Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    A weld?

A rivet?

A clamp?

A bolt

A cup

Invariably fall down, not up.

Comment

I s'pose there's a difference between 'common usage' and 'generic', but I'd argue the case about a few of these. Pampers is very much the brand, surely? Unless asking specifically for the latter, new parents only really talk of either 'nappies' or 'diapers', don't they? ('Diaper' was the inventor's name though, was it not? In which case, add that.)

I can remember hearing the trade name Elastoplast used on a kids' TV show (ie, instead of 'plaster') in the seventies and being fairly surprised, given the hoo-ha about surreptitious advertising on television programmes back then.

Comment

Stanley knife

Comment

Frisbee

Comment

Rizla

Can't believe it's taken until the third page.

Comment

Q-tip
              Band-Aid

Not here, obviously.

Comment

In Hungarian /Romanian "pampers" is the commonly used term for all disposable nappies

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                  Rizla

Can't believe it's taken until the third page.
                  We were all stoned and, erm … forgot.

Comment

Kärcher?
                    Sellotape (sticky back plastic).
                    Baby Bio (UK).

Comment

Our facilities managers get stroppy here if I use the term "portakabin" to describe our temporary buildings, as portakabin is indeed a brand name (and not the brand we use either). The only problem is, use of it as a descriptor is so ingrained that if you use their preferred term - modular building - none of the staff know what the hell you're talking about.

Mrs b has started using the terms "iPhone" and "smartphone", and "iPad" and "tablet" interchangeably. As I regard Apple as a dangerous cargo cult, I'm not in agreement.

Comment

Logan, Kärcher makes all kinds of neat stuff, but is virtually unknown over here.

Are you thinking of their power washing equipment?

Comment

Yup, widely used in France and I assume elsewhere on the continent.

Comment

I would say that in the UK they're easily the best known manufacturer of pressure washers, without quite being synonymous with that type of machine. Domestic pressure washers are a comparatively recent thing here, compared to other items of garden/outdoor equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              In Hungarian /Romanian "pampers" is the commonly used term for all disposable nappies
                              Really? Okay, happy to stand corrected in my Pull-Ups.

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                              Sellotape (sticky back plastic).
                              It mightn't be what you're saying at all, but Sellotape and sticky-back plastic aren't the same thing: the latter refers to whole sheets of adhesive plastic as opposed to thin adhesive tape, ie, the former. (Perhaps the prolific usage of both by Val Singleton has seen them morph into one?)

Comment

It was "sticky tape" for Sellotape (or other transparent tapes) - "sticky-back plastic" probably referred to Fablon and similar

Comment

Yes, Fablon - that was the name I couldn't summon.

Comment

Frigidaire can be used to call a fridge in France instead of refrigerateur or the more common frigo

Comment

We were taught that frigidaire was the "proper" term in the early 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        Really? Okay, happy to stand corrected in my Pull-Ups.

Pull ups can be a type of loafer. Best to avoid any confusion on this before going about your business.

Comment

What, as in footwear?

In what way might one ever 'pull them up'?

Comment

U-Haul (US)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              What, as in footwear?

In what way might one ever 'pull them up'?
                                              No idea, the shoes concerned are the preppy Bass Weejun type but no obvious explanation springs to mind.

Comment

bubble wrap

Comment

Stetson
                                                  Leading on from Mac: Pac-A-Mac
                                                  Pritt Stick
                                                  Tarmac

I would love to say to that twat Dyson, "Oh, I think your Dysons are the best Hoovers there are"

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  Portakabin (as Private Eye loved to remind us)
                                                  A friend of mine used to pronounce it "Por-take-a-bin" because, you know, you can taken them (although they are not bins).
                                                  Last edited by Bored Of Education; 15-11-2018, 20:38.

Comment

Bubble wrap? Really?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X