Hallo Sesamstrasse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallo Sesamstrasse

In almost exactly a year's time, it will 50 years since the first episode of Sesame Street aired in the USA.

I remember well when it came to West-Germany. In 1972 regional TV in several Bundesländern aired a pilot programme, in English, to gauge parents' reaction. My brother and I watched it with my mother. Afterwards she asked what we thought of it. Even though we didn't understand a word, we loved it. By 1973 it was broadcast in German on TV in almost all of West-Germany. Only the state of Bavaria banned it. By then I was, at 6 going on 7 years old, rather outside the target audience. And there were parts I obviously found dull. But there was still a lot to love for me. Oscar, whom I adored, Ernie and Bert (worryingly, I rather identified with Bert but wanted to be more like Ernie), and, above all, the Cookie Monster.

The love affair lasted only a year or so. But a year when you are 7 is a very long time. And even as I was older, I'd occasionally tune in when I was bored, because there's always be something to entertain me. Fast forward 20-odd years, and I bought Sesame Street videos for my son, introducing him to my old favourites, plus that new-fangled Elmo (an old Elmo shampoo bottle still stands on our bathroom shelf). I loved watching the old stuff with him. Subsequently I have downloaded, for me nostalgic enjoyment, episodes from the first few years. And I occasionally search YouTube for those great music clips.

Grover's my favourite, especially the skits where he's working somewhere and annoying the bald guy with the moustache.

Honourable mention to the Oklahoma bit with Kermit and Forgetful Jones.

Comment

Sesame Street is all kinds of ace. We are huge fans of Jim Henson's work in our house and Sesame Street was such a legacy to leave.

Kermit interviewing a Koozbanian on the planet Koozbane is just hilarious, however old you are.

Comment

#One Two Three Four Five, Six Seven Eight Nine Ten, Eleven Twelve#

Sesame Street was / is fantastic. Cookie Monster was always my favourite, although Guy Smiley and "This is Your Lunch" always raised a smile.

This post was brought to you by the letter "H" and the number "7".

Comment

Similarly, I didn't get to see Sesame Street until returning to the US when I was around ten years old. Obviously it was aimed at a much younger audience, but I thought the characters and TV-spoofs were great. (If it doubled-up with The Electric Company on PBS, even better.)

Yeah, Grover was my favourite too, with Cookie Monster a close second. Ernie and Bert were The 'Morecambe & Wise' of the set-up, while Oscar and Sherlock Hemlock always raised a smile. (Herry Monster gave me the bejeezus, however, while Big Bird rattled my nerves a bit.)

Pre-school TV that has never been bettered, basically.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X