The Smartest people on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Smartest people on Earth

Christian man killed attempting land on North Sentinel Island.
    The local inhabitants have been well known to violently resist outside contact and all who have attempted to land on the island. I don't know who got the word to them but their response is not only understandable but during Thanksgiving, a smart move.
    All power to their arrows.

Click through to read a highly interesting thread on the Sentinelese

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1065841141201989632

Comment

Apparently they used to be fairly peaceful, until some white professor type started kidnapping some of them in the 1890s and taking them home to study.

Comment

Yeah the thread, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
          Apparently they used to be fairly peaceful, until some white professor type started kidnapping some of them in the 1890s and taking them home to study.
          Where is the evidence they are not peaceful people?

Comment

The details are crazy. The guy knew he shouldn't go there. He paid some fishermen to break the law and take him there. He had arrows fired at him the day before. He went back and they fired arrows at him again and he walked towards them. All because he thinks they need to hear about Jesus. Even though their language is unknown to outsiders.

I did read one comment that if you go to preach to people about someone coming back from the dead, it's only fair that they test that theory.

Comment

I hope they will be left alone. I fear they won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                Christian man killed attempting land on North Sentinel Island.
                The local inhabitants have been well known to violently resist outside contact and all who have attempted to land on the island. I don't know who got the word to them but their response is not only understandable but during Thanksgiving, a smart move.
                All power to their arrows.
                You apparently don’t know the real history of Thanksgiving.

In any event, being a religious nutter should not be a capital offense.
                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-11-2018, 04:41.

Comment

This type of incident happens from time to time. There was one at London Zoo when a friend of mine worked there. Someone climbed into the lions enclosure during the night in the belief that God would protect him. Unfortunately God forgot to tell the lions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    You apparently don’t know the real history of Thanksgiving.

Maybe not, but you can hardly apply our law or ideology to this case. If someone walked into a crocodile infested swamp and got torn to pieces you would ask the question 'what the fuck did they expect?'. The same applies here really.
                    And when you get to religious nutters who incite others to kill in large numbers like bin Laden or al Baghdadi then fuck it, they ain't gonna stop until they're taken out with a bullet or a bomb.

Comment

Mmm. While I get the point, I'm not comfortable with implicitly likening a barely contacted people with fierce carnivorous animals, y'dig.

Not that I'm trying to be Sam Wokes here.

Comment

Yeah I understand that. I was comparing the situation rather than who was involved. Obviously for the Sentinelese it was a defensive response rather than aggressive attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          It's actually illegal to attempt to land on those islands. Put simply, Westerners are potential plague carriers with regard to isolated people groups.

When religious people break the law to pursue their proselytising ends and put people's lives at risk I'm not going to shed a tear if they end up dead on a beach, left there as a warning to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                            Maybe not, but you can hardly apply our law or ideology to this case. If someone walked into a crocodile infested swamp and got torn to pieces you would ask the question 'what the fuck did they expect?'. The same applies here really.
                            And when you get to religious nutters who incite others to kill in large numbers like bin Laden or al Baghdadi then fuck it, they ain't gonna stop until they're taken out with a bullet or a bomb.
                            People are not alligators. And the prohibition against killing people is not merely “our ideology.” Death is still death.

It was a colossally stupid thing to do, but guy wasn’t, according to the story, armed or inciting anyone to violence, was he? Disease-transmission is a risk but this is not the way to enforce the rules against that. After all, they’d already been potentially exposed by the time they shot him.

No doubt, the people who killed him were not able to accurately assess the threat. Just a tragic misunderstanding.
                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-11-2018, 17:01.

Comment

I'm sorry and it is a tragedy but he knew where he was going and what the likely outcome would be. It's difficult to feel much sympathy for him.

Please leave those people alone. They have been living their lives for hundreds, thousands, of years. We have no right to go in there and change it for any reason.

Comment

Well said.

Reed, you seem to be ignoring the health threat, which is very real, as the islanders have found to their eternal regret in the past.

Comment

As did indigenous peoples in now what is called the Americas.

Comment

Castaway would have been a very short film if Tom Hanks had washed up on North Sentinel.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Well said.

Reed, you seem to be ignoring the health threat, which is very real, as the islanders have found to their eternal regret in the past.
                                      But shooting the guy after he’s already there probably isn’t necessarily going to help that and, again, that’s not how to deal with potential contamination.

Obviously, colonialism and other attempts to “civilize” these types of communities usually ends extremely badly. But taking delight in the death of a delusional idiot while romanticizing non-industrialized cultures doesn’t help anybody.

Comment

a delusional idiot
                                        These are the key words.

But shooting the guy after he’s already there probably isn’t necessarily going to help that
                                        Do you want to tell them?

Comment

I'm surprised that shooting strangers with a different skin colour or cultural heritage is considered such a bad thing by so many Americans. I thought doing that was an unquestionable constitutional right.

The key thing for me is this guy was willing to ignore his own Holy Book's advice to obey the authorities, and broke the law going there. So he was a bad Christian anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            I'm surprised that shooting strangers with a different skin colour or cultural heritage is considered such a bad thing by so many Americans. I thought doing that was an unquestionable constitutional right.

The key thing for me is this guy was willing to ignore his own Holy Book's advice to obey the authorities, and broke the law going there. So he was a bad Christian anyway.
                                            Well said sir 100% correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I’m not one of those.

Ther’s nothing especially biblical about what he did, though it has nothing to do so with “obeying authorities.” The God character in the Bible doesn’t talk directly to people and tell them to go places and “convert” the suspicious locals nor does he usually step in and protect “his people” in that deus ex machiba fashion. Indeed, the early church did so expecting to be martyrs.

This guy was either plagued by full-on hallucinations and/or was part of one of those insular pseudo-Christian communities that discourage real education and critical thought. Either way it’s a tragedy that it ended like that and not something to cheer.

Uncontacted or isolated people will probably end-up having to deal with the rest of the world sooner or later - climate change, plastic in the ocean, etc - so maybe there should be a plan on how to do that in the least destructive way possible. I don’t know whose job that should be, but it certainly shouldn’t be attempted by missionaries or enthusiastic amateurs.
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 25-11-2018, 02:49.

Comment

With Hot Pepsi and AHC on this. There's nothing positive in this story: not in the missionary's beyond-foolish attempt to infiltrate this community, nor in the barbaric way in which he was dispatched.

Comment

Forbes piece on North Sentinel Island from 2015, updated in light of the recent shenanigans.

I heard elsewhere that some Indian police have invaded the island "to locate the body". Bastards.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X