Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Little Drummer Girl (link to Le Carré thread in books)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Little Drummer Girl (link to Le Carré thread in books)

Has anyone else watched this six hour production yet? It's possibly my favourite Le Carré book, largely because it underlines the lack of humanity in subversive conflict, whatever its political motive. It's some time since I read it so I'm not going to compare this series to the book directly. The series kinda of grew on me. It's necessarily a slow burner and very talkie, but by the end I was fully engrossed. I can see why AMC ran it on three successive nights, I think they might have lost viewers over six weeks. A few scenes are extremely evocative. Charlie (the protagonist) asking her lovers to identify their scars — "Shrapnel, stabbing, bullet..." from the Israeli; "Golan Heights, Beirut, Jerusalem..." from the Palestinian. And the climax when one of them asks after his betrayal "Who's side are you on? Who are you?" "I'm...an actress." Which is simultaneously the truth, a validation, and a reluctant admission. Nice work.

Halfway through this, so will come back to the thread once we've finished.

Comment

We watched the last two episodes yesterday, having been waylaid by trips away and other commitments. After the first few episodes, I had wondered whether the high style of the direction and production design was entirely suitable for the content and themes (a question that could also be asked of The Night Manager and the recentish Tinker, Tailor,... film). Having said that, it looked great. Anyway, by the end these concerns had faded and the concluding episode was brutal and bleak in equal measure. The final scene, where Charlie goes to Gadi, was like a sinister mockery of a romcom finale. The cast were uniformly good, but particularly Florence Pugh in the title role, which must have been pretty gruelling.

Comment

Working...
      X