Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm kinda hoping my hints about this will prove to be fruitful:

Comment

You can’t go wrong with some limited edition punk china, all the way from London.

Comment

where's the link, MsD

Comment

I don’t have a public link but I can post some pics tomorrow.

Comment

I tried to do some shopping for my family members today, but I only ended up buying more things for myself. I like to avoid the gift card route whenever I can, because I really think that it's nice when someone gives a gift that they put some thought into--you know, like the old days before gift cards? However, I bought my BIL a hammock last year, and when I was over there at Thanksgiving I saw it, still in the box, still in the same spot where he put it after unwrapping it last Christmas. He's definitely getting a gift card this year. Some people are just not worth putting thought into.

I think I'm going to buy a bunch of small boxes of candies and maybe some other little small items and make little gift boxes.

Comment

I’ve no fucking idea what to buy now. The nebulous term of “jewellery” has replaced coffee machines in herself’s affections. God save me.

Comment

Jewellery is always difficult, especially in the early days of a relationship. It's super personal, so the chances of getting it wrong are much greater than hitting the mark. But, of course, she/he won't want to hurt your feelings so it might take some time to suss that out. It was about three years into our relationship before I realised La Signora didn't really like jewellery at all.

Comment

You just have to observe what kind of jewellery a woman wears on a daily basis and then try to find something that matches her style.

Comment

Buy her a hoover.

Comment

I've never bought a woman jewellery* or flowers. My respective arguments are "Trinkets detract from your natural beauty" and "Flowers wilt and die within days. Bad symbolism."

As I've mentioned before, I only do birthday presents, not Christmas presents, for The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With. And it's always an activity rather than an inanimate object.

The best one (for me, at any rate) was two years ago, when we spent a Saturday afternoon at some place in the Lüneburger Heide where you can take donkeys for a walk. The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With loves donkeys, I was allowed to sing Judge Dread's "Donkey Dick" for hours on end. A truly perfect day out.

* Apart from our wedding rings, purchased from the German equivalent of Boot's. €2.99 for two gold-coloured plastic rings topped with bright-green plastic roses. My rose snapped off when I was signing my name at the registry office.
                      Last edited by treibeis; 09-12-2018, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        But, as a Nespresso user, I've long since abandoned my coffee high-horse.
                        I have a Philips Senseo, so I'm probably the lowest of the low.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                          You just have to observe what kind of jewellery a woman wears on a daily basis and then try to find something that matches her style.
                          Yes, or if you post a picture of the sort of thing she wears, maybe we could suggest similar.

I lost my chunky Westwood “Open 24 Hours” bracelet in Margate, to my regret. May buy myself something similar, but it was rare.

Comment

If she says jewellery LS, what she means is she wants you to buy yourself a watch for her to admire.

Comment

Ideally a cool one, like a calculator one or a TV remote one.

Comment

The thing to do, LS, is scout out a local Christmas market and see which stalls are doing jewellery in your budget (and that you like), then go there on date night and wander along and see what she picks up and goes 'oooh' over. Avoid the expensive ones by dragging her over to look at the artisanal fudge (or whatever) opposite.

Comment

If she admires someone else’s jewellery, you could mug them. You’d get points for effort and being edgy.

Comment

or just buy something you really like and which you think will suit her. even if you're "wrong" she might appreciate the effort, and th fact htat it's from you.

Keep the receipt...

Comment

She will appreciate the effort, but if you buy her something that isn't really her style, you might feel a little deflated later on when you notice that she never wears it. Trust me on this, it doesn't just happen to men. It's the reason I've stopped giving the women in my family jewellery unless it's something on someone's wish list.

Comment

where Jeremy Corbyn (and I) are doing our Christmas shopping

Comment

My ceramics and soft furnishings are here, really hard to photograph the silver chrome but it's on the lettering, "England's Dreaming" on the Queen's lid, on the silver DANCE on cowboys, and the Queen's safety pin and tiara.

I discount for more than one item, just sold another jar and plate so I'm happy with that. All numbered out of 50 (or 100 in the case of the Queenie jar). Generally £25 jar £20 plate, £10 tile/pot stand. They're wall tiles, but I can put a cork backing on them so you can use as pot stand.

https://www.facebook.com/annie.daygl...5654872&type=3

Comment

Testimonials "I wondered whether the sex cowboys reproduction jar would be appropriate for my elderly aunt, but she absolutely loves it, and says it reminds her of Gary Cooper. She keeps her teeth in it and is the envy of everyone in her retirement home." Mr PG, Eastbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                              Testimonials "I wondered whether the sex cowboys reproduction jar would be appropriate for my elderly aunt, but she absolutely loves it, and says it reminds her of Gary Cooper. She keeps her teeth in it and is the envy of everyone in her retirement home." Mr PG, Eastbourne.
                                              Nice! I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                                It's not always that simple though. The small amount of jewellery La Signora sometimes wears is for sentimental reasons — eg: her Mother's pearl necklace and Rolex watch — she would never in a million years choose them herself.

Comment

I get that, but it's not like you can't ask questions ("That's a lovely necklace you're wearing. Is it a family heirloom?") . That might prompt her to say "Yes, it was my Mother's" (in which case you would know not to buy her another pearl necklace because you don't want to exactly duplicate something with sentimental value) or she might say, "No, I just like it" (we're talking about a hypothetical woman now, not La Signora specifically), in which case you now have a valuable piece of insight into what she likes.

Comment

Of course you ask questions, and even more keep your eyes open, it's still iffy though. If I buy a flowers, books, chocolates or perfume I'm on safe ground, "wearables" are another matter. Some of this in La Signora's case is indeed specific, paralysis on one side means that anything that makes her look lop-sided is to be avoided. Sweaters and necklaces can do this, bracelets get in the way. Scarves and other accessories are a better bet, though not a sure thing. Jewellery is an extreme example, partly because it's expensive — so she will feel she has to wear it, at least for awhile — and partly because sometimes she just can't but doesn't know until she tries. For example she has never been able to wear her wedding ring on her left hand because it falls off without realising. Her right fingers are swollen with arthritis, so they're no help. On a chain around her neck, it works its way around to her left shoulder. In the end it doesn't get worn at all. It isn't only her though, my first wife liked topaz, but only if the setting it was in was right. My grandmother would never wear green, except in jewellery and then only if it was dark enough (more malachite than emerald.) Like I said, way tricky.
                                                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 09-12-2018, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X