No announcement yet.

Oddly specific song title duplication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Manfred Mann/Squeeze one is another example of the second one being a direct reference to the first (or at least the film to which the Manfred Mann track was the theme)

Comment

Did New Order deliberately choose the title 'Round and Round' in reference to the Spandau Ballet song?

Scott Walker and Joe Jackson both released songs called 'Tilt'.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Child Ballads View Post
        Did New Order deliberately choose the title 'Round and Round' in reference to the Spandau Ballet song?
        Unlikely, but Heaven 17 might well have chosen Temptation as a nod to the former.

Comment

I Wish (Stevie Wonder and Skee-Lo)

Don't You Want Me (The Human League and Felix)

Gold (Spandau Ballet and Prince)

All probably too generic for this thread but hey-ho...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            And Jim Diamond (#1 single)
            And Richard Marx.

Comment

"Pretty Little Angel Eyes" was originally Curtis Lee.

"Best Of My Love" - The Eagles (awful) and The Emotions (great).

"My Girl" - The Temptations, Otis Redding and Rod Stewart
              Last edited by adams house cat; 26-11-2018, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                "My Girl" - The Temptations, Otis Redding and Rod Stewart
                And Madness.

Comment

"Bad Boys" - Wham!, Inner Circle and Gloria Estafan.

Comment

What I'd like to know is (without having to trawl through that entire database), might there be a longer/more defined song title than that of the OP that has been used by more than one artist?

Comment

Not in answer to JW, but

Young At Heart - Sinatra/Waits
                      Young At Heart - Bananarama/The Bluebells

Comment

You never know - Wilco
                        You never know - Goldfrap

You do something to me - Paul Weller
                        You do something to me - Cole Porter (I have Ella Fitzgerald and Marlene Dietrich performing this)

I just organised my songs alphabetically (in reverse for some reason) and didn't have far to go to get these too, ignoring all the obvious cover versions. I'm sure there are many many more.

Comment

The amiright site is quite admirable, particularly for not including the Carpenters in the "Close To You" entry, because as everyone knows, that song is called (They Long To Be) Close To You.

But it then blots its copybook with the entry for prospective longest duplicate title "It Never Rains in Southern California" which is the title of Albert Hammond's track, whereas Tony! Toni! Toné!'s song was actually called It Never Rains (In Southern California).

Comment

That's nonetheless in the frame. (In space, nobody can hear brackets.)

A little way behind Boulevard of Broken Dreams, however.

Comment

Better the Devil You Know by Sonia, which was somewhat worse than the Kylie song with the same title, proving its own point.

Still two letters short of BoBD though, and probably doesn't count as oddly specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                What I'd like to know is (without having to trawl through that entire database), might there be a longer/more defined song title than that of the OP that has been used by more than one artist?
                                Would 'What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted' by Jimmy Ruffin or the Wedding Present fit your criterea? Longer, yes, but maybe not defined enough.

Comment

Yeah, it's a tough one to nail down - compared to BOBD, WBOTBH? feels like a commonplace question, while BTDYK is a standard saying. (I was going to add Jesus Jones to the latter mix, but their hit was simply The Devil You Know.)

I think we'll know when we find it.

Comment

Not quite, but very close
                                    Any Place I Hang My Hat is Home (variously sung by Barbra Streisand, Judy Garland, Sammy Davis Jr, and Beyonce)
                                    and
                                    Wherever I Lay My Hat, That's My Home (Marvin Gaye, Paul Young)

Comment

Games People Play (multiple, I have a Bob Andy version)
                                      Games People Play - Alan Parsons

Good Times, Bad Times - Rolling Stones
                                      Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin (a comma, and a nod?)

Loads of Hold On

London Girl - Pogues
                                      London Girl - The Jam

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
                                        Games People Play (multiple, I have a Bob Andy version)
                                        Games People Play - Alan Parsons

Good Times, Bad Times - Rolling Stones
                                        Good Times Bad Times - Led Zeppelin (a comma, and a nod?)

Loads of Hold On

London Girl - Pogues
                                        London Girl - The Jam
                                        London Girls - The Vibrators

Comment

Tears on My Pillow - Little Anthony & The Imperials / Johnny Tillotson / Kylie Minogue
                                          Tears on My Pillow - Johnny Nash

They are actually different songs, although when I first heard Kylie's version of the former, I was surprised by how closely the lyrics resembled those of the Nash song. (Not knowing about the original of Kylie's hit, I assumed that this must be a SAW rip-off job. Thankfully, I'm older and wiser now.)

True Colo(u)rs - Cyndi Lauper
                                          True Colours - Go West

The latter were daft enough to release their song when Lauper's was already in the charts. Not a clever move - and it stiffed.

Comment

There's also London Girls by Chas and Dave.

Comment

...and by Stephen Duffy (1995).

That title isn't that much of a stretch, though.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                                                Feeder have managed to release two entirely different tracks both called Come Back Around.
                                                Kylie Minogue has done the same with the title Love At First Sight

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                                                  Feeder have managed to release two entirely different tracks both called Come Back Around.
                                                  And another by Eddy Grant with The Equals?

Comment

Can't say I've heard of that one, but their Baby Come Back was also the title of a sappy 1977 US #1 by Player.

And also apparently a hit by multinational boy group Worlds Apart.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X