Oddly specific song title duplication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddly specific song title duplication

Mr Cogito and I have heard different songs called 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'. Now, admittedly, I haven't looked into where Green Day got their song title from, but what other completely different songs share a title that you'd think would be unique?

God Save the Queen - although obviously there's more than a whiff of cynicism and parody in the Pistols' use of it.

Recently, nineties stalwarts Cornershop and Helen Love both released completely different singles called Double Denim - which despite being an oft-used term, is still something of a coincidence.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, there are sixteen songs called (The) Power of Love.

Comment

Frankie goes to Hollywood, Jennifer Rush and Huey Lewis and the News all had big hits with completely different songs called THE POWER OF LOVE within 12 months of each other in 1984 and 85

Comment

And Stumpy and Me both had posts about in within 3 minutes of each other, Spooky!

Comment

To be honest, the Huey Lewis one is probably the best.

Comment

Probably not specific enough to qualify but there have been a lot of songs called All Around The World.
              Oasis, Lisa Stansfield, The Jam, Justin Bieber and probably a few others.

Also a fair number of songs called Around The World.
              Daft Punk, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon and again probably some more.

The RCHP song includes the lyric 'All around the world' as well.

Comment

I Should Have Known Better - Beatles and Wire.

Comment

Talking of Oasis there's Half the World Away and Half a World Away (REM).

Comment

Abba's Angeleyes, Roxy Music's Angel Eyes and Showaddywaddy's Pretty Little Angel Eyes all charted in very close proximity to one another between late 78 and mid 79.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                      Abba's Angeleyes, Roxy Music's Angel Eyes and Showaddywaddy's Pretty Little Angel Eyes all charted in very close proximity to one another between late 78 and mid 79.
                      There was also Angel Eyes by Wet Wet Wet.

Comment

So anyway...

Comment

Ooh, just remembered both the Tragically Hip (1998) and Super Furry Animals released albums called Phantom Power (2003).

Looking up on Wikipedia to check the years of release and apparently Rick Wakeman used the same title for an album in 1990.
                          Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 26-11-2018, 12:07.

Comment

Joy Division and Parliament/Funkadelic have recorded songs called Atmosphere, but they both pale in comparison to Russ Abbot's.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                              I Should Have Known Better - Beatles and Wire.
                              And Jim Diamond (#1 single)

Comment

Blue Monday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_M...s_Domino_song)

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  And Jim Diamond (#1 single)
                                  Wasn't that called I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I Should Have Known Better?

Comment

Whitesnake and Alison Moyet both released Is This Love(?) in 1987.

Comment

This site has 6,700 examples of such songs. Some are not surprising repeats, but others obviously came about when somebody was aware of the title of a song and used it for their own tune, such as Sting *spit* with Englishman in New York.

Comment

Nice find! Just added another suggested song for the title "Any Day Now" as they don't have the Elbow song there.

Comment

Angel Eyes by Abba and Roxy were not only similarly-named but simultaneous hits in the summer of 1979. (Ditto Crazy by both Seal and the late Patsy Cline at the tail end of 1990.) But neither of these is an especially unusual title.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                          Ooh, just remembered both the Tragically Hip (1998) and Super Furry Animals released albums called Phantom Power (2003).

Looking up on Wikipedia to check the years of release and apparently Rick Wakeman used the same title for an album in 1990.
                                          If we're expanding this to album titles, then Mr Big (ie, the US group) not only co-opted an existing band name, but released an album called Raw Like Sushi within eighteen months of Neneh Cherry having had a global hit with a collection of the same title. Which struck me as a very odd thing to do.

Edit: New Order deliberately chose the Blue Monday title in reference to Fats Domino's tune.
                                          Last edited by Jah Womble; 26-11-2018, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                            This site has 6,700 examples of such songs. Some are not surprising repeats, but others obviously came about when somebody was aware of the title of a song and used it for their own tune, such as Sting *spit* with Englishman in New York.
                                            It's not exactly comprehensive. I was going to suggest Come Together so I had a quick check how many there have been altogether; the versions by Spiritualized and Primal Scream are both missing.

Comment

Feeder have managed to release two entirely different tracks both called Come Back Around.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                Talking of Oasis there's Half the World Away and Half a World Away (REM).
                                                They also have Stand By Me.

Comment

Fox on the Run (Manfred Mann & Sweet)

Up the Junction (Manfred Mann & Squeeze)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X