Breakfast Near Tiffany's - Weekend Matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast Near Tiffany's - Weekend Matchgoing

Rotherham United v Sheffield United. And it's on telly...

Griffin's Penultimate stand to see my lot. And it's on telly...

Comment

I'll be at Bradford City v Oxford United. Should City fail to win it will make it a calendar year since I've seen them win on a Saturday.

Comment

Off to that there London. Booked the hotel back in July and annoyingly I've landed on a rare weekend with no Friday night football in the capital.

On Saturday Welling United v Dulwich Hamlet stands out in the Trophy, or I might go to Hertford Town for their league game. A former Ms longeared was from Hertford so I peered over the fence at the ground once, though never been to a game there. Would be a bit of a nostalgia-fest as I haven't set foot in Hertford for the thick end of fifteen years. (In case anyone is worrying about stalking, she moved away elsewhere and a mutual friend saw on Facebook that she'd got married)

Chance I might go to Arsenal v Brighton in the WSL on Sunday but, you know, Arsenal.

Comment

The Burgh v Peebles and possibly Edinburgh City v Inverness CT in the Scottish on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
            Off to that there London. Booked the hotel back in July and annoyingly I've landed on a rare weekend with no Friday night football in the capital.

On Saturday Welling United v Dulwich Hamlet stands out in the Trophy, or I might go to Hertford Town for their league game. A former Ms longeared was from Hertford so I peered over the fence at the ground once, though never been to a game there. Would be a bit of a nostalgia-fest as I haven't set foot in Hertford for the thick end of fifteen years. (In case anyone is worrying about stalking, she moved away elsewhere and a mutual friend saw on Facebook that she'd got married)
            Hertford Town is my younger brother’s local club and I occasionally visit Hertingfordbury Park with him prior to speedway fixtures in nearby Hoddesdon. It’s a nice ground and I always enjoy it there.

If you’re really at a loose end on Friday night you could head to Richmond where London Scottish play Ealing in the Championship Cup but I know Union may be beyond the pale for you.

I’m off to Wimbledon v Southend on Saturday, hoping The Dons avoid a ninth league defeat in a row.

Comment

Thanks Ray. I had noticed the Scottish game and might potter along, though have been there before - a couple of years back for a derby with Richmond which was great, so I was kind of thinking the Championship Cup might be a bit shit in comparison.

Comment

Back to the UK for almost certain defeat at home to Boro. And it’s on the telly etc.

Comment

Karvina vs Slavia Prague in the Czech league.

Comment

Somerset Trojans vs Boulevard Blazers on Saturday afternoon for me.

Comment

Whitworth Valley v Cartmel & District in the Lancashire Amateur Cup

Comment

Off visiting family in Salop but Salop are playing elsewhere this weekend. Dad has mentioned Shropshire derby Shifnal Town v Haughmond but I don't think I'll bother. Depends on how Mrs Thistle is doing energy-wise. She might need a nap so I could sneak off with the owd lad.

Comment

Watching my 6 year old play football away at Gorebridge followed by taking him to Murrayfield for the Argentina game on Saturday.

Then watching him play rugby away at North Berwick on Sunday.

He’ll be knackered and the rest of my kids will think I’ve given up on them by Sunday afternoon

Comment

I'll be heading to Dover Athletic vs Hartlepool United to complete the National League.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                              Thanks Ray. I had noticed the Scottish game and might potter along, though have been there before - a couple of years back for a derby with Richmond which was great, so I was kind of thinking the Championship Cup might be a bit shit in comparison.
                              It might be OK, Scottish had 1400 there on a Friday night a couple of weeks ago for the Cup game against Richmond (but obviously that was a groundshare derby) so there could be a decent crowd.

The tournament has a point of interest in that the new high tackle line (in line with the armpits) is being trialled in it - not that that’s really something to drag spectators in I concede.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-11-2018, 10:40.

Comment

Utrecht against De Graafschap. Having convinced myself and family that the game was on Saturday evening I now find out it's on Sunday afternoon and I'm left thinking I must have missed a Saturday evening game somewhere.

Comment

Time depending, I'll either be at the same Welling vs Dulwich match longeared is considering, or down Lewisham Borough for that rarest of things, a match which they'll be favourites to win, against Snodland Town

Comment

Rochdale v Accrington Stanley

Since the World Cup ended a neighbour's lad has been perstering him to take him to a game. He'd hoped to be able to go to see his local team but unfortunately tickets for Old Trafford can be hard to come by. Luckily for him I was able to suggest the perfect alternative. It'll also be my 7 year old's first Rochdale game. I gave up my season ticket not long after she was born - the latter event along with the facts of my parents leaving Rochdale and the Accrington Manager arriving leading to the former. She's been to see Norwich a couple of times and in preparation learned all the words to On the Ball City! I don't think she'll have much trouble mastering, Dayull, Dayull.

It's going to be very interesting to see what sort of reception the returning John Coleman gets. No-one blames him for taking us down - the damage had long since been done by his hapless predecessor, Steve Eyre. The charge sheet against him is nonetheless a long and grubby one. During his year long tenure we went from being a likeable, albeit mismanaged collection of footballers to a bunch of diving, cheating thugs, one of many low points being when a fight broke out on the terraces after one of Coleman's signings, Bobby Grant thought it would be appropriate to wink at the Rochdale fans after diving to get someone sent off. Grant was a typical Coleman signing, albeit more talented than most. His other claims to fame include being one Steven Gerard's mates involved in the infamous DJ incident, and getting away with a charge of racially abusing a Dagenham player.

As well as producing a team that was impossible to like (though had they been successful things may of course have been different) Coleman also managed to drive a club legend, Gary Jones out of Spotland and will never be forgiven for that. Various rumours of drunken behaviour and general unpleasantness behind the scenes were rife. All told it's a period most Rochdale fans would like to forget. Except of course that football fans never do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                      Rotherham United v Sheffield United. And it's on telly...
                                      No trains tho'

It's the tram or the 'bus.

Comment

Joey Barton sent Bobby Grant to train with the u18s in September and recently said

“Bobby’s attitude, Bobby’s conduct, his communications, are poor; that is why he is not in the group.

Do I envisage a period where he will come back into the group? No, because the group do not want him in the group. I know Bob won’t like that. He will probably have something to say about it but you have got to be a good team-mate.

The premise of being at any club, you have got to be a good person.”

When you’ve got Joey Barton saying that about you, you really need to rethink your approach to life.

Comment

When did the "the group" become the ubiquitous term used by managers to describe the first team squad? Clearly it's bullshit motivational speak and Sean Dyche appears to be a major culprit in popularising it but any manager under 50 seems to love it.

Comment

I think it is a riff on "leadership group", which I believe is management speak originating in cricket and/or rugby union.

Comment

Bobby Grant didn't seem such an awful cove when he played for Shrewsbury.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                I think it is a riff on "leadership group", which I believe is management speak originating in cricket and/or rugby union.
                                                That term implies a group of senior/significant players while the football term seems to denote the the entire first team/regular matchday squad, the collective as it were.

Comment

Thus riff

It could also be that The Lingard/Squires combination has ruined “squad” for everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X