Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's them Olympics goin' eh?

They ain't.

Calgary voters reject a second Winter Olympics in a referendum — 56% – 44%.

It's likely this kills any further Canadian bids for the games. If a sport oriented city like Calgary, who'd already hosted one successful games, torpedoes the idea then no one else will to go to the time and expense of brown-nosing the IOC.

What year were they shooting for?

Comment

Comment

Maybe back to Salt Lake?

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4904585

Not sure what this means for the Flames chances of getting a new building, but that article suggests the voters are more interested in that than the Olympics - as they should be.

Speaking of the NHL, I wonder if the NHL’s departure from the Olympics damages its chances of winning favor in cities that care about hockey. Probably not a decisive factor, but it’s one more thing that makes the olympics less appealing than it otherwise might be.

Comment

Probably. Certainly the Hockey finals were the hardest ticket to get when Vancouver hosted.

Comment

I suspect that would be true in the US and probably Sweden too. Not sure about Italy.

Comment

There is a good chance the IOC is going to end up with no bidders.

We are now down to Milano/Cortina, which has been told it will not get a single Euro from the Italian Government and Stockholm, which has little political support and would in any case have the Alpine events hosted 500 km away in Åre and the sliding events in Latvia.

Comment

I thought there was a high risk of that happening (and even for the summer Olympics in a couple of cycles). Nobody has yet suggested a solution that the IOC would accept - the IOC seems to imagine an endless supply of Russias and Chinas desperate for international recognition.

If we do get down to zero bidders, are the IOC finally forced to cut back on their ridiculous requirements?

Comment

No. They will just instigate a world war to hide from their failings.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    I thought there was a high risk of that happening (and even for the summer Olympics in a couple of cycles). Nobody has yet suggested a solution that the IOC would accept - the IOC seems to imagine an endless supply of Russias and Chinas desperate for international recognition.

If we do get down to zero bidders, are the IOC finally forced to cut back on their ridiculous requirements?
                    That article I linked suggested they have cut back their requirements, at least for the winter games. But maybe not enough.

I suspect that the supply of Russias and Chinas and Qatars wont' run out for a while.

I also have a feeling - perhaps a wish - that TV advertising won't always be the cash machine that it is now, which means that the broadcast rights - especially the US broadcast rights - to things like the Olympics won't be worth as much as they are now and this will cause a big problem for the bloated games. It's also going to be a problem for American football, I hope.

Comment

Working...
                    X