Clear All

Christmas Films

Comfort and Joy

Die Hard

Chicken Run

Die Hard

Trading Places

Muppet Christmas Carol

The Ref (not great, but in the pantheon of Christmas Movies it doesn't require greatness to rise near the top)

Comment

Elf

Scrooged

its a Wonderful life

Comment

Love Actually

Scrooged

It’s A Wonderful Life

Trading Places

Arthur Christmas

Comment

Miracle On 34th Street
          It's A Wonderful Life
          White Christmas

Comment

Home Alone
            Home Alone 2
            Elf
            Love Actually
            Die Hard
            The Polar Express
            Fred Claus
            The Christmas Chronicles (a new film on Netflix that I watched with my family on Saturday night - was a more than decent film).

Comment

Many moons ago the BBC produced a Richard Curtis TV special called Bernard and the Genie with Alan Cummings, Lenny Henry and Rowan Atkinson among others. We had it taped off the telly for years on VHS and we used to watch bit every year with one friend in particular. Mrs Thistle eventually found it released on DVD in Europe or something and we bought it. We try to watch it in the run up to Christmas with the same friend. It's a fun tradition.

Muppet Christmas Carol
              The Nightmare Before Christmas
              The Santa Claus(e)

Comment

If we’re allowing TV “films” my family also watch Raymond Briggs’ ‘The Snowman’ and ‘Father Christmas’ every year.

I always like to watch Marx Brothers films at Xmas, I think it stems from the BBC showing them late on Xmas night a lot in the eighties.

Oh, and ‘When Harry Met Sally’ too but that’s a New Year film really.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-11-2018, 00:35.

Comment

My all-time favourite film, The Apartment, is Xmas and NY.

Comment

A Christmas Story and A Box of Delights

Then all the classics from the 40s.

Comment

Gremlins, apparently. I had completely forgotten about that but it turns out that it's because I've only seen Gremlins 2.

Morvern Callar, kind of.

Comment

It’s a Wonderful Life
                        A Christmas Story
                        Elf
                        Merry Christmas Charlie Brown
                        Miracle on 34th St
                        Christmas Vacation
                        How the Grinch Stole Christmas (classic Boris Karloff version. Haven’t seen the new one)
                        Mickey’s Christmas Carol
                        Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer (classic stop-motion animated version)
                        Arthur Christmas
                        I also like most of the versions of A Christmas Carol. I like the recent Patrick Stewart one. Not sure if any of the older classic ones have been cleaned up for HD.

Comment

Not Christmassy per se, but Casablanca is the film I most like to watch around Christmas time.

Comment

Hmmm, are Christmas movies really the same as movies that happen to have Christmas in them? For example, Die Hard was a summer blockbuster, and arguably is not imbued with the essence of the Christmas spirit. It wouldn't have made a difference had it been set at Easter.

Maybe it's a bit like "Stop The Cavalry". One line about Christmas, and, boom, it's a Christmas song.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                              Not Christmassy per se, but Casablanca is the film I most like to watch around Christmas time.
                              This. And The Apartment, Marx Bros.
                              I think I really dislike “Xmas films” on the whole, but get the idea of the repeat/ritual viewing of a familiar pleasurable object. So my childhood examples were the landmark Disney films being saved up for Xmas broadcast, and above all The Great Escape!

So to exemplify my anti-Xmas film feelings I always say Bad Santa when forced to pick one.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                Hmmm, are Christmas movies really the same as movies that happen to have Christmas in them? For example, Die Hard was a summer blockbuster, and arguably is not imbued with the essence of the Christmas spirit. It wouldn't have made a difference had it been set at Easter.

Maybe it's a bit like "Stop The Cavalry". One line about Christmas, and, boom, it's a Christmas song.
                                It's set around a Christmas party - that's good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

…that was the point

Comment

Two types of people in the world. Those who say Die Hard is a Christmas movie and those who are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      A Christmas Story and A Box of Delights

Then all the classics from the 40s.
                                      A Christmas Story is my favourite. It's my girlfriend and mine's first Christmas together this year and I'll be introducing her to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                        Two types of people in the world. Those who say Die Hard is a Christmas movie and those who are wrong.
                                        Even if that were right, which it isn’t, I wouldn’t include Die Hard on my list. I tried to watch it again recently and didn’t get far.

Comment

This. And The Apartment, Marx Bros.
                                          As I noted above, The Apartment is totally Christmas. It includes an office Christmas party, a pissed Santa Claus in a late night bar, Christmas presents, Christmas Day at the apartment and chez Sheldrake, the quiet period in the office between Christmas and NY and, finally, NYE celebrations.

It is also, IMHO, one of the greatest films ever made.

Comment

All of mine have been said already
                                            Trading places
                                            The Santa Clause
                                            Elf
                                            Muppet Christmas Carol
                                            A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart chewing the scenery.

Comment

Two of those are now horribly censored in the TV versions. A Muppet's Christmas Carol because they never play the "The Love Has Gone" song in the ghost of Christmas past bit (because it's too sad and reduces Tyson Fury to a blubbering mess) and Trading Places because they never show the bit where Jamie Lee Curtis gets her boobs out.

Comment

I get the feeling that Paddington 2 is going to become a Xmas classic and annual rewatch, in my household at least. It doesn't actually feature Xmas at all but has that feel.

Comment

For years the BBC seemed to show "The Poseidon Adventure" every year over the Christmas period. I tend to associate that film with Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X