Overrated moments in football history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overrated moments in football history

"That tackle by Moore" - Bobby Meh, more like. Nowhere near as good as people would have you believe.

Law's derby winner in '74 - even if Man United had won, they would still have been relegated that day.

Comment

Barnes vs Brazil.

Barnes scored much better goals against teams that were actively trying to stop him.

Can I put forward All of Italia 90, except for the first game.

Comment

Brazil's fourth goal in the 1970 World Cup Final. It was three minutes from the end of the game, Italy were 3-1 down after chasing the game in midday Mexico City heat and clearly both dispirited and knackered.

Comment

all the more reason for Pele not to expect carlos alberto to turn up there when he played that blind pass into his path.

It must have looked like witchcraft to people at the time. It's still pretty impressive now.

Comment

That goal is still a thing of beauty. As TAB suggests, the beauty is in the passing, movement and anticipation, regardless of what the Italians did or didn't do.

Still on 1970, that Gordon Banks save against Brazil. It's quite astonishing, to be sure, but the "best save ever" shtick is an exaggeration. You see three, four saves like that in the Premier League every season.

For Jah Womble's benefit, I'll mention Geoff Hurst's no-goal hat-trick.

Comment

Brazil 82 (not quite a moment admittedly), amazing midfield and Zico but the keeper, defence and Serginho were decidedly average, where they finished was probably right.

Comment

Owen vs Argentina - he beats two men at most; with the speed he had before he fell apart I'd have been more surprised if he hadn't ended up staring Roa down.

And for balance, I'm not the only one who thinks Maradona's second against England is a Butcher OG, am I?

Comment

Eusebio's 1966 Golden Boot: mostly penalties (see also Harry Kane, 2018).

George Best's FA Cup double-hat-trick vs Northampton (1970): a great player scores mainly scuffers on a pudding of a pitch - and it was Northampton.

The 'Match of the Century' (W Germany vs Italy, World Cup semi-final 1970): pretty much a non-event before extra time.

The 1979 FA Cup final: mostly compost for 80 minutes.

Spain 2010: not exciting to watch - and their knockout results read like binary.

Olivier Giroud's 2017 'wondergoal': complete fluke.

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                  For Jah Womble's benefit, I'll mention Geoff Hurst's no-goal hat-trick.
                  Ha - I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't.

Comment

Arsenal's invincibles. Lost six times that season.

Comment

Zola's goal against Norwich in the 3rd round, January 2002. They showed it again this evening before the draw. Chelsea were already 2-0 up and cruising, at home, against a side a division below them. That goal didn't mean much, especially as they lost the final to Arsenal.

Comment

It doesn't help that people are scoring goals like that every week. The West ham 3-1 man utd game earlier this season featured a lee sharpe by west ham, and a Zola by man utd, and herrera basically scored a lee sharpe against southampton at the weekend. We're going to have to give people credit for coming up with stuff.

Comment

Fair point, but Mancini's one pre-dates it by a few years.

Comment

Beckham

Comment

What often gets forgotten about Messi's wonder goal against Getafe is that Getafe actually won that two-legged Spanish tie on aggregate.

Comment

AGUEROOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Comment

Rooney shinner

Comment

All of them. Everything that has ever happened in any game ever.

Comment

Even Maradona against England in 86. It only happened because England's defence was either too nice or completely incompetent. Just one of them had to obstruct him or trip him, accept the yellow card and that would have been the end of it.

Comment

And it's an own goal.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                          And it's an own goal.
                                          I'm with you 3CR. I must have seen it a hundred times, and I'm convinced most of the power in the shot came from Butcher, either kicking it himself, or at the same time as Maradona, or kicking Maradona's foot on to the ball.
                                          I love Maradona, but the goal against Belgium was better, the England one was poor defending (no tactical yellow) and an own/shared goal.

Comment

That night in Barcelona - it wasn’t even the most exciting finish to a match that month, never mind the season or any other overblown nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                              I'm with you 3CR. I must have seen it a hundred times, and I'm convinced most of the power in the shot came from Butcher, either kicking it himself, or at the same time as Maradona, or kicking Maradona's foot on to the ball.
                                              I love Maradona, but the goal against Belgium was better, the England one was poor defending (no tactical yellow) and an own/shared goal.
                                              I think so too but there may be camera angles which prove us wrong.

Comment

Gazza's tears.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                                  Gazza's tears.
                                                  England at Italia 90 full stop.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X