Christmas gift tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
    She will appreciate the effort, but if you buy her something that isn't really her style, you might feel a little deflated later on when you notice that she never wears it. Trust me on this, it doesn't just happen to men. It's the reason I've stopped giving the women in my family jewellery unless it's something on someone's wish list.
    Completely agree with that. Jewellery and clothes are really personal so I wouldn't get that for someone unless I know their taste extremely well.

Getting something for someone that you think would really suit them but isn't their usual style is also fraught with danger, because it can be read as an implicit criticism of their style (basically you're getting them something you wish they would wear, instead of the type of stuff they do actually like to wear.)

Comment

AdC: I understand what you're getting at, I was trying to provide guidance to someone in a relatively new relationship. The longer you've been with someone, obviously the more you know about their likes and dislikes.

Comment

Being a lazy bastard, I've just bought 15 items from the same retailer (y'know, big family and all that).

Turns out that they're all going to be dispatched separately. Fifteen delivery charges. Some items might not arrive before Christmas.

I may have fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          I have a Philips Senseo, so I'm probably the lowest of the low.
          If you want the "lowest of the low" crown, you need to level up your game here. My parents offer guests coffee and then serve instant decaf.

Comment

Sam, did you ever consider a charcoal kettle to cook on? You can cook anything on it, fast or slow, and power or gas outages don't matter.

Whatever you do, have a great holiday man.

Comment

Mrs Lurgee is getting one of these:

Which might seem like the world's worst gift but (hopefully) isn't. She's been pining for a decent wok for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                Being a lazy bastard, I've just bought 15 items from the same retailer (y'know, big family and all that).

Turns out that they're all going to be dispatched separately. Fifteen delivery charges. Some items might not arrive before Christmas.

I may have fucked up.
                This feels like a 2001-ish situation. These days, any online retailer taking themselves seriously offers free delivery or at least free delivery for orders over a certain amount - $50 or $100 - or free delivery for regular customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurgee View Post
                  Mrs Lurgee is getting one of these:

Which might seem like the world's worst gift but (hopefully) isn't. She's been pining for a decent wok for ages.
                  YeAH, I wouldn't.

If she wants a wok, she will know that the one you have there, is not the one she wants. Trust me on this. And also, never trust anyone, who says 'trust me'..

Except in this case. It's a wok. she picks her own

Comment

Yeah, I spent £60 on a bunch of stocking fillers - games and Blu-Rays mostly. Now add £1.50 per item to that.

The site I bought them from does get its online stock from its retail stores so I figured that I would get several parcels drip-fed over the course of a couple of weeks but no mention of the postage charges was made until after I'd clicked "buy these items" in my basket.

Comment

I have a nice story for all of you. Two years ago for Christmas, I bought my nephew a jacket. I never really heard any feedback about how he felt about it, but he's an Aspie so I didn't give it much thought. Fast forward to today when I asked my sister if he had a wish list, and she said that he didn't make one this year because he wants us to give him whatever we think he wants. He told her that he wasn't very excited about getting the coat from me, but it has turned out to be his very favorite coat and he wears it all the time. And just for that, I'm going to spend twice as much on his present as I do on any of my other niblings' presents.

Comment

I thought this manipulative piece rather beautiful.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...CMP=GTUK_email

Comment

Working...
                        X