21st century FA Cup quarter-finalists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21st century FA Cup quarter-finalists

Noting on the main thread that Liverpool have reached a seemingly paltry (for them) four FA Cup quarter-finals since 2000, I thought I'd tally up the full list to see where they compared.

44 teams have reached the sixth round this century. The leaders are:

Chelsea 13
    Arsenal 11
    Man United 11
    Tottenham 8
    Everton 7
    Man City, Middlesbrough 6
    Blackburn 5
    Bolton, Fulham, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Reading, West Ham 4
    Aston Villa, Birmingham, Charlton, Millwall, Portsmouth, Sheff United, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tranmere, Watford, West Brom, Wigan 3
    Barnsley, Hull 2
    Bradford, Brighton, Bristol Rovers, Burnley, Cardiff, Coventry, Crystal Palace, Gillingham, Leeds, Lincoln, Plymouth, Swansea, Wolves, Wycombe 1.

Trying to work out the biggest surprise omission from the list in terms of overall league placing in those 19 years. Derby?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 04-12-2018, 18:26.

Norwich. Our failure to have a good crack at the cup this century, given that we've had three spells in the Premier League, really bugs me.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 04-12-2018, 16:58.

Comment

What are FA Cup quarter-finals?

Comment

I'm assuming he means what is properly called the Sixth Round.

Comment

What's an FA Cup Sixth Round?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
            I'm assuming he means what is properly called the Sixth Round.
            That round is commonly described by both names - and has been for as long as I can remember.

Comment

Commonly, yes. Officially, it was called the Sixth Round until 2017 when the FA changed its name.

Comment

Some people also speak of the 'eighth finals', which never sounds quite right to my ears.

Comment

An Anglicisation of octavos/ottavi/Achtelfinale which I agree doesn't really work.

Comment

I think you have misunderstood GO's question as being a pedantic one rather than a Rotherham supporter based one

Comment

No, I got that. I was responding to Kevin initially.

Comment

I considered both possibilities tbh but having already linked to a video of Norwich scoring against the Millers today I decided to play with a straight bat.

Comment

It's fifty years since the only time we ever appeared in the the draw for the sixth round; after drawing at home to Leicester City. We lost the replay...

Comment

In the context of the thread title though you can't refer to "Sixth Rounders". Unless you're Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Norwich. Our failure to have a good crack at the cup this century, given that we've had three spells in the Premier League, really bugs me.
                              Ipswich aren't on the list either if that's any consolation.

Comment

Which of the 44 has spent the least time in the Top 2 tiers during that period?

A few teams have made the QFs twice but never been in the Premier League this century.

Comment

Bournemouth and Huddersfield are the two current top flight teams not in the list. Derby might be the best bet as suggested for the best average league position this century not to make it. I'd say they're higher than Wednesday.

Comment

Huddersfield last reached the Sixth Round in 1972.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      Which of the 44 has spent the least time in the Top 2 tiers during that period?

A few teams have made the QFs twice but never been in the Premier League this century.
                                      Have Lincoln City? They were the only non-league team on the list when they joined it.

Comment

I think Lincoln have not been in the Top 2 tiers this century; since 1960-61 infact. Bristol Rovers haven't been in the Top 2 tiers since 1992-93.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          I think Lincoln have not been in the Top 2 tiers this century; since 1960-61 infact. Bristol Rovers haven't been in the Top 2 tiers since 1992-93.
                                          They haven't. Good chance they might end up there soon though.

Comment

Working...
                                          X