Christmas Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my Phil Spector Xmas LP.
    Me too. Gave it its first spin of the year this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
      Blue Christmas by Bob Dorough with Miles Davis

https://youtu.be/UqZ1O0YhY5Q

https://youtu.be/UqZ1O0YhY5Q
      Wow! I love bob dorough's schoolhouse rock songs. Didn't know he'd recorded with Miles Davis.

Comment

This cover is gorgeous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emXbfEzXn6A

Comment

I'm going to be in the bad books for this, but:

Underratedly lovely 'Christmas' songs that right put me in the mood when doing tree/decorations yesterday (as it does every year): Gaudete
          Massively-overrated Christmas awfulness: Christmas Wrapping.

Comment

Having worked many a Panto, at some point we had to make sure that Another Rock n Roll Xmas wasn't on the CD for the walk in music.

Comment

The only Christmas album that matters.

Comment

Here's my top 15

Donnie Hathaway - This Christmas
                The Flirtations - Christmas Time Is Here Again
                Nat ‘King’ Cole - The Christmas Song
                Slade - Merry Xmas Everbody
                Andy Williams - Happy Holiday/The Holiday Season
                The Jackson 5 - Christmas Won’t Be The Same This Year
                Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You
                William Bell - Everyday Will Be A Holiday
                Wizzard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day
                Rosie Thomas - Why Can't It Be Christmas All Year
                Ron Sexsmith - Maybe This Christmas
                The Emotions - What Do The Lonely Do At Christmas
                John Prine - Christmas In Prison
                Dana - It's Gonna Be A Cold Christmas
                Carpenters - Merry Christmas Darling

Comment

Not sure this is a Christmas song, but it always cheers me up at this time of year:

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                    I'm pretty happy with my Phil Spector Xmas LP.
                    Originally posted by Jon View Post
                    Me too. Gave it its first spin of the year this evening.
                    Jon, does Stumpy know that you have his LP?

Comment

I’ve nicked it too. That and the Mariah ersatz Spector track is all you need for crimbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                        Jon, does Stumpy know that you have his LP?
                        Ha ha! Well, if stumpy's real name is Sue Pickford then maybe so. (my copy is second hand and has Sue's name biroed in on the front cover).

Christmas wrapping. Heard this for the first time this year a week ago. I always forget what a killer bass line it has. As it's on ze records i guess kid creole had a hand in it as he was their in-house producer.

No mention yet, i don't think, of the ramones 'merry Christmas (i don't want to fight tonight).' It's great.

Finally, head over to the disinterred mertesacker emptiness thread for a great version of 'Do they know it's Christmas.'

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          I’ve nicked it too. That and the Mariah ersatz Spector track is all you need for crimbo.
                          Aside from the Nespresso.

Comment

Do songs about New Year count as Christmas songs? I'm wondering whether to put Abba's 'Happy New Year' on a Christmas playlist.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              No mention yet, i don't think, of the ramones 'merry Christmas (i don't want to fight tonight).' It's great.
                              Good call! I've also got a Helen Love cover version of it which, great though HL are, doesn't come close to the original.

Comment

No mention of "Stop The Cavalry", the best (non) Christmas song ever? OTF has gone to the dogs.

Comment

The Beach Boys thing is bloody awful. "Christmas comes this time each year"? Yeah, thanks for that. Get in the sea.

No-one can mention it any more, but "Another Rock and Roll Christmas" is an absolute belter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Get in the sea.
                                    Not you, Dennis - you've had too many.

(Edit: Two years later, I notice that this could easily have been misinterpreted - it was a reference to one of the Beach Boys as opposed to the perpetrator of the post!)
                                    Last edited by Jah Womble; 08-12-2020, 10:29.

Comment

Last Christmas - Wham for me.
                                      It's a proper song of lost love and as such isn't the cheeriest and most festive (much like Fairytale of New York I guess), but I think it's fantastic.
                                      If it had been re-worked as non-Christmas themed it would be up there with Careless Whisper, A Different Corner etc.
                                      The naff ski lodge video didn't help either.

Comment

I saw Brian Wilson's* band perform the whole of their Xmas album last night and it sounded great, especially this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBgT...P56_iZocbmUXFJ

They did another Xmas album in the 70s as a "contract filler": Warner Brothers rejected it but it has some excellent Brian flourishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBk2Ms1fLqw

*Wilson was there but really in body only, sadly. He is near the end healthwise, having had major back surgery earlier this year.

Comment

KT Tunstall's version of Mele Kalikimaka always makes me smile. I love a Christmas song set in a warm climate.

https://youtu.be/nAg-F8lWjac

There must be other examples, surely. Any Aussie Christmas songs, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                            No mention of "Stop The Cavalry", the best (non) Christmas song ever? OTF has gone to the dogs.
                                            It's the Die Hard of Christmas songs. It's not about Christmas, is it? A line of it is about Christmas, but it's not a song about Christmas.

Comment

*dons tin helmet*

The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)

Comment

Originally posted by Prester John View Post
                                                Any Aussie Christmas songs, for example?
                                                See Gero's earlier post.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                  It's the Die Hard of Christmas songs. It's not about Christmas, is it? A line of it is about Christmas, but it's not a song about Christmas.
                                                  To be fair, I did put "(non)" to point that out.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X