Voice dubbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice dubbing

I guess most people know that the character Honey Ryder in Dr No was played by Ursula Andress.

But probably fewer people know that it's not Andress's voice we're hearing. The voice is that of Nikki Van der Zyl. Even more strangely, Van der Zyl's voice was also dubbed on to the speech of Dr No character Sylvia Trench (played by Eunice Gayson) and some others.

Does that happen often? I mean, I can imagine that they wanted a particular sound (sultry no doubt), and perhaps didn't think Andress or Gayson were quite up to it. But it seems odd that they couldn't choose actresses who both looked and sounded right, instead of having to dub one's voice over another's visuals. And using the same actress to speak multiple characters' roles is even odder.

Britt Ekland's voice in The Wicker Man was famously replaced with Annie Ross's because Ekland's Scottish accent was terrible.

Also ironically much of Debbie Reynolds' singing in Singin' in the Rain was actually done by Betty Noyes; and one of the scenes in the film where Reynolds is pretending to dub Jean Hagen's character's speaking voice, is actually the real voice of Jean Hagen dubbing Reynolds dubbing Hagen.

Comment

Marni Nixon provided the singing voice for Deborah Kerr in The King and I and An Affair To Remember, for Natalie Wood in West Side Story and for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.

Comment

It used to be dead common in screen musicals, even when the actors could sing. Carmen Jones is an extreme example. Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte and Diahann Carroll were all dubbed, only Pearl Bailey wasn't.

Comment

The un-dubbed Darth Vader (David Prowse) sounds awful. There are some clips around in the web.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
            The un-dubbed Darth Vader (David Prowse) sounds awful. There are some clips around in the web.
            Onezz Oi wazz yerr puple. But now OI AM THE MAZZDER!

Comment

The original Mad Max was dubbed. Into American.

Comment

The Monkees.

Comment

It's only recently that I found out that Michael J Fox didn't sing "Johnny B Goode" in Back to the future.
                  Allegedly Arnold Schwarzenegger offered to dub his speaking part in "The Terminator " but he was turned down because he sounded like a farmer!

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    It used to be dead common in screen musicals, even when the actors could sing. Carmen Jones is an extreme example. Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte and Diahann Carroll were all dubbed, only Pearl Bailey wasn't.
                    One of the more egregious examples was for Bugsy Malone, where the teen actors' singing voices were dubbed by adult singers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      The Monkees.
                      I don't follow. It was Dolenz and Jones on the vocals.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        Allegedly Arnold Schwarzenegger offered to dub his speaking part in "The Terminator " but he was turned down because he sounded like a farmer!
                        Is that true? I've watched the first Terminator film dubbed into German and the accent of the machine is definitely German, not Austrian. I always wondered why he didn't get to dub his own voice.

I asked a German, who replied, "because no one in Germany would fucking understand him."

Comment

I love the idea of the multiple-language version in the early talkies, where in many cases you'd have actors rote-learning the script in a language they didn't understand. Also discrepancies in intertitles between versions of silent films constructed for different markets.

Comment

"Saigon. Shit. I'm still only in Saigon..."
                            So begins Willard's narration in Apocalypse Now, performed not by Martin Sheen but by his brother
                            Joe Estevez, as Martin was variously recovering from a heart attack/drunk/crazy/pissed off with Coppola and therefore unavailable.

Not strictly dubbing, and I guess a character's internal monologue doesn't have to be in his own voice.

Comment

My mate, a trained and accomplished actress who’s won awards, gets nearly all voice work now, and a lot of that is dubbing on major films and TV series. If a line is indistinct, they fill in over it rather than haul the actor back to re-record it at the production stage, or if the noise in a bar can’t be used (too loud, too sweary, too many crisp packets rustling, whatever) they recreate that. Using stock clips doesn’t work that well, apparently.

Comment

In all of Jack Hawkins' later films his voice was dubbed by Charles Gray as Hawkins' voice had gone due to surgery for throat cancer.

Also heard once that Andie McDowell was dubbed in all the films she made.

Comment

She has a Southern accent, so she was definitely dubbed in the Tarzan thing, but I think spoke her lines in other films

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    I guess a character's internal monologue doesn't have to be in his own voice.
                                    Well, everyone does sound different in their own head. I mean, if you've ever heard your own voice played back to you...

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                      Brizzle Darth Vader was a great missed opportunity. Bet George Lucas is kicking himself.

Comment

I guess most people know that the character Honey Ryder in Dr No was played by Ursula Andress.

But probably fewer people know that it's not Andress's voice we're hearing. The voice is that of Nikki Van der Zyl. Even more strangely, Van der Zyl's voice was also dubbed on to the speech of Dr No character Sylvia Trench (played by Eunice Gayson) and some others.

It's not just Ms. Van Der Zyl's voice replacing Andress. When she sings Under The Mango Tree, her vocals are that of Diana Coupland, the same Diana Coupland who spent a good deal of her sitcom life starring opposite Sid James in Bless This House.

Comment

Schwarzenegger's lines in his debut, Hercules in New York, were all dubbed by someone else. Do watch it, it's tremendously bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                            Brizzle Darth Vader was a great missed opportunity. Bet George Lucas is kicking himself.
                                            Give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E

Check out Darth giving Leia an earful with his hands on his hips, like she's come home late again...

Comment

Is there equivalent audio for Darth Maul from the prequels? Peter Serafinowicz dubbed in the dialogue over the original actor (Ray Park)'s Scottish accent.

Comment

A guy I worked with many years ago did some TV/film extra work, and on an episode of A Touch of Frost, he played the part of a forensic scuentist. He looked quite convincing (he was skinny and bespectacled, so with a white coat he looked "boffin"), so they gave him a couple of lines as he handed over the lab results to David Jason.

However, as he wasn't in Equity, said lines were later dubbed by a professional actor. As the man in question was a compositor at a newspaper, he would have been very familiar with ensuring all tasks were completed by a person who was in the right union.
                                                I'm not sure if Equity still hold the same clout, especially in these days of structured reality shows and YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by gjt View Post
                                                  Is there equivalent audio for Darth Maul from the prequels? Peter Serafinowicz dubbed in the dialogue over the original actor (Ray Park)'s Scottish accent.

Unfortunately Park grew up in London so probably sounded as Scottish as Rod the Mod.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X