• Show
Clear All

Riveting pops.

Comment

Have we had jeep yet?

Comment

Duck tape / WD40, as in the engineers catch all advice

Comment

A couple from Spain: Albal, generically used for tin foil. Also Danone, for yoghurts.

Comment

I'm increasingly hearing 'Google Maps' as a verb. "No problems, I'll GoogleMaps it."

Comment

If 'bubble wrap' is somehow a trade name, then it isn't a very good one.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_wrap
                The skinny on bubble wrap ™, with some worrying news.

Comment

Winnebago

Comment

On the tape front, Irish and UK customers ask can they use my Sellotape, North and South American and Europeans always say Scotch.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Duck tape
                      It's duct tape, isn't it? The Duck brand was conceived to benefit from sounding similar to that.

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        On the tape front, Irish and UK customers ask can they use my Sellotape, North and South American and Europeans always say Scotch.
                        Ask for that in Newcastle and you'll likely be given a pint of bitter. Obstinate ghets.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                          It's duct tape, isn't it? The Duck brand was conceived to benefit from sounding similar to that.
                          Yes. But now people tend to say duck

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            Yes. But now people tend to say duck
                            I think that might be as much a victory for poor enunciation as for Duck Tape's dominance of the field.

Comment

There's a gap in the market for a product named Duct Ape, but I'm not entirely sure what it would be. However, I may too late.

https://apetape.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                In Hungarian /Romanian "pampers" is the commonly used term for all disposable nappies
                                That's commonly used in Germany too, but as a weird plural/singular noun: "Hast Du ein Pampers?". I also heard people using diminutives like 'Pampy' or 'Pampies'.

And an Allen key is called an Inbusschlüssel (from the original name Innensechskantschraube Bauer und Schaurte) - until about 2 minutes ago, I thought it was Imbusschlüssel...

Comment

No doubt treibeis has a view on that.

We heard "Pampers" a lot in Germany as well. The traditional Windel appears to be increasingly restricted to cloth or other Öko versions.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                    There's a gap in the market for a product named Duct Ape, but I'm not entirely sure what it would be. However, I may too late.

https://apetape.co.uk/
                                    There's a Gorilla glue and tape brand too. Wonder if one was set up to, erm, ape the other?

Comment

Originally posted by JVL View Post
                                      That's commonly used in Germany too, but as a weird plural/singular noun: "Hast Du ein Pampers?". I also heard people using diminutives like 'Pampy' or 'Pampies'.

And an Allen key is called an Inbusschlüssel (from the original name Innensechskantschraube Bauer und Schaurte) - until about 2 minutes ago, I thought it was Imbusschlüssel...
                                      Don't fucking start with "Imbusschlüssel". Twenty years ago, I used to write instruction manuals. They - the wankers, my nominal superiors - used to "correct" the "n" to an "m" in my "Inbusschlüssel". One of them once tossed in a "Herr treibeis, it's high time you learned German" as well.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        Twenty years ago, I used to write instruction manuals.
                                        It is insight like this that make sense of the put-put empire.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                          Indeed. I spent the first 25 years of my life here being told I was wrong by people who had more letters after (or, here, before) their name than I had. Not because I was wrong (sometimes, but mostly not), but because I had fewer letters before/after my name.

You don't get that with crazy golf. You get called a cunt, of course you do, but you can give it "No, YOU'RE the cunt" without having to fill in forms and attend a disciplinary hearing.

Comment

Other football manufacturers probably make smaller than usual balls, but I will always call such items "Mini Mitres"

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                              Indeed. I spent the first 25 years of my life here being told I was wrong by people who had more letters after (or, here, before) their name than I had. Not because I was wrong (sometimes, but mostly not), but because I had fewer letters before/after my name.

You don't get that with crazy golf. You get called a cunt, of course you do, but you can give it "No, YOU'RE the cunt" without having to fill in forms and attend a disciplinary hearing.
                                              Hey. You told us we weren't allowed to call it "crazy golf". If I remember correctly you were quite rude to a fellow poster for using the term in relation to your prestigious course. Not like you I know.

Comment

It's a slippery slope. It'll be a solid nine holes of windmills and dinosaurs by Christmas, with novelty onesies available to hire from the hut for players who have forgotten to bring their own.

Comment

I nominate Wi-Fi as the most commonly used trademark.
                                                  Invented by what became the Wi-Fi Alliance as a slightly snappier way to say "IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence".
                                                  And it doesn't stand for wireless fidelity, it is just a pun on Hi-Fi (which somewhat surprisingly is not a trademark).

Armco barrier is overused by certain motorsport commentators.

And Heras fencing for any sort of barrier around a construction site.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                    Er....putt-putt....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X