Graffiti ain’t wot it used to be, ya bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graffiti ain’t wot it used to be, ya bass

This thought was occasioned by walking a dog from a refuge on the edge of Gateshead. The muddy path took us past a wall, remnant of a crumbled house or farm building upon which, in yellow paint much weathered and faded but still visible was “Dire Straits”!
    Local pride? Misreading of their early ‘new wave’ credentials? It certainly dated from then, late 70s. As did ‘Angelic Upstarts’ on the back of a factory on the cycle path/old railway line through Walker near my house, which was only demolished a couple of years back.
    So I can’t think of any graffiti about a band more recent than that.
    Obviously graffiti has improved massively in its visual creativity compared to then but mostly around here it’s tags. Ironically ‘FIGS’ peppers the metro lines. Not as tribute to my username on here, but ‘Fuck It, Get Stoned’ crew, I believe.

Any unlikely band names still on display round your way..?

"UK Subs" (graffiti, not stickers) adorns the lavatories of at least two boozers near my gaff.

Not a group, but still: "Pascals Mutter mampft Scheiße" ("Pascal's mother munches shit") is under the bridge on the footpath through the allotments round the corner from the hut.

Comment

Before the Queens Park/Caia Park race riots about 15 years ago, you would often spot a motif spray painted around the town centre.

The letters QP forming a sort-of crossed keys styled monogram, then below it "MAFFIA". With two Fs.

The mis-spelling summed up the area quite effectively. My sister lives there now... the things we do for love, eh?

Comment

M Khan is bent

Comment

M Kahn is still bent OK

Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 25-11-2018, 15:34.

Comment

Just in case you have any doubt how middle-class York is, there is (was?) a graffiti on the side of the railway line just arriving into the city that reads in big letters 'PESTO'

Comment

Up until about five years ago The Move was written on the wall outside an old folks home across the street from me.

Comment

Should perhaps have read 'The Final Move'?

Comment

Stop War For Eve

Comment

The building just outside London Bridge / Borough Market which bore the immortal inscription "Big Daves Gussett" is no more, unfortunately.

Comment

In Shrewsbury, years ago painted, on a wall was "Please ban the bomb" (polite around our way).

Underneath it someone had sprayed "Edge is more deadly".

To this day I still wonder who Edge is and were they really that hard.

Comment

Also in Shrewsbury there was a billboard saying something like "Less Waste, Less Pence" trying to make the point about saving money. Someone had corrected it to read "Fewer pence."

That unknown corrector is my grammar warrior hero.

Comment

"Danger, beware you are entering Cabra West " was on a wall in my area for years until the building was knocked down. Unfortunately it was on the side that you could only see when you were leaving Cabra West.
                          A faded "Jock Stein Celtic 68" could still be seen on the wall near my old school until recently,I'll have to have a look to see if it's still there.

Comment

On the bridge abutment as you arrived into Bridgend station from Cardiff, someone had gone to the effort of recreating the full 'COOK PASS BABTRIDGE'

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                              Just in case you have any doubt how middle-class York is, there is (was?) a graffiti on the side of the railway line just arriving into the city that reads in big letters 'PESTO'
                              They obviously wanted to write PESTON but were interrupted by the arrival of the "Feds".

Comment

There was a fantastic piece of surprisingly recent graffiti on Lime st in Dublin and in huge letters was "SHAWODDYWODDY" which is a phonetic rendition of how Dublin people would say it.

Comment

Great Deltic photo, that, BB&F.

There’s a bridge in Newport which marks the start of an area called Lliswerry, pronounced by the locals as Liz Werry.

Some passive-aggressive nationalistic graffiti, which has been on the bridge for many years, says “LLISWERRY - WITH 2 L’s”.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                    "Danger, beware you are entering Cabra West " was on a wall in my area for years until the building was knocked down. Unfortunately it was on the side that you could only see when you were leaving Cabra West.
                                    A faded "Jock Stein Celtic 68" could still be seen on the wall near my old school until recently,I'll have to have a look to see if it's still there.
                                    Where I was born, there was a "Welcome to Barton Hill. Have a nice stay." Nobody was welcome, nobody had a nice stay. The wall got knocked down about 20 years ago.

Comment

For about twenty years a band called The Pies have had their name on a bridge over the M57, close to Swtich Island. I think there is another bridge with their name on over the M6 somewhere in Cheshire. When they eventually got round to releasing their first album last year they got coverage on the local news.

Comment

During my last visit to Nottingham, a real flying visit about two years ago, just one day/night, I took a walk around what was left of the old neighborhood. Not much really, but on a wall that used to surround the old Gun Factory the message "Clapton is God" was still decipherable. I knew tho bloke who painted it.

Comment

My favourites from when i was a nipper.

On the wall in Sparrowhall (A housing estate in Liverpool) Victory to Vietcong.

On a bridge in London in 1968. God save Radio Caroline.

On a wall in Scotland Road Liverpool. All Vicars are queer.

On a wall on the East Lancs Road. Bomb China.

Comment

On a wall near my parents' house in Walsall there's a plain 'Bob Marley' in white paint which has been there ever since I can remember, emphasised by a new downpipe for the roof guttering having been attached in front of it.

Again in plain white, someone has sprayed 'Corbyn is a cunt' onto the brickwork of a pedestrian short cut under the elevated District Line five minutes walk from our house. It lends a fitting '70s throwback feel to its surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                              Before the Queens Park/Caia Park race riots about 15 years ago, you would often spot a motif spray painted around the town centre.

The letters QP forming a sort-of crossed keys styled monogram, then below it "MAFFIA". With two Fs.

The mis-spelling summed up the area quite effectively. My sister lives there now... the things we do for love, eh?
                                              That's the Welsh speling, 3CR

Comment

Before Rot-Malsch station was rebuilt for step-free access a couple of years back, someone had recorded the following ditty for posterity on one of the walls of the old shelter on the Heidelberg-bound platform:

Hat das Mädchen 15 Jahr
                                                hat ihr Mäuslein volles Haar
                                                sind die Titten prall und dick
                                                ist es Zeit zum ersten...

Comment

Familiar to all Mancunians (or more specifically Salfordians) of a certain vintage - Dean Lewtas is a grass. Has this been done on here before?

I liked the gnomic, Egg is a grass, on a bridge over the Rochdale Canal in Failsworth.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X