

Comment

Ben Thatcher.

Comment

Chris Maguire, last season. He simply couldn't be arsed, and when he joined Sunderland over the summer claimed that Bury's low crowds were the root cause of his performances.

Comment

Honestly can't think of a Shrewsbury player I actually hated. There were plenty I thought were crap but then they'd be replaced by someone who turned out to be even crapper.

Comment

Southampton went through a phase of signing old* Chelsea rejects and amongst those was David Speedie. I'd assumed he'd be in that 'hate them when they play for someone else, love them when they play for you' group but no, I hated the idea of him when it was announced, and he did nothing to win me over during his stay.

*as opposed to the younger Chelsea rejects we have in the squad now

Comment

Stephen Gray: came to Bohs from a cash strapped Derry City in 2009, left footed centre back/ full back. He started ok until about 5 games in when away to St Patrick's athletic he was embarrassed at left back by Pats winger Ryan Guy. Manager Pat Fenlon mercifully took him off at ht whereupon he spent the rest of the season in the stand going "oh,my knee hurts " every so often.
                                            All that would be just an unfortunate signing if we hadn't hit the skids financially, most of the players accepted free transfers or were willing to wait for payment but Gray (and another cunt) insisted on their contracts being paid In full and threatened to wind up the club.
                                            I know legally they were within their rights but at a time when we didn't know if we'd have a club tomorrow it was a bit cunty, at least the other player,who I won't name, gave his all for the club over a couple of seasons.

Comment

Goram is the obvious answer for Man Utd. As EIM says, two games, subbed in both. Conceded four goals (two against Coventry, two against Southampton).

Alan Smith was another contender. He might top the list if we include only those players who have completed a game for United, and run more than 100 metres for the club (excluding entering the pitch and departing it in humiliation).

I'd be quite tempted to add Paul Pogba to that list, but there is something likable about him. Plus, his every breath winds up Mourinho, so there's that.

Comment

As for Köln, I think most fans took a long time to warm to Paul Steiner when he came to the club in 1981. While still playing for MSV Duisburg, he broke the leg of FC legend Heinz Flohe (who by then was playing for 1860 Munich), effectively ending his career. But Steiner stayed at the club for ten years, long enough for old grudges to diminish. Still, when I think of Paul Steiner, I think of Flohe.

Comment

Before y'all's time but Tony Flowers. Couldn't run, couldn't pass wind. He once got lost in the center circle and played the only good ball he ever did. An inch perfect through ball to Charlton's striker. Tony Hately once twatted him on the pitch. He was simply first in line.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X