Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid musical genres made up by desperate journalists.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid musical genres made up by desperate journalists.

Someone was asking about "Fraggle Rock" today which was all that Mega City Four and Senseless Things malarkey - the term perhaps invented by Steve Lamacq. There there was Arsequake which Melody Maker tried to pass off with bands like Silverfish and Terminal Cheesecake. Any others? What was the "Newport is the new Seattle" one called? Metal is, of course, full of loads of sub-genres.

I suppose all genres are made up and fairly ridiculous but many were genuinely started by bands and their followers.

Romo springs to mind. Went a little bit too far (ie beyond Camden) before it ran out of road.

Comment

Grebo (mid 80s). Gay Bikers On Acid anyone? Or Dumpy's Rusty Nuts?
      Emo. Jimmy Eat World and the like. Unspeakable.

Comment

The point of Emo is to generate endless arguments about what is or isn't emo.

I like Jimmy Eat World. I don't think they're emo.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
          Romo springs to mind. Went a little bit too far (ie beyond Camden) before it ran out of road.
          Oh, that could be the winner. Was that the New Wave of New Romantic effectively?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            The point of Emo is to generate endless arguments about what is or isn't emo.

I like Jimmy Eat World. I don't think they're emo.
            Oddly, a sort of similar discussion happening in "Football"

Comment

I hadn't seen that.

What are the odds?

Comment

What ''New Pop'' was seems incredibly vague to me. I'm increasingly of the view it was something that bullshitter Paul Morley pulled out of his own arsehole, and was then further propagated by younger writers who he influenced.

Comment

Originally posted by adams house cat View Post
                  Gaye Bykers On Acid
                  Eyeroll. <winkything>
                  Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 16-11-2018, 23:54.

Comment

Yes, I edited that twice after realising. No, you're an idiot.

Comment

Re: Bored, Romo.

Indeed. Thrown together by those ex of this parish.

Comment

But Romo was a specific thing in a specific place, as I recall. Not just a category description.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                          What ''New Pop'' was seems incredibly vague to me.
                          If Morley said it, it was probably just anyone signed to ZTT.

Comment

Some nineties examples of the press at its worst:

Shoegaze
                            Awful name for bands that actually did have something in common, tbf (ie, listen to the Cocteau Twins/MBV a lot when they were younger).

Dadrock
                            All that retro Ocean Colour Scene-type stuff that immediately followed Britpop. (Not 100% sure how it differed from 'Noelrock', tbh.)

The Scene That Celebrates Itself
                            People from Camden who had nothing much in common other than the ability to drink their own body weight on a nightly basis at The Good Mixer.

Lion Pop
                            What the f*** was that all about? (Somebody on here once suggested that it was so-coined because of the way the singers - such as Jarvis Cocker, apparently - prowled about the stage. Just absolute b*ll*cks.)

And Jimmy Eat World are about as emo as I am.

Comment

Wasn’t Romo just Orlando? Or maybe just Dickon Edwards?

Comment

There were also DexDexter and Plastic Fantastic, if memory serves. And maybe others I've forgotten.

Comment

New Pop was quite a broad term for late '70s/early '80s artists from an independent background who went on to achieve commercial success, often with a more polished, expensively recorded version of their original vision, I thought. It's fair enough to be suspicious of tags but the success of ABC, The Human League and others did seem to have a quality specific to its time and place.

Paul Morley is great. That people still get annoyed at the thought of him 35 years later is a measure of his achievement.

Comment

I thought fraggle rock was a bit earlier than that, being associated with the Wonderstuff? I seem to remember Fatima Mansions having 'Fraggle rock nein danke' badges.

Mega City 4 and the Senseless Things were just bands who supported Snuff, but never as good despite probably achieving greater 'fame'

Comment

We can also added raggle taggle to the list, which may have been the subject of the Fatima Mansions ire

Comment

Jimmy Eat World were emo but emo changed.

Comment

I was always get confused by the whole emo thing. To me its the Washington DC Summer of revolution in 1985, with bands like Embrace (Ian MacKeye), Ignition and Rites of Spring.
                                          Last edited by Gert from the Well; 17-11-2018, 11:57.

Comment

Wasn't emo just a reference to the comedian Emo Philips and his routines based on spaced-out angst and depression?
                                            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-11-2018, 11:51.

Comment

Emo = emotional hardcore

Comment

Crap-rock, wuss-rock
                                                / Simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post
                                                  We can also added raggle taggle to the list, which may have been the subject of the Fatima Mansions ire
                                                  I can remember someone getting entertainingly wound up about the singer from Hothouse Flowers going on television with no shoes and dirty feet. It may have been Cathal Coughlan or Mark E Smith.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X