What if you played a gig but no one showed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Following “major” sports in the US can definitely give one that impression.

i would expect that the guys on your high school football team actually had some idea of what they were doing.
    I'm not sure what this refers to.

But the guys on my high school's football team when I was in school may not have had much idea of what they were doing. At least not football-wise. They lost a lot of games in those days, including to significantly smaller schools, and had a disproportionate number of guys who fit the "dumb jock" stereotype. It's changed now. The team this year is 11-1 (losing by a respectable score to D1-prospect-laden Harrisburg).

Comment

Ah, I expected that they would have been better back then.

Comment

Following “major” sports in the US can definitely give one that impression.

i would expect that the guys on your high school football team actually had some idea of what they were doing.
        Did this post jump from another thread?

Comment

Can a support band buy onto a tour and, if so, what level of headliner/ venue would thirty grand get you. At least that way he'd have played in front of some actual punters. They may even have bought one of those many CDs.

Comment

It would certainly be unsurprising if the terrible press from this fiasco ended up drumming up some 'morbid curiosity' trade for his later dates.

Comment

No, it was in response to

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              Somehow I got the idea into my head that if you weren't at least pretty good at something within the first few months of trying it, you probably never would be and you should move on to something else.

Comment

I'd love to know more about opening /support acts in general. My take after 35 years of gigs is that they're a newer act on the same label as the headline, or even friends of the band being thrown a bone.

Katy Perry had a dreadful opener a couple of years ago named Ferras, and he was a new signing to her private label.

Steve Earle always has a husband and wife duo called The Mastersons open, as they're 2/4 of his touring band. So I guess they double dip, which is fine. And they even have their own merch.

Springsteen never has anyone.

Comment

Ah...okay. Went lateral and lost me.

Comment

My town has seen some terrible gig attendances over the years. I've been in plenty of single digit crowds for bands that have already had an NME review. Not that it means fuck all on the superhighway to stardom but The Snapdragons, The Bachelor Pad and Emperor of Ice Cream are three that went on to do precisely nowt of note.

More surprisingly though was eight of us witnessed a gig by Gallon Drunk who, by this stage, had three albums behind them. James Johnston didn't let it bother him though as he bounced off the stage and spent the enitre gig serenading us face to face.

There's probably scores of these under attended gigs across the country all the time, but I doubt any bands have paid thousands for the privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      It would certainly be unsurprising if the terrible press from this fiasco ended up drumming up some 'morbid curiosity' trade for his later dates.
                      I was speculating upthread as to whether - perversely - he might even carve out some kind of career from this...

Comment

Ooo...yes, just saw it. In my defense that was a really long post...

Comment

Yeah, being in close proximity to a successful D1 sports program sorta leads one to think that playing at that level - or at least D3 - ought to be the goal.

But I got that message in music and art too. Name any field or human endeavor and there was probably somebody in my neighborhood or the parent of some kid at my school who had a PhD in it or was working on a PhD in it (or an MFA), so that was sort of the unspoken standard. There were a few kids - including one that later animated for Pixar and is directing animated features now - who could draw extremely well from age 8 and I thought "well, that's what an artist looks like at our age" and the guy who plays sax/flute with The Roots on The Tonight Show was in the class behind me and I thought that's what a "real musician" was. *

I suppose that's true of a lot of schools. I think I was just wired to put myself down and have the most negative attitude toward my own abilities and value, because my parents have always been extremely supportive.
                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 13-11-2018, 18:08.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                            Ooo...yes, just saw it. In my defense that was a really long post...
                            It was?

Comment

Working...
                            X