• Show
Clear All

Happy Thanksgiving

to all your thankers out there

Some things about the US I am thankful for
    • All you people on OTF
    • Soul music
    • The antifa movement
    • Jewish Voice for Peace, and everybody else in the US who fights against the mainstream racist anti-Palestinian sentiment
    • Colin Kaepernick
    • You lot again

Have a good one
    Last edited by ad hoc; 22-11-2018, 09:46.

I am thankful to be here in the US.

And to you lot on otf, from all nations, creeds etc.

I'm working at 3pm today, can't wait, but I have been promised "pumpkin pie ice-cream". Fairly sure that I will boak.

That aside, Happy Thanksgiving all.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post

I'm working at 3pm today, can't wait, but I have been promised "pumpkin pie ice-cream". Fairly sure that I will boak.

That aside, Happy Thanksgiving all.
      You can't go wrong with pumpkin pie and in ice cream form it sounds even more scrumptious. On the other hand my US cousin continually goes on about some sort of Starbucks pumpkin spiced coffee concoction. Now that sounds spew-tastic.

And Happy Thanksgiving to all too.
      Last edited by Greenlander; 22-11-2018, 14:23.

Comment

That pumpkin startbucks pish was on sale in Irish starbucks over Halloween. Wasn’t tempted.

Comment

I'm thankful America developed its own version of football. Not that I've anything against the US teams who do play in the soccer and rugby World Cups, but imagine if the whole juggernaut that is college football and the NFL had been devoted instead to "our" versions. The USA would have won at least five FIFA world cups and the idea of a Rugby World Cup would be about as pointless as an American football one.

Comment

Nah, we would have effed it up

Neither game lends itself to the control freak militaristic hubris of the USian white male psyche as well as gridiron.

Now, if black people here had taken to (real) football or rugby as they did to basketball or jazz, you’d all be in trouble.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. It is Minus 7 here this morning.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving, OTFUS. Have a lovely day.

Comment

I miss the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, one of the few times in the US where things briefly shut down everywhere.

There were Black Friday signs all over Frankfurt's city centre shops on Tuesday. I say that without judgment, of course, BUT HOW FUCKING STUPID AND FUCKED UP IS THAT?

Comment

I'm thankful for Thanksgiving itself. The best holiday.

Everything shuts. People have fun. There's no pressure. No presents. No obligations. You just eat, and see family or friends, and have a day off, and no religious overtones or undertones.

And it acts as a massive great big barrier against the presistent overflow of Christmas that tries to push earlier in the year elsewhere.

I'm also thankful for all kinds of things in the US, of course. I'm particularly thankful for how open and welcoming it is here (modern politics notwithstanding), how it's not hung up on the past.

Now I have to go out to a 5k charity turkey trot, which I will stroll with friends rather than run, and probably record my slowest ever 5k time...

Comment

Thanksgiving can actually be very stressful for people who are expected to travel to be with family. The travel is more spread out around Christmas, but for Thanksgiving, almost everyone travels on Wednesday and Sunday. It’s insane. And a lot of families insist on getting everyone together even though it’s very difficult and a lot of the family doesn’t get along. The annoying unsolicited dinner conversation with a Trump-loving uncle is now a standard stand-up comedy trope.

I’m very thankful my family is like that. Our attitude is that we’ll see each other at Christmas anyway so we don’t usually make a big effort for Thanksgiving. But this year, my parents and my brother’s family are here at my house this year and my brother, niece, and nephew are going to the football game Saturday.

Comment

FYI: Pumpkin Spice Latte does not contain or taste like pumpkin, just the spices that are used in making pumpkin pie (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, etc.)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on OTF.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving - does everyone have marshmallow? What's that all about? Re Hot Pepsi's contribution Was looking for a clip of the Ice Storm Thanksgiving dinner but it's no longer on YouTube sadly

Comment

Sweet potatoes mashed into a casserole dish with marshmallows melted on top. YUM!

Comment

Yes but did the pilgrims take marshmallows with them?

Comment

I wasn't there, so I can't say for certain.

Comment

Yeah, happy Thanksgiving people, peace & love and happy family moments. And I hope that the weather's fine for you wherever you are so you can go on a nice walk with relatives or friends, or tenpin bowling or watch a game (do you have NBA, NFL, base-ball etc on Thanksgiving day/break?)

Comment

Thanks, PF. Unfortunately, it's about -3C where I am, so I'll be mostly staying indoors today. There are gridiron games on TV today.

Comment

Originally posted by Pérou Flaquettes View Post
                                    Yeah, happy Thanksgiving people, peace & love and happy family moments. And I hope that the weather's fine for you wherever you are so you can go on a nice walk with relatives or friends, or tenpin bowling or watch a game (do you have NBA, NFL, base-ball etc on Thanksgiving day/break?)
                                    NFL definitely. One of the traditions is gathering round the TV and willing the Dallas Cowboys to lose

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                      NFL definitely. One of the traditions is gathering round the TV and willing the Dallas Cowboys to lose
                                      And watching the Detroit Lions actually lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        Thanks.

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                                        Thanks, PF. Unfortunately, it's about -3C where I am, so I'll be mostly staying indoors today. There are gridiron games on TV today.
                                        -3 in New-York, wow. Reasonably sunny and nice here in the North East atm, well yesterday I mean, a bit windy but sunny and about 9c (not today, very miserable today). This is yesterday on the coast for instance (dog is mine, dog carer had her for the day and walked her on the beach, she emailed me a few pics). How's your Teddy btw?

Comment

One other thing about American football on Thanksgiving is many, many, many cities and towns play their high school championship, or a big local derby, or whatever, on Thanksgiving morning. My dad taking me to Kezar Stadium to watch the San Francisco High School championship was a Turkey Day tradition for us.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving - does everyone have marshmallow?
                                            My family does sweet potatoes but not with marshmallow. Similarly we have green beans, but not green bean casserole.

Comment

Green bean casserole made with campbell's soup is very,very dodgy. Sweet potato with marshmallows is surprisingly OK, but so sweet that it's basically dessert. Pumpkin pie is shockingly bad. Turkey is the dullest meat.

Thanksgiving may be the best holiday, but it does not have the best food. Brown, sweet, brown, and flavourless and brown, with the lack of flavour masked by so much sweetness (and sweet spice).

Comment

All kinds of wrongness.

Comment

I've never understood how many Americans manage to eat two turkeys within a month, you can't have finished the pot-pie from the first one before the next is coming out oven. Up here at least there's a couple of months or so between them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X