Simple Gastronomic Delights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Gastronomic Delights

I like a good meal as much as the next person but there are times when I want something simple, usually for lunch when I am at home, as today. So, I fixed some cheese on toast. Glorious! Hadn't made that for ages. The other day it was the noble fried egg sandwich.

Any other simple delights?

Bacon sandwich if I’m feeling dirty. Frozen banana outdoes most ice creams.

Comment

Well made beef stew is sublime.

Roast chicken is considered by many to be the ultimate test of a French chef’s art.

Comment

Pineapple is the best ice cream.

Comment

Stew for the win every winters day. But you need a good few hours a simmering.

I had an amazing roast chicken in a fairly cheesy Berlin Biergarten, the meat was so soft and juicy it was a sin. I dread to think what equivalent carvery type pub ops in Ireland or UK would do to the poor bird.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
            Pineapple is the best ice cream.
            Ooh good call, never had that and now I’m intrigued.

Comment

Trust me on this.

Comment

Well it does make for the best fruit juice.

Comment

On a hot day, really hot, pineapple juice in sparkling water. Refreshing and quenching.

Comment

I love lasagne more than life.

Comment

With beef cheeks rather than mince. I’m all about the beef cheeks these days.

Comment

Something I ate a lot as a kid: tomato sandwiches. Tomatoes fresh from Dad's greenhouse, white bread, lots of butter, with a touch of salt and white pepper to taste. I can taste it right now, and god I want one.

Comment

Tomato Bread Catalan style is great on a summer’s day.

Comment

I often wonder if there's anything actually as delicious as bread and butter, provided that the bread is good and the butter is plentiful.

Comment

French butter with the sea salt crystals......

Sorry. Having a moment there.

Comment

In France, something about bread and butter makes it so fucking gorgeous.

I used to swear by salad cream sarnies but have belatedly come to realise it’s just ok rather than great.

Great is a morning after slow roasted brisket with chillies, the gravy and some gerkins on thick toast.

And when I cook chicken in lemon and milk, it’s great. And the next days ristto cooked in the stock made from the chicken bones.

But cheese on toast is great but the cheese is all. Non-crumbly Lancashire is sensational but I’ve come to love a mature cheddar.

Comment

Sourdough baguette..... lightly toasted.... butter just dripping

Comment

My go to place for a lunchtime “Breton style” ham and cheese galette has just closed down. Am a bit bereft. I suspect another unlovely 70s block is to soon make way for a just as unlovely fake brick/plate glass facade Brexit escapee office block, seeing as most of the retail units have been closed. Don’t really like sweet crepes but.
                                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 27-11-2018, 20:22.

Comment

Cheese on toast is delicious. Even crappy cheese and crappy bread can make good cheese on toast - you really only need some pepper and salt to make it good. It gets better, of course, gussied up a bit with chili flakes or spring onions or olive oil or whatever. But fundamentally, it's always good.

Comment

Even Kraft ezee singles plastic cheese on toast is better than a kick up the arse. Maybe a bit of Worcester and pepper for taste. Can strip the roof of your mouth off if eaten too soon but.

Comment

For winter evenings lamb stew and dumplings. I too am having a moment.

Comment

And I love yorkshire pudding. Gonna toot my horn here but I make a really good one.

Comment

Lentil stock celery pancetta onion garlic chili and carrot soup all blended up. Maybes a few plum tomatoes and a potato as well. If I’d a spare 4 hours tonight that’s what I’d be up to.

Comment

I am bloody starving now!

Comment

Yeah I’m killing myself now. M&S pork shank meal for one will be like ashes in my mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X