Going Up The Butthole - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Patrick, your defensiveness towards Tan U is mystifying and almost touching but Warnock has always been a purveyor of shithouse football par excellence.
    They aren't my club and you can have whatever opinion you like, Ray.

I still think it's a cliché to single out Warnock as a purveyor of anti-football. The other Premier League teams I've seen this season have also been shit, with the exception of Arsenal.

If I paid full rate to watch them then, yeah, I'd probably have a different opinion. But I've seen 4 games for £10 this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      That’s still very prelavent, coachloads still leave South Wales for Anfield and Old Trafford
      This was happening as long ago as the 70s (and maybe even earlier, dunno) curiously enough (in Man Utd's case) at a time when the Red Devils were having very little success, thus partly destroying the myth that these supporters were all glory-seekers.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        They aren't my club and you can have whatever opinion you like, Ray.

I still think it's a cliché to single out Warnock as a purveyor of anti-football. The other Premier League teams I've seen this season have also been shit, with the exception of Arsenal.

If I paid full rate to watch them then, yeah, I'd probably have a different opinion. But I've seen 4 games for £10 this season.
        I don't think Ray is saying they're shit as such. More like dirty as fuck. That's the Warnock way. Foul dive cheat and foul again. Shithouse football not shit football.

Comment

Started the day with the Parkrun at Macclesfield, which reminded me of the one in Carlisle in that it's a mix of tarmac and grass with quite a bit of climbing; I suspect it wouldn't have taken much more rain this week for it to have been cancelled.

After lunch in Loughborough it was off to Butthole Lane (or The Dovecote if you prefer). Nicely ramshackle ground built up in the days when ground grading improvements were met by making up somethin yourself rather than ordering from a catalogue. The game was fairly comfortable for the home side as Shepshed won 3-0; the first turned in from a free kick just before half time, a second early in the second half and a penalty to secure the win late on. Visitors NKF Burbage (one of the few teams around named after a charity, in this case the National Kidney Fund) played alright but were a bit toothless upfront.

I ended the day with ice hockey between the Sheffield Steelers and Belfast Giants. It was 1-1 after two periods before the Giants scored twice early in the third. Sheffield gave themselves a chance after scoring a penalty, awarded when they were a man down, but Belfast secured the win with an empty net goal with 11 seconds left.

Comment

Blackburn Rovers 4-2 Sheffield Wednesday

Fucking hell have we still not sacked him? Rovers scored after ten minutes and the game settled into a weird pattern for the rest of the first half where both sides seemed happy with the scoreline. They were pressing the hell out of us all over the pitch whereas we were allowing them to wander round unchallenged until they got over the halfway line. On came Forestieri and Nuhiu at the interval and our commitment levels increased (from a low base admittedly), it says a lot for the first half performance that Fessi looked more arsed than most of them. They carved our feeble defence open at will, Bradley Dack bossed proceedings for them and Danny Graham scored a hat trick. Danny Graham FFS! We scored a couple of times to keep the game interesting but, really, we were hopeless.

The atmosphere in the away end was not the most positive. There were loud and repeated chants for our manager to go, and unusually for Wednesday there was no real dissenting voices at this (you usually find some folk who want to get behind the team). Our motivational hero in charge stayed wedded to his seat on the bench all afternoon. He's given up, the players have downed tools for him, he needs to go although the bigger structural problems at the club would still remain with the clown in the boardroom.

Snakey will probably ban me from the board for saying this, but I liked Blackburn. Decent set of fans (well, apart from the tosspot in the Riverside), stewards all seemed fairly reasonable, they had a fanzine on sale (I got to buy fanzines from both clubs which is a first for me), a nice wet cobbled street for the stereotypes, though I wasn't sure about the mascot (bulldog?) parading a Union Jack around the pitch pre-match. It was also nice waving at their fans leaving when 4-2 up.

Fun travels thanks to the Northern Rail strike and Manchester Christmas market. A check of the routing guide on Friday had shown Warrington was a legitimate route, and as all the trains were wedged I went there on the way back. Quite a place, really. Had to walk across town to change station, and firstly I passed a fairground organ playing Mary's Boy Child and O Come All Ye Faithful and better still it was directly opposite the memorial for the lads killed in the 1993 bombing. Had time for a pint (the final of four new Guide pubs during the day) so went to the Lower Angel. The Guide entry refers to its Christmas decorations and, fuck me, they were quite incredible, giant liquorice allsorts all across the ceiling and an enormous Willy Wonka marionette hanging on a wall. I mean, do go, it really is something.

So, yeah, we were rubbish, we got beat, I got piss wet through, was out of the house practically all day, I saw 4000 holes in our defence and an enormous pothole in Sheffield on my way to the Rutland, and it was bloody brilliant.

Comment

Zilina 2 Dunajska Streda 2

Filip Balaj, a doppelganger for Peter Crouch, came on as a late sub for Zilina and rescued a point with a last-gasp goal - a header from a free-kick, obviously. Fantastic game, with the 3rd and 2nd placed sides bringing the very best out of other. Dunajska have a few players who've nearly, but not quite, made it in 'bigger' leagues ; Christian Herc was with Wolves and Zsolt Kalmar is on loan from Leipzig. Both look too good for the Slovak league. So does Ivorian striker Vakoun Bayo, who, it is said, could be off to Trabzonspur during the winter break.

As usual at this fixture, the merits or otherwise of the Treaty Of Trianon were up for discussion. Dunajska Streda (the football club) are a kind of rallying point for Slovakia's ethnic Hungarian minority, though, to be fair to them, they emphasise that they are there to represent both communities in town, their website is in Slovak and Hungarian etc. Meanwhile, 20 years or so ago, Zilina elected a mayor who had a drunken rant about commandeering a load of tanks to advance on Budapest. Given this history, it's sadly inevitable that a section of visiting fans will chant 'Hungaria' and a few of the home lot will respond with 'Madari, za Dunaj' ('Hungarians, back across the Danube'). Is it too much to hope that, one of these years, they'll all get bored with such nonsense?

Comment

Tranmere 1-1 Southport

Much like the last round, Rovers lucky to escape with a replay against lower opposition.
                Devarn Green should have won it for the visitors against his former club late on.
                Goal of the round contender for the Southport equaliser.
                Might well be on TV again for the replay I’d have thought.
                Good following from across the Mersey who certainly made themselves heard.
                Rovers digging themselves into a bit of rut of late, not helped by square pegs in round holes going forward.
                If Norwood leaves in Jan, which seems likely, won’t be a pleasant 2019...

Comment

Shrewsbury Town 1 Scunthorpe United 0

I went for the tick but it turned out to be more than that. I’m generally not keen on new, out-of-town grounds but there was something I liked about the New Meadow (as I think its unsponsored name is). I enjoyed the portraits of former players about the place – especially Boro ‘legend’ Alf Wood – and the little fans’ area behind the south-west corner. And it was very friendly. It was a good atmosphere and a really enjoyable and competitive game. A lovely goal from Aaron Amadi-Holloway in the first half looked to have settled it but, with Shrewsbury tiring, the referee gave a late penalty to Scunthorpe. A cracking save from the ‘keeper ensured that Shrewsbury progress to a home tie with Middlesbrough in the next round.

Comment

Junior Hoilett's winner was goal of the month on MOTD2 last night. I think it's the first time I've seen a goal of the month winner in real life.

Comment

Working...
                    X