Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some fixture advice 15/16 December (London or Birmingham)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some fixture advice 15/16 December (London or Birmingham)

I'm going to be in Leicester for work 12-15 December (checking out of hotel on the morning of the 15th) and am looking for some recommendations about football options in either Birmingham or London. I fly out of Heathrow on Monday (17th) so London might be better plus there would be more opportunities to see DIY punk shows at night (esp on a Sunday night).

Anyway, Sky lists Palace at home (15:00) and Fulham at home (17:30) on Saturday the 15th. I assume Spurs is still playing at Wembley and that's just not a very exciting option for me in terms of an experience. Watford is also at home but I don't know how far away that would be from other football options and/or DIY punk spaces. If I go to Birmingham then Villa would be the best option. So I have a few questions: (1) Is there any chance in London or Birmingham of seeing more than one game in a day? Maybe a non-league game followed by an EPL match or something lower than top flight that isn't showing on this fixture list Ive pasted below? (2) Or is it possible to do Palace and Fulham given those start times? Fulham is hosting West Ham so that might affect ticket availability. (3) I have also pasted the fixture list for Sunday, which looks like nothing in either city. Is there anything lower down the pyramid that would be do-able on Sunday in either city that Sky isn't listing?

https://www.skysports.com/football/f...-december-2018

I have some contacts in Birmingham but figure I will add this here about London even thought it might be better for a "So London then" thread in World: Any tips about affordable places to stay in London that would be easy to reach when coming from Leicester (esp. if also easy to reach various football grounds and DIY punk spaces)? I know that's a big ask but I figure it's worth tapping into the collective knowledge of the forum.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1) I don’t think there are two games you could do together in London or Birmingham on the Saturday

2) I can’t see any way you could do both the Palace and Fulham games, getting anywhere from Selhurst Park is a nightmare.

3) Seemingly nothing at all at any level in London on the Sunday (which is peculiar) or Birmingham (which is less of a surprise).

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
      I'm going to be in Leicester for work 12-15 December (checking out of hotel on the morning of the 15th) and am looking for some recommendations about football options in either Birmingham or London. I fly out of Heathrow on Monday (17th) so London might be better plus there would be more opportunities to see DIY punk shows at night (esp on a Sunday night).

Anyway, Sky lists Palace at home (15:00) and Fulham at home (17:30) on Saturday the 15th. I assume Spurs is still playing at Wembley and that's just not a very exciting option for me in terms of an experience. Watford is also at home but I don't know how far away that would be from other football options and/or DIY punk spaces. If I go to Birmingham then Villa would be the best option. So I have a few questions: (1) Is there any chance in London or Birmingham of seeing more than one game in a day? Maybe a non-league game followed by an EPL match or something lower than top flight that isn't showing on this fixture list Ive pasted below? (2) Or is it possible to do Palace and Fulham given those start times? Fulham is hosting West Ham so that might affect ticket availability. (3) I have also pasted the fixture list for Sunday, which looks like nothing in either city. Is there anything lower down the pyramid that would be do-able on Sunday in either city that Sky isn't listing?

I have some contacts in Birmingham but figure I will add this here about London even thought it might be better for a "So London then" thread in World: Any tips about affordable places to stay in London that would be easy to reach when coming from Leicester (esp. if also easy to reach various football grounds and DIY punk spaces)? I know that's a big ask but I figure it's worth tapping into the collective knowledge of the forum.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
      Your best bet, on the Saturday, is probably something at Step 6 and below, at which level floodlights aren't mandatory. Hence, early kickoffs (1.30pm or 14.00) are the norm. The Middlesex County Football League (Step 7) which covers West London has the following fixtures:

Brentham v Kensington Dragons
      C.B. Hounslow United Reserves v Sporting Hackney
      FC Assyria v Lampton Park
      Hillingdon v Indian Gymkhana Club
      Pitshanger Dynamo v Larkspur Rovers
      South Kilburn v Tottenham Hale Rangers
      St Panteleimon v Cricklewood Wanderers

But doesn't list kickoff times yet. You'd still probably struggle to make a 15.00 kickoff from any of them but could then do Fulham v West Ham. In East London the league is the Essex Olympian League, but they haven't published fixtures yet.

The other option that presents itself is the South Kilburn/Wembley double as the grounds are less than ten minutes walk from one another.

I think 15/16th December is an FA Trophy weekend, so Conference National teams will all be playing but don't have fixtures yet and many Step 2, 3 and 4 teams could see alterations to scheduled fixtures. That's also going to mean that teams that groundshare with Conference/Conference National teams might see their matches moved to Sunday.

In terms of DIY punk, the obvious choice is DIY Space, which is close to both Millwall and Fisher.
      Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 12-11-2018, 10:11.

Comment

"Indian Gymkhana Club"

Ace.

Comment

The Middlesex County league is great. There's a Greek Orthodox team (St Pantaleimon), an Assyrian team (FC Assyria), a Polish team (PFC Victoria London), an LGBT team (Stonewall), a team that provides homeless and vulnerable young people with opportunities to play sports for free (Cricklewood Wanderers), a Gallego team (Deportivo Gallicia), and Indian Gymkhana which is the football team of a cricket club formed in the 1920s for anglo-Indians.

https://twitter.com/nonleaguedayuk/status/916754798766108673

Comment

I don't think that South Kilburn still play on the pitches at Vale Farm. I'm not sure where they play now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              I don't think that South Kilburn still play on the pitches at Vale Farm. I'm not sure where they play now.
              Osterley Sports Ground apparently...

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post

I think 15/16th December is an FA Trophy weekend, so Conference National teams will all be playing but don't have fixtures yet and many Step 2, 3 and 4 teams could see alterations to scheduled fixtures. That's also going to mean that teams that groundshare with Conference/Conference National teams might see their matches moved to Sunday.
                Ah, the Trophy weekend might explain the relative lack of fixtures on my source, the Groundhopper app, as it tend to lag a little on cup competitions (and is also glitching on non-league kick off times at the moment).

BLT’s mention of early kick-offs also reminded me of the potential of seeing Southern Amateur League games as they similarly rarely have floodlights. A few of them play in Chiswick which would mean Fulham’s game would be very accessible. They do seem to largely play on public pitches, though I’m interested in getting to Polytchnic’s ground at some point, fixtures will be here.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-11-2018, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                  "Indian Gymkhana Club"

Ace.
                  Pffft, what about Crouch End Vampires?

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply. I was working very late last night. I appreciate the tips. It seems like maybe a non-league game followed by Fulham could be the way to go and then I'll see what happens with FA Trophy. If there are FA Trophy games on Sunday then I might just opt for Palace or Fulham.

The DIY Space came up in my searches so I've got that bookmarked as well. It looks like they have stuff most nights of the week, which is great.

Comment

I don't know if anyone who posted before or will come to this thread knows anything about ticketing for Fulham. They still don't list any general sale tickets for the match on the 15th (hosting West Ham), just for season ticket holders. But they have already opened general sale tickets for the match that follows this one. I haven't booked a hotel in London yet because I was waiting to see what would happen with this match. Palace also does not seem to have general sale tickets yet for their match on the 15th. Fulham would be my preference. Does anyone know, given your experience, if something will go on sale?

Also, any news about FA vase games on Sunday? I don't see anything listed on the Internet about games on the 16th. (Or any other non-league games on the 16th in London.)

There are tickets for Villa-Stoke but I was hoping to go to London instead of Birmingham.

Comment

I’m not a season ticket holder but am on Fulham’s database and can buy tickets now. Happy to get you what you need, scattered tickets are available.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                          I don't know if anyone who posted before or will come to this thread knows anything about ticketing for Fulham. They still don't list any general sale tickets for the match on the 15th (hosting West Ham), just for season ticket holders. But they have already opened general sale tickets for the match that follows this one.
                          I would imagine that there being no general sale available is related to who the opposition are, and Ray being able to buy tickets as an existing customer would seem to confirm that. My lot are playing at QPR at 3 pm that afternoon. You might be able to get from there to Fulham in time though you would probably need to be thinking about a taxi and I've no idea what traffic may be like.

Comment

Thanks, Ray. I just sent you a PM.

Comment

Not willing to take in Spurs vs Burnley at Wembley? For shame, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                Not willing to take in Spurs vs Burnley at Wembley? For shame, sir.
                                Won't it be a sell out with the thousands of Burnley fans packing out the venue?

Comment

Can’t win the lottery without gambling on getting a ticket.

Comment

Working...
                                  X