Christmas Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    It's the Die Hard of Christmas songs. It's not about Christmas, is it? A line of it is about Christmas, but it's not a song about Christmas.
    See also: 2000 Miles by The Pretenders. (In many cases, merely adding the word 'Christmas' to the lyric is sufficient.)

Comment

Run DMC - Christmas in Hollis

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
        It's the Die Hard of Christmas songs. It's not about Christmas, is it? A line of it is about Christmas, but it's not a song about Christmas.
        Is "Happy Christmas, War Is Over" any more about Christmas?

Comment

The title seems to hint at it, and the lyrics support the thesis. One could support the thesis that X-Mas is a McGuffin, but I'd say the positioning of the message around the theme of Christmas makes it a Christmas song. Lennon could have made it more explicit by incorporating Christian imagery of the birth of the "Prince of Peace", but that wasn't really Lennon's thing.

Put it like this: Die Hard or "Stop The Cavalry" would have worked just as well without references to Christmas; the Lennon/Ono song hinges on Christmas and New Year.

Comment

I just heard Michael Buble's version of Blue Christmas on the radio. It was alright but I prefer Elvis's version.

Comment

I was tempted to find or start a thread about Lyrics You Could Fix but this seems as good a place as any to say this :

It always annoys me that the otherwise excellent 'One More Sleep' by Leona Lewis has the clunky (and surely inaccurate) lines "Now I don't think I can remember, a cold and lonelier December" when the far more elegant "...as cold and lonely a December" would have scanned just as well.

It really mars what is probably the best Xmas song of the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Lists nicked from another site. I have bolded the ones I like:
                Good game that, but I'm not seeing the seasonal angle to this song:

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                10 - LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
                Daughter was playing Christmas songs last night and asked what was my favourite Christmas song and feeling contrary I said "No Christmas" by The Wedding Present but it has nothing to do with Christmas and seemed just to be given a Christmas related title so they could release it in December as part of the Hit Parade series (with a cover of Step Into Christmas on the b-side).

Comment

My favourite Christmas song is It's Cliched to be Cynical at Christmas by HMHB, but:

a) I see it was already mentioned and
                  b) I am a cynical old bastard despite the message of the song.

Comment

Ride reworking one of their own songs, many years before Love Actually...

Comment

I'm not a Christmas cynic and adore most aspects of the occasion, but I do like Blink-182's I Won't Be Home For Christmas.

Comment

I only came across it recently but Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbard's cover of Lonely This Christmas is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTzm4DoMCPA

Comment

I don't recall the astonishingly talented and prolific Jacob Collier being mentioned before on OTF, so here's an opportunity to remedy that with his version of 'The Christmas Song', complete with trademark multi-tracking and an arrangement of unbelievable complexity, all performed and self-produced in his bedroom/studio at home in London.

Comment

I will reprise my assertion that "Stop The Cavalry" by Jonah Lewie is the outright winner (despite not technically a Christmas song) followed by "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses and "I believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake. I quite like the Hives/Cyndi Lauper one that was upthread in that it is seems to be the "Fairytale In New York" that is OK to like.

Comment

I like the Ride song. Thanks for sharing that. Their first few EPs and that first album were really good. Doesn't look like they added this song to any CDs, which is disappointing. Only a rare 7".

This is a new discovery for me: Hard Skin, "Ding Dong Merrily, Oi, Oi" (if the last talking parts weren't there you could play it for the kids. Haha)

And I probably posted this Material Issue song in this thread already, but a great power pop song that almost holds up outside the Christmas Season.

And The Humpers with a nice garage rock version of "Run Run Rudolph"

Last edited by danielmak; 12-12-2020, 06:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                I will reprise my assertion that "Stop The Cavalry" by Jonah Lewie is the outright winner (despite not technically a Christmas song) followed by "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses and "I believe in Father Christmas" by Greg Lake. I quite like the Hives/Cyndi Lauper one that was upthread in that it is seems to be the "Fairytale In New York" that is OK to like.
                                I agree with just about all of that.

Comment

1. A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris de Burgh
                                  2. Christmas Baby Come Home - Darlene Love
                                  3. I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday - Wizzard
                                  4. That Greg Lake one
                                  5. Little Drummer Boy - Bing and Dave

Comment

No mentions for Showaddywaddy?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                        No mentions for Showaddywaddy?
                                        I’m sure even Showaddywaddy would claim Hey Mr Christmas as any kind of seasonal classic.
                                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 13-12-2020, 09:56.

Comment

In Pizza Express in Harrow earlier, a James Brown Merry Christmas song was being played. Loved it, but I have no memory of having heard it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

I’m sure even Showaddywaddy would claim Hey Mr Christmas as any kind of seasonal classic.
                                            Aye even by early 70s standards it's pap- but with a certain charm that reminds me of school discos

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              In Pizza Express in Harrow earlier, a James Brown Merry Christmas song was being played. Loved it, but I have no memory of having heard it before.
                                              He did a few Christmas albums so there are quite a few songs that it might be.

You must be close to having your own slates behind the counter, Pete Beale style, at the Harrow Pizza Express.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

Aye even by early 70s standards it's pap- but with a certain charm that reminds me of school discos
                                                Showaddywaddy are supposed to be an enjoyable live proposition even now, aren't they?

Comment

Who's Peter Beale?

Comment

He was a character in Eastenders during the 1980s who had his own pewter tankard behind the bar at the Queen Vic.

I am willing to entertain the possibility that this may not be a universally recognised reference as we approach the dawn of 2021.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X