Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid musical genres made up by desperate journalists.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to think of Ian MacKaye's bands as being more straight-edge/hardcore than they were emo.

Originally posted by George View Post
    What ''New Pop'' was seems incredibly vague to me. I'm increasingly of the view it was something that bullshitter Paul Morley pulled out of his own arsehole, and was then further propagated by younger writers who he influenced.
    In the US c 1982, some radio stations liked to speak of 'New Music', which seemed biased toward UK new wave, favouring in particular the likes of The Fixx, Wang Chung, Naked Eyes, AFOS, Leisure Process and Fashion - ie, bands that could barely get arrested back home.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      Wasn't emo just a reference to the comedian Emo Philips and his routines based on spaced-out angst and depression?
      Less Goth, more Harry Potter.

Comment

My lawn went through an emo phase.

Quite handy really, it meant it would cut itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
          I was always get confused by the whole emo thing. To me its the Washington DC Summer of revolution in 1985, with bands like Embrace (Ian MacKeye), Ignition and Rites of Spring.
          now there's a post i'm surprised somebody beat me to.

all the above, moss icon, indian summer etc. are emo. all this shite you hear called emo now is more like the ropey turn of the century metalcore (cf. posion the well, skycamefalling) that i may or may not have been into at the time. jimmy eat world and all this jade tree records stuff is basically the gateway from here to there, which is an unfairly cursed position in history to hold.

this is possibly the most old man post i will ever make here.

Comment

New Wave of the New Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
              I was always get confused by the whole emo thing. To me its the Washington DC Summer of revolution in 1985, with bands like Embrace (Ian MacKeye), Ignition and Rites of Spring.
              I don’t think the term existed back then.

Comment

For me, the classic emo bands include Split Lip, Sensefield, Christie Front Drive, Jawbreaker, Texas Is The Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, Mineral, and is nearer post-rock/post-hardcore than the current stuff, which is more pop-punk to my ears. It's all boys, wearing tiny backpacks, which contain nothing but a copy of Catcher In The Rye and flyers to other emo shows. Weirdly, 30 Seconds To Mars' early stuff, while being very much part of the new emo, sounds very old emo.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                  Re: Bored, Romo.

Indeed. Thrown together by those ex of this parish.
                  Indeed. I may have taken them to task about it. Probably was called a cunt for it.

Comment

Hmm, think I can guess who might have championed that fleeting and scarcely-worth-a-batted-eyelid trend.

Cowpunk - that was another, from the mid-eighties: Boothill Foot Tappers, Yip Yip Coyote, James King & The Lone Wolves, Lash Lariat & The Long Riders and their ilk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Cowpunk - that was another, from the mid-eighties: Boothill Foot Tappers, Yip Yip Coyote, James King & The Lone Wolves, Lash Lariat & The Long Riders and their ilk.
                      "And their ilk" doesn't do justice to the great survivors of that fleeting period, The Men They Couldn't Hang. Still going strong and have just released a new album.

Comment

I always saw TMTCH as more a punk-folk act - like an 'angrier' Pogues - although I'll concede that the name places them firmly within that group of acts.

And yes, they were/are pretty durned good.

Comment

I rather liked some of the cowpunk acts although the term is ridiculous. Jason and the Scorchers were a terrific live show as were Rank and File.

Comment

Hearing FischerSpooner rather unexpectedly on the radio this morning reminded me of the shortlived genre electroclash.

Comment

TMTCH and The Pogues both did an anti-WWI song. I had a false memory of TMTH being on Peel in 1983, before The Pogues, but this is false. In reality The Pogues recorded their debut in April 84 v TMTH July 84:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel...ons/1980s/1984

However, The Green Fields of France made #3 in the 1984 Festive 50 whereas The Pogues only made #45 (and were named Pogue Mahone at the time, although the Peel site does not acknowledge this).
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-12-2018, 08:14.

Comment

Whatever the fuck I am watching on ESPN and giving George Bush a temperate ability.

No, ma'am.

I will play my song again. You made my friend die, 28 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  My lawn went through an emo phase.

Quite handy really, it meant it would cut itself.
                                  This didn't get as many boos as it deserved.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                    Hearing FischerSpooner rather unexpectedly on the radio this morning reminded me of the shortlived genre electroclash.
                                    A hell of a lot of disparate acts seemed to find themselves lumped in with that 'genre'.

ARE Weapons were decent, though. Or certainly were when I caught them live.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                      This didn't get as many boos as it deserved.
                                      I disagree. I think it got precisely as many as it deserved.

Comment

I don't know whether they were cowpunk, but I once saw The Blubbery Hellbellies live and they were right excellent, they were.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                                          For me, the classic emo bands include Split Lip, Sensefield, Christie Front Drive, Jawbreaker, Texas Is The Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Promise Ring, Mineral, and is nearer post-rock/post-hardcore than the current stuff, which is more pop-punk to my ears. It's all boys, wearing tiny backpacks, which contain nothing but a copy of Catcher In The Rye and flyers to other emo shows. Weirdly, 30 Seconds To Mars' early stuff, while being very much part of the new emo, sounds very old emo.
                                          Jawbreaker are back, just announced a date at Brixton Academy next year.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                            I don't know whether they were cowpunk, but I once saw The Blubbery Hellbellies live and they were right excellent, they were.
                                            This is, of course, my opportunity to jump all over that, scrumpy-'n'-western-stylee: instead I'll just say that the Blubberies were indeed pretty entertaining.

Comment

Let's not forget industrial metal, which lets be brutal was nearer to Twisted Sister than Throbbing Gristle. With the possible exception of Godflesh and maybe a couple of Ministry Lps (Land of … and Mind) was abject. Dreadlocks and a barely used sampler does not qualify as a new genre.
                                              Last edited by Gert from the Well; 01-12-2018, 20:32.

Comment

This is, of course, my opportunity to jump all over that, scrumpy-'n'-western-stylee: instead I'll just say that the Blubberies were indeed pretty entertaining.
                                                Hold on a goddamned minute, bud. I was confusing cowpunk with a group of lardy asses in lumberjack shirts. You confused Scrumpy 'n' Western with The Kinks, Slayer, Nana Mouskouri, The St. Winifried's School Choir or somesuch.

Comment

You need to cut down on whatever it is you're doing too much of.

Comment

You need to cut down on whatever it is you're doing too much of.
                                                    Difficult to influence, particularly in November. What I'm doing too much of is "waiting for the good regulars to show up, rather than the regulars who turn up and want to bend my ear for literally hours on end about the price of meatballs at Lidl or the lack of parking spaces on main roads". In November, the latter outnumber the former by about four to one.

So I not only have to grasp every opportunity to interrupt conversations (i.e. their monologues), I also only have a limited amount of time to do so. My only (or, at least, my preferred) escape route is this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X