No announcement yet.

Overrated moments in football history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ricky Villa's goal. By a considerable distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      Archie Gemmill 1978 - was cancelled out a few minutes later by a Rep thunderblaster. And they still needed another goal anyway.
      It was still a great goal, though. Arguably better than Villa's, even.

Comment

One for the 'Great goals that ultimately didn't matter' thread that I think we did, I suppose.

Comment

Yep.

See also: Steve Mackenzie.

Comment

They're all overrated. We're all just hairless monkeys clinging to a rock careening through the void and we'll all die relatively soon.

Otherwise, I'd say Landon Donovan's goal vs Ghana to go through. We were pretty crap then and we're still crap then.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
              The moment when your side wins a corner. Despite there being a roughly 1 in 50 chance of scoring from it, the crowd give a huge roar. Followed by a bit of a sigh as your best crosser fails to clear the first defender or plops it into the keeper's arms.
              And then from the clearance the speed merchant on the other side is bearing down on your goal, chased by only a full back or shortarse midfielder, as your defenders lumber back from their chance of glory...
              Luckily fast players can't really finish and your keeper is able to push it out for a corner. A huge roar goes up from the away fans...
              Depends on the level of play. These seem to yield goals a lot in the lower levels of US soccer - high school, college, etc. And often set pieces are, or at least feel like, the only chance at a goal whatsoever.

And I suppose if your team is ahead in the second half, a corner is helpful, it's a few more moments of possession and shows your side is still pressing. Or if you're being beaten - especially badly - it shows your side is still trying.

Really, other than goals and spectacular saves - both of which are fairly rare - there aren't many moments to cheer in football, so fans take what they can get.

Comment

If you're playing against Panama with VAR, a corner is as good as a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by KGR View Post
                  Ricky Villa's goal. By a considerable distance.
                  Thing is that just looks like a perfectly ordinary goal today, but it must have looked like magic in 1981. This goal could have been scored yesterday. The pass is beautiful, and then the stepover to set up the shot is a bit of a surprise, and then that finish.

Comment

I was at that final. Doesn't seem 33 years ago.
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 04-12-2018, 20:57.

Comment

Well you got to see some football from the future. A player getting rightly sent off for an insane foul. But also a pretty slick goal.

Comment

Alf Ramsay's "stirring" words to his players before extra time in 66:

You've won it once. Now you'll have to go out there and win it again.

No, they hadn't won it. They'd drawn 2-2. And they only subsequently won it due to a phantom goal and another goal which would very possibly not have been scored if the phantom goal hadn't stood.

Comment

The Man Utd treble team of 98/99.

Inferior to later, less celebrated Ferguson teams and probably would lose in a head-to-head with his last title winning side.

Comment

Scotland becoming World Champions by beating England 3-2 in 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post
                              The Man Utd treble team of 98/99.

Inferior to later, less celebrated Ferguson teams and probably would lose in a head-to-head with his last title winning side.
                              I reckon they're behind the 1994 and 2008 sides, and just about ahead of the 2003. Ballsy cunts though, weren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                I reckon they're behind the 1994 and 2008 sides, and just about ahead of the 2003. Ballsy cunts though, weren't they?
                                Oh yes, and from an era when the league was more competitive from top to bottom, rather than the champions winning by March.

Comment

[QUOTE=That Night In Barcelona;1500591]The Man Utd treble team of 98/99.

Nah, I'm not having that. That midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes/butt, Beckham is the highpoint, and the endpoint of four man midfields. They came within a point of winning six consecutive league titles, which is pretty good going and the football was really beautiful, particularly compared with anything that came before. But it became apparent in europe that it wasn't enough to have a striker who dropped back into midfield. They needed a midfielder who could push up and join the striker.

The really striking thing about watching one of those matches (Here are the highlights of the arsenal 1-2 Man utd game from the following season. It's quite a famous example of the type. (It's the strangling headbutting game) is firstly it looks a lot like modern football. and good football at that. However if you look closely, there's enormous amounts of space, and the full backs hardly ever cross the half way line. There's no way a team even as good as this would have been able to handle playing against the Dutch 4-2-3-1 that man utd were playing in 2011-12 and 2012-13, with two overlapping full backs and inverted wingers. There'd be up to eight players swamping the midfield area at times. It would be like a really extreme case of those times when they would get caught out in europe.

Also that Raimond Van der Gouw was quite a handsome old bastard wasn't he?

Comment

It would be difficult to argue that whatever rabble Mourinho puts out Wednesday night is superior to that. Although they'll certainly be bigger (and heavier in Lukaku's case), and probably fitter although probably not inclined to show it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                      Nah, I'm not having that. That midfield of Giggs, Keane, Scholes/butt, Beckham is the highpoint, and the endpoint of four man midfields.

Also that Raimond Van der Gouw was quite a handsome old bastard wasn't he?
                                      Oh dear! Like I said, over-rated.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Archie Gemmill 1978 - was cancelled out a few minutes later by a Rep thunderblaster. And they still needed another goal anyway.
                                        Famous because of Trainspotting, IIRC.

Comment

1970 World Cup. I suspect that if I sat down to watch a random game I'd be bored as fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Was a famous moment before that in Scotland (glorious defeat mythos) and UK as a whole beforehand I’d say.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              Was a famous moment before that in Scotland (glorious defeat mythos) and UK as a whole beforehand I’d say.
                                              Wel sure. But it got that boost in 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                1970 World Cup. I suspect that if I sat down to watch a random game I'd be bored as fuck.

(Turn the sound right down)

Comment

I don't fully understand the 'old football was crap'-vibe that's permeating OTF at the moment. Watching an entire game of which I already know the outcome would likely have me reaching for the fast-forward once or twice regardless of how long ago the game might've been - but footage of the 1970 World Cup (for example) never bores me.

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                  Well, that brought it into the public consciousness and made it culturally-iconic, yes, but it was an oft-replayed goal before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                                    The header asks for 'overrated', otherwise - as ad hoc notes - it just becomes a list of memorable events in football history.

jwdd is taking it in an interesting direction, although I don't necessarily agree 100% with his summary. (This from the supporter of a team that's recently been fairly ineffective from corners.)

OK then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X