No announcement yet.

Christmas Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy: Hans Gruber is the Mourinho figure in the story, McClane the Klopp.

Comment

Christ yes, McClane is a wanker. He'd definitely be wearing a MAGA hat if they made that film now

Comment

Fuck off, you selfish bastard.*

Aquaman is coming: That is so Liverpool/Rangers/Sevco/Celtic.

Also, Patrick Duffy. (Saying nothing. Sort yourselves Uti.)

*Nope, apparently you are a racist. I am a greyhound who fucking hates Ballyregan Bob, but you know, hooves for typists.

Comment

Oh, yes...

It's not the first Bruce Willis thing, it's always the second, without the ham acting, and the other stuff (except Bonnie Bedelia, who, along with Dennis Franz, is wasted, literally, in this. And you skid on an airport runway whlilst setting fire to a tune, Ye[, fuck you, Merry Christmas.

Die Hard Plural, was sighltle better.

NBUt I dohnt care.

Comment

It's not about Gruber being the good guy. But McClane is a cop acting outside his jurisdiction. An extrajudicial murderer putting the lives of others at risk to fulfil some American fantasy. As Gruber notes "just another American who saw too many movies as a child. Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshall Dillon?"

McClane is the NRA. He's police brutality. He's, as ad hoc pointed out, Trump and MAGA. He's aggressive foreign policy in the Middle East and Latin America. He's a totem for the complete failure of the American dream.

Comment

That’s not wrong. I don’t know if he *is* those things, but there’s definitely a strong connection between 80s action films and the fantasies that inspire the current GOP.

Comment

Don't you go trying to ruin Die Hard for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Just fifteen minutes or so but often shown on German TV at Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVd_VLO9xcc
                  Not at Christmas. On New Year's Eve. It's a strange tradition.

Comment

As we’ve discussed before, WPIX established a tradition of showing all The Twilght Zones on New Years Eve. SyFy has continued that. They’re all on Netflix and/or Prime now.

Comment

So, back to Die Hard...

Silent Night was composed by Franz Gruber. Just found that out today.

Comment

Die Hard is shown the penultimate week before the winter vacation on my Intro to Film module (the last week is saved for La Haine, cos I’m not daft).

I have discovered that in Croatia it’s called “Die Like a Man” and in Poland “Trapped in Glass”.

Comment

Similarly, in Spain it's 'La Jungla de Cristal.'

Haven't seen it for years but i do love Die Hard. Don't really care for any of the sequels though. I wonder, has anyone read the roderick thorp novel that the original film is based on?

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                            Easy: Hans Gruber is the Mourinho figure in the story, McClane the Klopp.
                            All Klopps Are Bastards. AKAB.

Comment

Slight tangent but most the diminished Christmas experience between childhood and now has to be reading the double issue of the Radio Times. I bought it last year, partly out of surprise that it still exists, but the hours of schedule plotting fun that it used to afford were entirely lacking. I didn't look for the TV Times, not wanting to compound the disappointment.

Comment

Just had It's A Wonderful Life on Film4. I still think of it as a fillum about being stuck in a small town, but there y'go...

Comment

The Many Saints Of Newark has a Christmas sequence in it. I don't think it qualifies it as a Christmas movie, unless you reckon that "Stop The Cavalry" is a Christmas song, in which case The Many Saints Of Newark is definitely a Christmas movie.

Comment

Both Scrooged and the Muppet Christmas Carol are ones that I won't mind watching if they're on. I have a soft spot for A Christmas Story just because it feels like both an unsentimental/yet somehow sentimental take on a largely gone period of American life; that said, it's a faint shadow of the glimmering brilliance of Jean Shepherd's stories (of which, the two that were always the most evocative for me, was his story about going fishing with his father and the apex, his depiction of the Fourth of July).

Comment

I'm showing Bad Santa in the Xmas slot at Cineclub tomorrow night. Sadly the caterers no longer do pizza, so it's sandwich selection plus nuts crisps n dips.
                                      Only done a Xmas film once before (Muppets) cos I prefer bring-alonga-clip which allows participation and natural snack/toilet breaks. And there arent enough good xmas films to choose from

Comment

I can't remember if we touched on this before on the thread but recent releases Green Book and Paddington 2 are now "Films I Like To Watch at Xmas" without necessarily being Xmas films (though the finale of the former does take place at Xmas).

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                          Just had It's A Wonderful Life on Film4. I still think of it as a fillum about being stuck in a small town, but there y'go...
                                          That town looked a hell of a lot more fun if he'd stayed dead, and his wife would probably have having a whale of a time down the gin parlours.

Comment

I'm going for it this year. Cleared Christmas with the Kranks and The Muppet Christmas Carol on streaming last night.

Waiting on the local Vue announcing screening times for the It's A Wonderful Life 4K restoration next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              Yep. What Snake says. LOTR and Star Wars films aren't action. If you walked into Blockbuster back in the day and went to the Action Movies shelf and those films were on there you'd laugh.
                                              If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too...

Three years too late but I'm not letting a good quip go to waste.

Comment

I'll go for A Christmas Story too. Also One Magic Christmas, because it has Harry Dean Stanton as an elf in a tree, and somebody dies which never normally happens in Hollywood at Christmas. Favorite oldie (Alistair Sim excepted) Christmas in Connecticut, Barbara Stanwyck and Sidney Greenstreet can never be bad in anything, at any time of he year.

Comment

There's a sort of reboot of A Christmas Story out now. It's called 8-Bit Christmas or something like that and is about a guy telling his kid about growing up wanting a Nintendo. I watched a bit, but it starts off with him recalling that his school had one rich kid with an Nintendo who was a dick to all the other kids. I remember that world and don't want to return.

As I mentioned, I watched White Christmas which is extremely "white" in a way the makers didn't consider. I like watching those old films mostly just so I understand a bit about the history of film, but it was kinda enjoyable anyway.

Comment

I watched Holiday Inn for completeness sake. I can now understand why it wasn’t on TV much. There’s a big racist number in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X